dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
OK, I've seen a few pics now of people spinning what looks like 3ft wide fire (see some of the pics at this page to see what I'm talking about https://www.infire.at/fotos.htm
). I'm wondering if anyone knows how this is done. Is fire rope involved? Inquiring minds want to know.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeah I reckon so.I bought some fire rope a couple of weeks ago, but I havent made them up into Poi-like swinging instruments yet...time...Josh

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I have a set of fire *swords* . They are a 1.5 foot wick with an 8 inch chain. you swing them like poi and they look awsome!!!!! They dont burn for very long tho only about 1-2 mins. Usually save them for finales.One love.Thistlefirepixie

Are we nearly there yet?

Tedwardmember
30 posts

Posted:
I use fire Swords as wee, but they're modeled after the Katana. 2.5' of V shaped aluminum trough filled with wick, a fire break, then a handle. Because of rotational inertia, the tip of the sword tends to burn better than the rest so the flame tends to be a 2.5'x1' fan.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Do you weight the handles on the swords? I've been toying with the idea of making myself a pair...

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

tkerbymember
30 posts

Posted:
HiMy flatmate made some poi similar to that called 'Fiery wings of death'. They cosist of wrapping your wick around a chain in a spiral and then feeding a thin flexible wire (bicycle brake cable in this case) through the wick and weaving between the chain links. The cable ends are tightly tied. You just cant stop without burning your hands though!

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Yo waz up. Well, the way to get wide flames if by making a cross between a set of poi and a set of whips. Same principles apply but instead of using chain and whicks(tunnel) you use chain and kevlar rope which can be bought fromhttps://www.renegadejuggling.com/Web_store/rev3k/index.htmlInstructions for whips are here. https://www.csu.edu.au/faculty/arts/commun/cycle/manual/fire/whips.htmI
suggest instead of using simply rope put chain or chord at the top near the handle to stop u getting burned and to give them a more poiey feel.Let me know if this is any help man.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

Tedwardmember
30 posts

Posted:
My first one was just wick, aluminum strips and wood. My advance model included welding the aluminum and adding a cross guard. When I re-worked the wick on it, I did add some weight to the pommel. Counterweights gave me half again as much speed, but reduced some of my flexibility (the more tip heavy it is, the easier it is to get in really tight circles).

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Here's the options I know of.1. Normal chains, weave the wicking strips in and out of the links. I do it in foot long intervals on a 10 foot chain for the middle six feet. Makes a cool jumprope which can then be doubled over (hanging on to both handles in one hand) and swung poi style...makes a wide flame.2. Double wick your poi. They are heavy but they are cool to see.3. Fire whips. Macrame strips of kevlar around a leather or otherwise thick non-burning type core. Fashion the leather up into a handle and it is a fire bullwhip. Leaving it short with tendrils of wicking hanging from it makes it a cat o' nine tails.4. Taking a normal sword, drill a small hole in the tip enough to attach a mini-bolt through. Do the same about five inches away from the hilt...or however far you are comfortable with (making sure the blade is dull or course). Do a four strand tight braid of wicking. Bolt at one end and then at the other. Makes for a wide flame and it burns longer than a minute. Yeah. I think those are the ones we have. Not unique but since I don't know how others have designs I thought I'd share..... grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
Lots o good ideas (as usual)! I just went out and made myself a set of rope-wick chains. Just got cotton rope, cause I want to see if it'll work before I invest in kevlar fire rope. Gonna play with it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
OK, fire ropes rule! Unfortunately, 'cause I only used cotton rope, they were destroyed after three spins. I made a second set for a show on Saturday, and everyone loved them. They look really beautiful, and aren;t any more scary to spin than poi. I highly recommend them.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
okay, slow down. kevlar rope supplier: cheap pleez? we live in backwards South Africa and looking for this stuff hasn't helped us any. the denim burns to ashes in just a few spins and the effort required to rewick my chain rope is just too much to think about....thanx for the help.o-o

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I got my Kevlar rope from www.renegadejuggling.comI think I'm gonna have to prepare my ropes for the thursday night beach burn smile)Seeya,Josh