Forums > Social Chat > Whats the longest you've....

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
ever stuck at one hobby or recreation? I know everyone has spun for some time, but i'm interested in what you did before this. Did it influence ur style or descision between staff/poi or both?

I did irish dancing for 12 years until i realised it was totally uncool and highly embaressing. Okay so i could say "hi, i got to the world finals" but everyone would be like "aye, in that fookin lord of the dance shite..."

i also figure skated for ten years, this has defintly helped me when chucking my staff under my legs

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

Fairy Ladymember
63 posts

Posted:
I don't know how much this influenced my style, but I was a distance runner for 8 years, i think that helps me twirl for hours on end.
I did ballet, jazz, adn gymnastics for 6. Which may help with my creativity with the poi and how fluid i became quickly.
I did belly dancing for about 1 year before i started poi and my friend says it looks really cool when i do the poi and belly dancing together.
But then i also did cheerleading for 7 years which probably hasn't effected the poi at all.
I was a theatre major in college which pretty much taught me to try anything and explore.
I think the reason i chose poi over staff to start was simply the fact that they are attached to me made me think i could not hurt others as bad (did anyone see where my flamming staff landed?)

Just for the record, I know of lord of the dance, but never have seen it, but I think Irish dancing seems to be very intricate and disciplind. And as for the figure skating that is damn impressive!

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
hee hee, i will convert the world to irish dancing oh yes oh yes... man i couldnt do that to you!!

i also worked in a theatre for four years which was cool for using my imagination and learning to consider an audience.

its funny i bumped into my ex dance coach at a feis recently and told her what i was doing now. I think she belives i joined a cult!!

Ooops!

vic xx

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
you have joined a cult.
the HOP cult, malcolm is our master, and we obay his every comand.

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
oh shit yeah....

and i thought i was just "experimenting"

vic xx

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by TwirlyVic:
I did irish dancing for 12 years until i realised it was totally uncool and highly embaressing
BZZZZt! wrongo!
it IS cool, and don't believe that you think it embarassing .. how could you do it for 12 years unless you love it as much as i!
especially if you're over 11 years old..

to be sure.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I have skiied for 21 years. I am 24 years old.

Do the math.

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Hobbies I've stuck at include:
I've been a mad keen fisherwoman for the past 30 odd years of my life.
Mad keen bromeliad enthusiast for over 10 years.

Neither of which have anything to do with twirling

Tanyamember
5 posts

Posted:
I've been doing marching for 19 seasons - coaching for the last 12 years.

Training girls on baton twirling now - first squad of it's kind in NZ - hence, the added interest in short fire sticks.

Cheers! TARN

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hobbies hey?

Hmm I played softball for about 7 years. I don’t know if this has added anything to my fire arts. But I would say after being a catcher for most of those years, I do have the ability to have strong balance while being low to the ground and very fast reflexes, which might help in my style. And I do remember at some games attempting to twirl the bats, then juggle them. I stopped this very soon after I dropped a bat on my toe. It hurt, stupid things we do hey?

I also did gymnastics for about 4 years. That was a long time ago, but I still can do a lot of the floor, bar and beam routines. I would say this had helped my fire-twirling to an extent, not only because I am still quite flexible, but I am also able to choreograph body routines to suit the tricks I know.

And I used to roller blade for about 5 years, and have always enjoyed ice skating very very much. Although I haven’t tried doing either of these with fire …. yet I am still thinking about how I am going to do it…

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Ah, back to twirling. I haven't been able to get on here in forever! But her it goes...danced for 13 years (ballet, modern, jazz, point, allegro, company, teaching...), played soccer (rep competitive) for 6 years...x-country for about 6 years. Those are the ones that stuck.

Now here's how they affected my spinning: after 13 x-rays and 2 bone scans in 3 years they told me that if i didn't calm down i was going to kill myself. No contact sports, no running, no jumping...you name it, i wasn't allowed. But they didn't say anything about fire. AH! a loophole! So I started spinning. The dance helped with the coordination (alot) and by the time i was done with soccer, getting hit with a ball on the end of a chain was pennies compared to dislocating my kneecap, popping it back in and playing defence for half an hour on that and 2 torn ligaments and chipped patella!!!

Keep everything wonderful, it's better that way.
Luv,
*Space*

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
well the only thing I've done for a period of time is roller hockey!! that was 4 years but when I moved from leicester I had to stop cause there arn't any teams where I live now Oh yeah and caring for Rocky my pet is a kind of hobbie (I think) wether either of those affect my spinning I don't know but the little man on my shoulder tells me I'm ok

Spike

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
I played badminton really seriously for about 10 years and was one of the highest seeded players in the UK for a bit but then I just stopped enjoying it and its competitiveness. I also did quite a bi tof martial arts.

Since then I put a lot of time into DJing and producing drum and bass and still do. But I love my staff more than anything for being relaxing yet invigorating and I guess that my old and new hobbies have helped with hand and eye co-ordination for staffing.

Vrery impressed by some of the hobbies oyu guys have talked about too.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

ishkasallymoBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
Wow everyone seems to be really into things... Persnoally I never had a proper hobby before poi, sad but true... May have had something to do with growing up in the middle of nowhere with absolutely nothing around, what I would've done for poi back then!

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i have taken Martial arts for the past 12 1/2 yrs.
I played baseball or a few, but i broke my wrist and i never played organized ball again. Im more into Basketball, i collect comics, im an avid comic book collector, and i masturbate on a regular basis.

Super'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I've been taking Aikido for about 10 years
dancing of all kinds a few years when I was younger, horsebackriding (actually VOLTIGE which is tricks on horse's back like in the circus... what is it called in English ????) for 4 years.
And so many more things ...

I think only aikido and belly dancing influenced my poi directly allthough any of those probably helped with balance and having an idea of how to move my body

and I tend to get similar patterns in any hobby : a few years (or months, depending how "hooked I am) of passion, then reason... and inbetween I have breaks and moments where I don't do it at all and then back on the saddle as we say
know what I mean ?

shine on
cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Well lots of people seem to have had crazy lives before poi, it's nice to know that there are people out there just like me

From the age of 6 I started doing judo, my father thought it would be a good idea to learn something that might help me in this mad world that we live in (bloody good idea). I stuck with judo for about 13 years, in which time I reached black belt by the age of 10 and represented my country for 4 years running. During this time I also did gymnastics and horse riding (to help my balance). Myself and judo finally came to a traumatic end when I was about 19, I was devastated for a very long time and felt that nothing would ever give me the same adrenalin rush as getting on a mat and fighting someone you don't know..........how wrong was I?

I've now found something I really love doing for me, yeah you guessed it staff and poi. I've got another addiction....help. Not only is it an activity that helps me keep fit, but it's also helped me make many new friends all over the world....(that's you guys!)

Family and friends think it's great that I've found another hobbies that gives me just as many bruises and cuts

Well that's all folks

Bam

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
i used to play squash (raquetball on steroids) and i have very fast reflexes from that, so i dont kill people often with a flailing glowstick

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

Odissimember
14 posts

Posted:
Wow, I kind of (well, used to) figure skate too, I think it has helped with being able to stand on one leg with relative ease - tee hee, and be able to tolerate extreme cold, but apart from those life - benefitting qualities, has not been too helpful in poi... but, I DO like the idea of fire poi / ice combination of some sort, sounds very umm, mystical...
Jolly good

EMILY xx

Squeak, moo.And what IS so funny about peace love and understanding??

Odissimember
14 posts

Posted:
Wow, I kind of (well, used to) figure skate too, I think it has helped with being able to stand on one leg with relative ease - tee hee, and be able to tolerate extreme cold, but apart from those life - benefitting qualities, has not been too helpful in poi... but, I DO like the idea of fire poi / ice combination of some sort, sounds very umm, mystical...
Jolly good

EMILY xx

Odissimember
14 posts

Posted:
(ooooh rats - sorry)

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
hmmmm....this topic is rather misleading...
*Kaos attempts to drag his mind out of the gutter, but after failing do so runs off before the HoP cult has his ass for defiling their holy tradition of misleading subjects*

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I have a lot of years of martial arts (Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, kenjutsu, bo/jo/han-bojutsu, a little bit of aikido, a little bit of shao-lin kungfu, and some shoto-kan karate) under my belt. Which gave me a leg up with fire perfoming as I became proficient with a whole crapload of weapons.

I play several musical insterments such as guitar, piano, bass, drums, and I was learning to play bagpipes for a while.

Other than that I mostly drink a lot and break stuff for my own sick amusment.

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've played guitar for 11 years. I've been doing art since i was 8 (i'm slightly older now). I've been doing staff for nearly a year now and poi for about 2 months.....

Meh

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
I'm afraid that the only hobby that stuck was...PARTYING! Which (with glowstix in hand) has definately improved my abilities as a performer. OOOOHHHHHH YYEEEAAAAAHHHHH!

Let us Light up the Night

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
hobbys? i always was an avid writer altho i have no idea what the hell that has to do with poi. i acted, swam, played soccer and baseball, pissed of my parents and most importantly, even before fire i worked with staves. i learned to use them for self-defence mostly..i actually broke my mom's finger one day when she said she wanted to teach me how to use a staff...she didnt know that i had been learning for quite awhile.....i didnt mean to...its just that i was quicker than she was...and she moved wrong..now thats not my fault is it?

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Honour thy father & mother, but teach them some respect when necessary !!!

I bet it took ages for you to live that one down!!

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
Well, I started ballet when I was 3, did that for six or seven years and quit because it just wasn't me. I also played piano for about 4 or 5 years. Had some martial arts training. Currently doing west african dance and (if I could find a good teacher) bellydance. High school I have to say that my life was really topsy-turvy for a while, which prevented me from investing in hobbies. Oh well, I've got some now.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

ufo8mycatBRONZE Member
journeyman
60 posts

Posted:
piano's mine, and Ive been playing since i was eight. It has definitely taught me how to deal with frustration, and that if something doesn't work first time, give it three hours and an empty place to scream in and anything's possible!

Its all about expression, and thats where poi fits in...

Be well
ax

it's not that i mean to set things on fire...

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
wicked!!

hey thanks bender re: irish. Does that mean you were involved in it? It could be great but i hated competitions. 12yr olds popping their hips so they could jump higher and putting pepper in shoes to burn others feet. Nasty feckers!!!

today i did what on ice would be a camel spin but on my rollerblades while swooping my staff under my leg and rotoring it!!! quite fun but bloody scary!

fire & ice has been done, sadly by torvil and dean in their "fire & ice" special. He was a fire element she was an ice queen. Brilliant!!!

you guys are too interesting

vic xx

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
nah man, I've never taken a Jig lesson, just have this mad love of Celt culture. ooohh that cute accent.. 'tis regrettable that competitiveness took ya fun away. eh it's better to regret something you did than something you didn't. like cow tipping.

Firetwirling for me has been the first time ever that i've instinctively grasped and gotten good at immediately - my first twirl was lit! so its a bit of a weird history fer me. i used to street skate when i used to be a uni bum, and before that below average surfer. Now I know my place in the universe: firey wacking stix and burning killer chains.

good to know some of your influences! mine came in chemical-herbal form.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Page: