Page:
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
This is a bit of a shameful admission... redface
(god, it feels like the intro to a Poi Anonymous meet)

I've been playing poi for two years... and I still haven't mastered the hyperloop/chain-twist-then-untwist move.

My big ol' heavy dogchains just ended up spinning at chaotic speeds, usually finishing their demented spin by hitting me in the face...

I've been lurking in homeofpoi forums for a good while now, and someone always mentions the benefit of sock poi... of course, I thought I knew best... cos it's always best to get used to the weight of your firepoi, right?!!

Ahem... no. Yesterday, for the first time (!!!), I made up some sock poi, and... managed a fairly nice hyperloop straight off!!!! Wayhey, joy and delight... biggrin

Course, I then spent the rest of the afternoon kicking myself round the garden for not trying it sooner... lol. I reckon with a bit more refining, and now I know the basics, I might even get it with my chains... weavesmiley

Just wanted to y'know... share ubblol
Take care xoxo

Getting to the other side smile

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
How cones look like?

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Unboundednewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Personally ive never really seen any joy in sock poi. I tried it once then i just grabbed some shoelaces and glowsticks.. when i got better i made a really nice set that i occasionaly rave with. The problem with glowsticks is .. it doesnt have as much of a danger factor as fire .. and girls usually think glowstick ravers much less cool than people spinning fire. So i started going to the beach and spinning fire and its been quite fun! I mean glowstick or sock spinnning is fun and all (glowsticks at least have a light trail) but fire really gives that extra booost to the trance/adreneline rush!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
ubblove socks i've had mine since before xmass and i love them to bits.............plus it was a good use of my redundant glowballz.

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
its such a shame that general punters are "oooed" and "aaahed" by fire and less so by glow/sox/tails/whatever..

they just dont seem to appreciate sox (or whatever) as much as spinners-in-the-know do..

i was in this parade late last year (think it was a xmas parade :P), and i started off just spinning my sox, thinking, yeah i'll give them some wowisms.. but noone cared.. until i pulled out my fire and everybody had thought-bubbles above their heads with (you guessed it) wow flashing in neon lights...

fire shmyre!

but maybe this is just because they're so popular. if everybody disliked fire, im sure id like it more...!

*artistic license ensures no liability for exagerated tales of wowness*

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
I agree with ya fully shen..
I love spinning socks... didn't really think I'd care so much for fire.

But lately, I've been falling more and more in love with fire... with the organic flames and how they dance in isolation...

socks is where it's at tho!

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unbounded

Personally ive never really seen any joy in sock poi. I tried it once then i just grabbed some shoelaces and glowsticks.. when i got better i made a really nice set that i occasionaly rave with. The problem with glowsticks is .. it doesnt have as much of a danger factor as fire .. and girls usually think glowstick ravers much less cool than people spinning fire. So i started going to the beach and spinning fire and its been quite fun! I mean glowstick or sock spinnning is fun and all (glowsticks at least have a light trail) but fire really gives that extra booost to the trance/adreneline rush!

i love newbs the more you do poi the les ans less you will find you use fire

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

mr squirrelmember
37 posts

Posted:
Written by: CrazyHippyChick

tails are soooooooooo much prettier than sox!!!

erm, while they are being spun or sitting on a shelf?

Written by: Vixen

yeah but my socks just stretch loadz!!!! damn topshop! hahaha

if you spin them fast, they will do - but the higher degree of control you have, the less they stretch.

did i leave the iron on?

Unboundednewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mint Sauce

Written by: Unbounded

i love newbs the more you do poi the les ans less you will find you use fire

smile Ive been raving with glowsticks and strings for years and decided that fire would be fun to try. Also people are much more amused by fire than neon lights.

EpsilonKiasNote to self... Fur + Fire = Hurt.
107 posts

Posted:
No offence. But it's not "raving" with glowsticks. It's glowsticking (Or stringing if you are doing poi with the lights)

Anyways. I've been using socks for a while. First to help me get used to the weight of fire poi, then to help me with tangles that I cannot do with glowsticks.

They work extremely well for all sorts of stuff and damn... Good throws are abound after you knot the ends.

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
or glowsocking?

having a weighted handle opens up many possibilities..

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

dawn2duskBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
>_> I converted to socks just now... I didn' t love them and I didn' t love tails, too biggrin I liked those you call cones (or something similar : /): cords and a weight. Nothing easier smile... only cords were starting to cut off my fingers biggrin coz I used to wrap them around...
My poi-friends went on to tell me: sooooocks... sooooocks.... what are ya doing with that silly stuff? And I continued not to listen... then there was a contest where I used very complicate poi with double cords and silk tails, and that was a torture... they made me sick, they weren' t comfortable. So I finally decided to make my own socks (even if I already had some, but I had never cared about making them or take care of them or weight them rightly). So now I have them. Absolutely PINK smile (but I wish I had UV *__* :Q______)

***Feelings are anarchist - I feel - I am an anarchist***

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey Richee, sorrys, just saw your question...

Cones are like these:

(lovely Drew-designed ones, modelled by the effortlessly lovely Olivier)

[image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9608&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=2[/image]

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Meh?!

Why didn't that work?

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
I'm currently trying to learn to do those crazy sock poi hyperloops that never seem to end, its not so easy but I got one to last for 10 seconds once.

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

dawn2duskBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
>_> then cones and socks are the same? I thought cones were these

***Feelings are anarchist - I feel - I am an anarchist***

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ohhh... now I'm confused.

That link is to traditional Maori poi, neither socks or cones. confused

The cones I'm talking about are called socks in the HoP shop...

But when I was talking about socks, I meant knee length (stripey rolleyes) socks with rice in the end. Cones are the strips of material sewn together, so they don't have any bounce or reverse spin floppiness (ahem, or that twisty thing that happens when you stall knee-length sock poi).

Lol, we're probably all talking about the same thing under a different name.

Jeez. That's not like HoP. Usually things are so clear

wink

Page: