Page:
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hola twirly boys and girls, weavesmiley
When I was in Wellington, NZ last year I got to see a kindof 'cultural' show, laid on by the council... anyways, they introduced two guys who both played with double staff... and they were introduced as the world no 1 and 3 firedancers.devil
Is this right - does such a thing exist as a hierarchy-type thingy of firedancing?!!
If so, who decides and where is it held (not that I'll ever make it, you understand, lol... but it'd be nice to watch)?! clap
Anyways, they were decidely impressive...
Just wondering
ubbrollsmile

Getting to the other side smile

TeeJaymember
75 posts

Posted:
I hope I don't miss anyone's question here.......blonde thing ya know
Yup - fireknives are made of actual machete blades...they're cut with a plasma cutter and the hook is fashioned and welded on. Most fireknife dancers practise every day...my boys usually practise without fire about 3 hours a day. Almost all fireknife dancers use straight white gas, although some of the girls will use lighter fluid because it's easier to carry and safer.
We are trying to get the safety issues through to Western Samoan dancers - who have a bad habit of using regular gasoline...three of them ended up in the hospital at the last Pacific Arts Festival because they were doing a three man dance and set each other on fire . Gasoline, plus not shaking your knives off - is not a good combo. We also discourage the "eating of the flame" - and competitors do not receive points for it.
I'll try to put up a short clip on our website, but we are on dialup here so it's hard to put up anything decent.
The PCC has it's video out every year, and we've got ours for sale on our websites...both websites have a lot of pics too.
The three knife is very difficult....there is one guy who has a short knife with hooks on both sides, but that knife would be disqualified in compeitition because it's not to spec. Alex uses a spec knife but shakes it off really well and uses a very small amount of fuel.
My three boys are 11, 13, and 14 - and they started at an older age than most - at the PCC this year they showcased two 4 year olds - one of whom even did a flawless doubles routine. eek

Anyway - more info and stuff can be found at:
www.sivaafi.org
www.flamingsword.net

Soifua,
Teejay

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thats incredible!bounce
It's great to see so many kids involved - is it something alot of people on the island do?!
I wish the kids round here were encouraged to do something (anything) energetic... sitting watching tv all day doesn't exactly improve their fitness or social skills!! ubbcrying
Anyways, thanks for the info smile
xo

Getting to the other side smile

Page: