Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Left handed onehanded flutterby

Login/Join to Participate

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Right so far I've refrained from asking anything here, thinking that most things can just be worked out logically so why bother, but this is bugging me so here I am.

For the record I'm using a meteor here not poi, but same difference eh?

Ok, right handed I can butterfly fine, picked it up quickly, nish problems, but trying to transfer to my left hand just doesnt work, it lashes around my arm or crashes out straight away. I've tried soooo many times and no matter how I hold it it goes horribly wrong. Mmmm maybe its because I'm doing a "right handed" butterfly or something methinks, so I re-learnt butterfly but left hand over right rather than the other way round, so I won't have to transfer, I'll just do exactly what I was doing with my right hand, but totally opposite. Does it work? No, no it doesn't.

I honestly don't get whats going on, I'm sure what I'm doing is an exact mirror of what I do with my right hand, but I can't even get 1 cycle once I let go with my right hand, it just lashes straight up my arm and flies into my balls.

Is this a normal problem or is one of my hands just decended from Jeremy Beadle? Please help oh 1337 ones.

Davy

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
It's probably just your left hand/arm not being as good as your right and your planes are going squey. Just practice without the transfer and see how it goes. Practice practice and your arm will soon get it....or you could have JB syndrome ubbangel

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I can try to tell you exactly what you need to do but its gonna be hard to explain through text so bear with me, Ill try to make it as easy as possible.

Pay close attention to finger position throughout the move though because this is really the only way Ive found that works perfectly.

1) Start out doing a normal forward TTN (using both hands)
----- At this point, the poi should be held between your fore fingers and thumbs.
2) As both poi intersect at the top of the circle, grab your left poi between the fore and middle fingers of your right hand..
----- You will now be doing a forward 1-handed butterfly in your right hand.
3) Now, grab the top poi (the one that was originally in your right hand) between the fore and middle fingers of your left hand.
----- You will now be doing a normal reverse TTN using both your hands.
----- At this point, you should have one poi between each fore and middle finger.
4) Next, grab the remaining right poi between your left thumb and fore finger.
----- You should now be doing a reverse 1-handed butterfly in your left hand.
5) Lastly, grab the bottom left poi between the thumb and fore finger of your right hand.
----- You should now be back where you started doing a normal forward TTN using both hands with the poi between your thumbs and fore fingers.

I hope this gets you the results you need. If this is exactly what you are already doing, its just a matter of practice and getting it down.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Perfect explanation ICoN, cheers! That's helped a whole load, and while everything still has a certain Beadle-esque quality to it, it works and I can continue to play until it doesn't look raspy.

Big thanks, Davy.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Good explantion icon...you're quite useful aren't you! biggrin

If you can do it with your right hand, do like icon says and put them between your pinky and next finger and your index and big finger (or thumb & index) and while they're going round just put your left hand over the right hand and slot your fingers round the meteor the same way. So basically just chop out the middle move and do them both at the same time. I find it really helps to keep the timing fluid...if that makes sense!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Yeah yeah this is going well! I'm now playing round with rotating round it. How to explain... like the meteor stays where it is and I spin 180 degrees under it so im on the other side facing the other way, while transfering hands. Seems to be working about 50% of the time, but if there is another "perfect" magic finger trick I'd love to hear it, you guys are so usefull smile

thanks
Davy