Forums > Social Discussion > Gay marriage across the glode

Login/Join to Participate

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
hello, i just want to know/discuss how gays and gay marriage are accepted around the world,

there has been all this conflict about gay marriage here in the U.S. i i realized i didnt know anything about attitudes towards gays in other parts of the world.

I know that Amsterdam is a big city for gay marriages, (last year they had more gay marriages than straight)but thats about it, so tell me all about it, what are the policies and attitudes in your part of the world?

peace and luv> hug

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Canada recognizes gay marriage, and allows non-citizens to get married. Canada also allows partners to immigrate together.

Australia looks to be accepting of same sex marirage as well...I think it was Tazmania that passed an initiative legalizing same sex marriage.

I don't know about same sex marriage in the UK, but I do know if you live with someone for a year and aren't British, then you can immigrate as their common law partner.

As you know, the US is in a state of flux regarding same sex marriage. There's huge inequity between heterosexual couples and homosexual couples.

I think...the EU is working on making same-sex marriages or civil unions accepted and legal.

Mind you...I don't have indepth knowledge on any of those places except Canada and the US.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

SpitFireGOLD Member
2,723 posts

Posted:
Now that's interesting. So...that might mean a couple from the states could get married in canada, then move to the UK if one of the partners was British? I wonder....

SunriseIvetka
211 posts

Posted:
hi,

in slovakia u arent accepted to be gay...between ppl...so i dont talk about legalizing gay marriage... frown

the true is that some ppl accept u of course who is open minded...hug
but when u walk trought street hand by hand????u meet lots of ppls opinions-positive wink or negative eek.../more negative/

but we have there some gay bars..so u always can escape there...heh

hope i helped u a bit...with yr knowlage of gay marriages around the world.. smile

sunny
grouphug

SpitFireGOLD Member
2,723 posts

Posted:
Slovakia sounds much like the US was not 30 years ago. We've come a long way, certainly, and I'm grateful for the progress we've made. Unfortunately, we still have a long way to go.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
SpitFire said
Written by:

Australia looks to be accepting of same sex marirage as well...I think it was Tasmania that passed an initiative legalizing same sex marriage.

No, not really, although there will be some benefits re super etc.

Mr Howard, the Australian Prime Minister, was very quick to back Bush in condemning same-sex marriages after Massachusetts allowed same-sex marriages.

I'm not sure about the status in Tassie. I know that until recently (last few years) being gay was a crime.

For more info see:
Gay marriage ban not intended to offend: Howard
Govt to outlaw gay marriage

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

free_spiritstranger
5 posts

Posted:
hey all...im not gay but this is a topic that is really close to my heart. it angers me that political decisions such as banning gay marriages and same sex parenting goes on. i believe that love is the most beautiful, important emotion that man can ever experience and i think that depriving someone of this is as low as it gets...beyond words. everyone deserves the chance to find happiness.

HOMOPHOBIA IS SO GAY!

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
try here for a fairly round-the-world look:

https://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/04/world/main604084.shtml

hug

Neph

everyone's unique except me