Forums > Social Chat > how long is fire time?

Login/Join to Participate

roguemember

Posted:
how long does the fire last?i haven't lit up yet, as i'm still nailing the back of my head!

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
ive lit up and managing to be nailing the front of my head *rubs sore spot from last nite*.depends on how old the wicks are...3-4 mins or so average isnt it??

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There are alot of variables in this one, what type of wick, size, soaking time, fuel type..etc....My towel wicks last between 6 to 10 minutes.Hope you heal soon.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Im getting used to coming out of our sessions with a black face, all in good fun smile

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've conducted tests on this and found that it depends on your wick construction and fuel type. Basically, more volatile fuels, like Coleman gas, burn off faster than less volatile ones, like kerosene or lamp oil. Interleave (cathedral) wicks burn longer than tube-core wicks by a pretty big margin. There are probably several other factors, like wind, humidity, twirling speed, and whether your left elbow itches. Best case scenario during my tests: lamp oil with interleave wicks will give you 8-9 minutes. Worst case: about 3:30.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

adrianmember
58 posts

Posted:
it all does depend on many thngs...i find that my poi last just that lil bit longer then most cos they have no tube core...only cable so i fit more wick in...but the type of fuel is a bigun in burning time.the one thing to remember is dont burn your flame till it goes out, especially if your usein a kevlar wick...if the wick dries out too much it will burn, this is a bad thing,it will crack and burn and will need replaceing far sooner then it should, a good rule of thumb is when the flame is flickering low when spinning fast, blow it out and rejuice....and a few bumps on the head is to be expected btw.oh and frenzie....those blackened faces look great on you.....hehe :P------------------ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
I've found that when using my towel wicks soaked in ordinary lamp paraffin, ive had burns of over 20 minutes. The only problem is the towel wicks only burn once and the last five minutes are usually more of a dull glow, but hey. I find it well worth spending 5 minutes making a pair of wicks just to get 15 minutes of bright flame. CAINED AND UNABLE

bobrobmember
61 posts

Posted:
Yeah! Is there any way of getting a really long burn, like an hour or something?? 3-4 minutes is SOOO not long enough to really get into it...I've talked b4 about using some kind of resevoir (maybe in the tube core) to get longer burns... anyone ever tried this???

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Bobrob--I've thought about the reservoir idea myself, and I think it would be a *really* bad idea. My main concern is that you'd have an enclosed metallic vessel of fuel that might either get heated to flashpoint or admit a spark, and then explode, which might leave you minus an arm or something. Now, this is just me speculating, and I'm not a trained pyrotechnician or anything, but it just seems really risky.I've wondered if perhaps there aren't solid fuels, where the entire wick would basically be a brick of fuel. There are these fire-starting bricks (for use in campfires etc), although they seem to burn fairly quickly.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

adrianmember
58 posts

Posted:
just a personal thing hrer...but i kinda think a good 10 minut burn for me is all i can handle at once with my poi, anything after that and my arms would fall off winkbut it would be something to see someone go for an hour in one hit...------------------ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yeah I agree Adrian!I certainly couldn't keep pulling out the moves for more than 5-10 minutes...I reckon it'd get a bit repedative too...with 20+ minute sets...Josh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Cained and Unable....If you smother out your towel wicks sooner...before they hit the dull glow stage...they will last longer than one use.Mine usually last at least 5 uses, sometimes more depending on how long I let them go (usually 7 minutes, no longer than 10).I agree with everyone else too. Our stage show is 25-30 minutes long and I tell you, when I have been out of it for awhile...my arms complain afterward!!!!I use free weights (the little hand ones in 1, 3 and 10 pound increments) and they do help.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK