MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I'm not sure if this post is in the right place, but if not, I invite any moderator to move it to a more appropriate place.

Ok, so as many of you know I'm a medical student. What you may not know is that I'm pretty heavily into Complimentary and
Alternative Medicine (CAM), herbs, homeopathy, that sort of stuff.

So today we actually had some naturopaths lecturing to us and I asked one of them about ginseng. I'm going to share it here because I'd bet that some people here might use it. Here's what I learned:

*There are two major types of Ginseng, Eluthro and Panax . Eluthro is commonly known as Siberian Ginseng. Panax is a genus that comes in two varieties, American and Asian, a.k.a. Korean, a.k.a. Chinese. These two varieties are very similar, medicinally.

* Eluthro raises body temperature, causes some sweating, and elevates your blood pressure, but that's about it. Not really worth taking. Panax , on the other hand, is anti-inflammatory and seems to increase physical endurance.

*You can get ginseng and its extracts in various commercial teas and beverages, but they are often loaded with adulterants, their potency is unpredictable, and they often contain both Eluthro and Panax . For this reason, this is not recommended.

*If you want to try using ginseng to enhance athletic performance, do so as follows: Buy some organic ginseng root. Prices vary, but good ginseng is a few hundred US dollars a pound. A two week's supply costs maybe US$5. Make sure that the root is relatively uniform in color and that it has no mold growing on it. Many health food stores carry ginseng root, but do NOT get pre-ground ginseng as oxygen can damage the active compounds!

Grind up the root (use a coffee grinder; ginseng root is a bit softer than balsa wood, so grinding it by hand is a pain in the forearm). For each teaspoon of ground root, add one cup of water to a pot. Boil the root in the water for 20 minutes to make a tea (technically, a tea that is made by continuous boiling is called a "dicoction"). Monitor it because it likes to boil over!

This can be kept in the fridge for a week. Drink about one cup a day for two to three weeks. Then stop for a week or two. Then start again.

*You'll notice changes in your athletic performance often on the first day you start using ginseng, but it may take as long as a week to notice any differences.

*You should not use ginseng if you have high blood pressure or are taking medicine to lower your blood pressure; you are taking blood thinners, antiplatlet drugs, or anticoagulant drugs; or you are taking a stimulant prescribed by a doctor. Do not mix ginseng with ephedrine-containing products like Ma-Juang.

Be well.

[ 16 May 2002, 17:05: Message edited by: MikeGinny ]

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
quote:
Changes in your athletic performance!!!
A "friend" of mine was seeing a sweet boy who was taking this stuff. Shall we just say:- phwoarrr!!! Grrrrrowll!!! Like a tiger!!!

How come everything on this board eventually comes back to sex?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
I think the stuff kinda tastes like ass

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Nah, you're think of Canadian Beer

Besides, the advantage is, if someone else is taking it, all you have to do is keep up!!!

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

poppymember
15 posts

Posted:
good one.

I'm studying natural therapies in Australia starting next year. What's it like there?? i'm really keen to do an exchange to the UK or the USA in my 2nd - third year.
I spose u know about weight loss herbs????? brindleberry, fennel, chromium for cravings, what else is good????????

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
hmmm. thats weird. i spoke to my mum tonight (she works with a natropath) and shes getting me some siberian ginseng tablets, to deal with stress.
so yeah, Eluthro is being marketed commercially, in Australia at least.

i only realised i was stressed when i was constantly tired, yet had insomnia, my hair was falling out, and my skin got really really dry. yuck.
at least upcoming exams mean i have no social life right now. i feel shitey.
these herbs better work.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
for reducing stress I prefer using damiana (turnera diffusa) or dream herb (calea zacatechichi). the dream herb works beautifully for insomnia as well.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Poppy, to answer your post, I am not studying naturopathic or herbal medicine, I am studying regular, modern medicine. CAM is a side-interest of mine.

For weight loss, I don't have much knowledge of herbs. I used diet and exercise and lost 45 pounds (that's about 20 kilos for those of you who use a sensible measurement system). I've heard that green tea helps you burn fat if you have 3-4 mugs a day. But I didn't use herbs for that.

That said, there are herbs for this, herbs for that.... I think it's important to realize that herbs are useful, but that they are much like drugs. And what's more, they can have interactions with drugs. (And I mean "drugs" as in medicines, not just recreational ones). It's best to get plenty of exercise, drink plenty of water, eat right, and stay relaxed through whatever behavioral trick you have. I use yoga, meditation, and swimming for relaxation.

Yeah, drugs (whether herbal or chemical) are a part of life, but it's possible to go overboard. That's my general comment on the issue.

Peace.

-Mike

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
quote:
A "friend" of mine was seeing a sweet boy who was taking this stuff. Shall we just say:- phwoarrr!!! Grrrrrowll!!! Like a tiger!!!
Lol, you bet'cha
I hear damiana is good for that too.

I found that when I'm tired and I need to not only stay awake, but to function as well, ginsing is waaaay better than coffee or most anything else. With coffee your body get wired but your brain is still all fuzzy. Ginsing gives you more evergy and improves concentration, and its more of a natural energy. Ginsing is brilliant stuff.

Jesus helps me trick people.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Puppy,

Other thing about Ginseng is that you CAN sleep on it, unlike coffee.

But it lets you stay awake.

-Mike