• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Discussion > UK Voters - How's it going?

Login/Join to Participate

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted:I'm listening to the live coverage of the Local Council elections on the radio, although my city's results haven't been announced yet.

I'm not sure whether I'll be losing any sleep over not knowing until the morning. One thing I was particularly concerned about this year was the British National Party. I checked the candidates last week and, seeing no BNP candidate on the list, I was breathing many sighs of relief. However, on opening my ballot paper at the polling station today, I found that there was indeed a BNP candidate standing: probably a last minute decision. Needless to say, they did NOT get my vote. It could turn out that this month is a very apt time for my family and I to move away.

Has your council been up for election? If so, did you vote? I'm not angling to find out what you voted, so don't feel you have to state that. I'm just interested in the reasons why you did or did not vote.

If you're in the north, did you only have the option of a compulsory postal vote? How did you feel about that?

Have the results for your area been announced yet? Are you happy with them?

This isn't exclusively for UK voters - I'd be very interested in hearing views from outside the country as well, particularly as the European elections were also held today smile

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete Topic

Eera
BRONZE Member since May 2003

old hand

Total posts: 1107
Posted:The impression I was getting was that most people can't tell the difference between a local and a national election, a concept even the media can't grasp with all their "It's the biggest test of national opinion before the big one" stuff going on. Last time I looked a local election was to govern ward-wide issues and a European election was to decide the proportion of MEPs, issues completely different from electing the National government so therefore your opinion about Iraq shouldn't come into it.

The population disagree.

Though my own political leanings tend to be centre-right I vote Liberal in the locals as they're the only party which oppose building 10000 houses on the Hamble peninsula, and they got in so we'll have fields for the next 4 years at least.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Delete

Dunc
GOLD Member since Aug 2003

Dunc

playing the days away

Total posts: 7263
Posted:I bloody fell asleep when I got in from work and woke up at 9:50 so couldn't get there to vote ARRR! Although I hear this morning that labour are now 3rd pace in the running so I guess we're in for a conservative govt next year frown I wish the popultion would wake up and realise that there are more than two party's to vote for.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

oli
SILVER Member since Jul 2003

not with cactus

Total posts: 2052
Posted:i voted for the first time smile

twas fun, yet a bloody bizarre experince. lots of old ladys and scared looking shuffling old men.

its probably all a bit pointless as where i live no matter what, conservative will win frown but still you can only hope ey smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

flid
BRONZE Member since Aug 2002

flid

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3136
Posted:i didn't vote. I thought i was registered at my parents place, but wasn't. I knew I wasn't registered at uni, so, that's that. Found my registration card in a pile of paper at uni by the front door today, obviously the person who picked up the mail a few days ago just assumed I didn't care frown

Delete

Pink...?
BRONZE Member since Apr 2002

Pink...?

Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured

Total posts: 6140
Posted:My area (Reigate and Banstead) is still Conservative.
They have been Conservative for decades. why can't people see we need a change? ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Delete

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted:Well, the results are in. My ward is still Liberal Democrat, the party I voted for. They're not the most revolutionary of councillors, but the best out of the choices we had regarding our area. Southampton is still under no overall control, as is the area I'm about to move to.

I'm extremely concerned that over 100 people in my ward alone voted BNP. They didn't win a seat, but it's scary to think that over 100 people who share their views live within 10 or 15 minutes walk from my home frown

I won't benefit from most of the Liberal Democrats further term here, but I like to think my vote has at least benefitted my neighbours of the past 3 years smile

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete