Page: ......
Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
U tell a riddle. Basic Rules. Guess it. He/she/thing who guesses correctly wins and tells the next one...

I'll start.

When it is broken, it still works.
Beating pains it not...

bit small and crappy, but a bit hard.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Written by: .Morph.

Before Mt. Everest was discovered, what was the tallest mountain in the world?

No one guessed this, so I will... Mount Everest has always been the tallest mountain, when it was discovered it didnt grow...

CaMiLL(e_o)member
88 posts

Posted:
Yes they did Spritie got it. Look closer.
Sorry to be a spoilsport

>>>d(o_0)b<<<

Dropkneedavenewbie
17 posts

Posted:
Sorry, i forgot i'd posted that answer. i haven't got any riddles so if someone else wants to post one then they can have my go.

As for Monty Hall, it doesn't matter. If you had chosen a camel then a door would still be opened and there would be the other camal behind it. if you had chosen the car then a door would be opened and there would be a camel behind it. Either way you will be left with one camel and one car, the first choice you make doesn't affect the result in any way because choosing any door will give you the same result. But to answer the question, no because i'm lazy and no it doesn't.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
lol... so Spritie did... sorry about that....

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Tom, Dick and Harry are playing together out side, they all get covered in mud, all over their faces.
One of their mothers comes out and asks them: "Put you hand up if you can see someone with mud on their face", so all three of them put their hands up because they can see their friends with mud on their faces.
The mother then asks: "Put your hand up if you know that you have mud on your face".
Tom was the only boy to put his hand up. How, using only logic, did Tom work this out? devil

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
I have another one, we'll call the first one R1 and this one R2 (cos im imaginative like that!).

You have two sand timers: one that lasts for 5 minutes and one tht lasts for 7 minutes.
How do use only these to time boiling an egg for 9 minutes? devil

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Written by: Flame Boy

You have two sand timers: one that lasts for 5 minutes and one tht lasts for 7 minutes.
How do use only these to time boiling an egg for 9 minutes? devil

Let the 5 minute one go into there is 2 minutes left and then start the 7 minute one?

Dropkneedavenewbie
17 posts

Posted:
R2 - set off both timers, when the 5 minutes runs out there will be 2 left in the 7 minute timer. start boiling the egg. when the 2 minutes runs out flip it and start again giving you another 7 minutes. 7 + 2 = 9.

i still haven't got one of my own to post so whoever answers R1 can have the next go.
EDITED_BY: Dropkneedave (1100541115)

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
(Monty Hall again)

It does matter if you swap doors. In fact you have a 2 in 3 chance of getting the car if you swap, not a 50-50 chance as most people assume.

I'll exaggerate things to try and get the logic across. Imagine there were 1000 doors rather than 3. If you pick one there is a 1 in 1000 chance of the car being behind your door and a 999 in 1000 chance of it being behind one of the other doors. Monty then opens all of the other doors except one. As he won't open a door to show a car there is a 999 in 1000 chance of the car being behind the remaining door, the only way that the car won't be behind that door is if it is behind the door that you orginally chose, the door that had a 1 in 1000 chance.

Did that make to anyone?

--- Yes alright, it's not a riddle but it is a damn good puzzle.

Here's another for you. You're playing Russian Roulette and you're given the choice between 2 different games.

Game one.

The revolver has 6 chambers with 3 bullets loaded in a line, one after the other. You spin it once, put it to your head and put the trigger three times.

Game two.

The revolver has 6 chambers with 3 bullets loaded randomly. You spin it, put it to your head and pull the trigger. You spin it again and put it to your head and pull the trigger. You spin it one last time, put it to your head and pull the trigger.

Do you choose Game one or Game two to avoid Game over?

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Dropkneedavenewbie
17 posts

Posted:
Written by:

It does matter if you swap doors. In fact you have a 2 in 3 chance of getting the car if you swap, not a 50-50 chance as most people assume.

You have a 1/2 chance when you're given the chance to swap, the number of doors at the start doesn't matter because you will always have one win and one lose result.

Written by:

I'll exaggerate things to try and get the logic across. Imagine there were 1000 doors rather than 3. If you pick one there is a 1 in 1000 chance of the car being behind your door and a 999 in 1000 chance of it being behind one of the other doors. Monty then opens all of the other doors except one. As he won't open a door to show a car there is a 999 in 1000 chance of the car being behind the remaining door, the only way that the car won't be behind that door is if it is behind the door that you orginally chose, the door that had a 1 in 1000 chance.

But when a door is opened it isn't an unknown any more, you have to take that option away when you work it out again. if there were 1000 doors and he showed you one door there are no longer 1000 doors to choose from, there are 999. so you now have a 1 in 999 chance of getting the car.

The chance of it being behind the chosen door increases as the doors are open so when you get to the last two doors there will be a 1 in 2 chance of it being behind the door you chose and the other door.

I'll try and explain it using 10 doors, 1000 is a bit hard to imagine.
if you had 10 doors, behind one of them is a car and behind the others are camels, the chance of guessing the car would be 1 in 10.
Then one door is opened and a camel is behind it. You now have 9 doors hiding 8 camels and one car. the chance of having guessed the right door is still 1 in 10 but the chance that you have chosen the right door is now 1 in 9 because there are only 9 doors left.

the same happens again and there are now 8 doors left, hiding 7 camels and 1 car. because there are only 8 doors you have a 1 in 8 chance of being in front of the winning door.

This keeps on happening until the last two doors, there are only two doors to choose from so the chance of the car being behind any one door is 1 in 2.

Although it is luck if you guess the car at the start that's all is, when you get to the end you will have a door with a camel and a door with a car. it doesn't matter if you guessed the car at the start and it doesn't matter which camel you guessed either, you will have two doors and one of them will win.

Written by:

--- Yes alright, it's not a riddle but it is a damn good puzzle

It makes people think about things logically so it can't be bad, and, more importantly, it makes people try and describe their logic in a way that other people can understand.

Burning Braineye shifter
321 posts

Posted:
game two. the chance of shooting yourself each time in that game it 1/2. in game one you have to stop it on the last bullet in the line and only that spot so the chance of the gun going off is 5/6.

If I could be granted one wish I would ask for all the questions of the universe.

wingrdMember
18 posts

Posted:
Domino - your math is very unsound on this occasion.
The Key to the Maths on this is that once he has opened the door you have a SECOND choose so the SECOND choice has a ½ chance of win but the chance from the start still remains 1/3, Hope that sorts it out, as I’m not explaining it further. Life’s too short.

R1 is floored as they are PLAYING TOGETHER outside so would have seen each others faces. That said I have a good revision that isn’t floored (same answer will work).

Four prisoners are captured and buried up to their necks in the ground. The 1st one is looking at the wall that separated him from his friends (so he can’t see them) the second is on the other side looking at the wall, 3rd directly behind him 3” back again facing the wall and the 4th directly behind him 3” back. The captors being Evil games and riddle experts place black and white hats on the poor chaps and tell them:

“We have placed a hat on each of you!
There are two white hats and two black hats!
One of you must tell us what hat you are wearing or you will ALL DIE!!!
You have only ONE ATTEMPT!
If you get it wrong you will all DIEEEEE!!!!
NO WISPERING! OR YOU DIEEEEE!!!!
FIVE MINUTES!!! Formmmmmmm NOW!”

Hints:
(Only chap 3 and 4 can see chap 2’s hat and only chap 4 can see chap 3’s hat).
(It’s not a trick question and there are no mirrors and the murdering captor means business, he Wants to kill them, so don’t mess).
(oh and the hats are alternated white, black, white, black – but they don’t know that).

D

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
Anyone read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time"? Here's how it explains the the answer without resorting to too much maths.

You are asked to choose a door:

[1] You choose a door with a car behind it
-- you stick -- You get a car
-- you change -- You get a camel

[2] You choose a door with a camel behind it
-- you stick -- You get a camel
-- you change -- You get a car

[3] You choose a door with a camel behind it
-- you stick -- You get a camel
-- you change -- You get a car

If you change you have a 2/3 chance of getting the car

Russian Roulette:

Game one - the only way you can survive this is to get the first chamber in the run of 3 empty ones. You have a 1/6 chance.

Game two - you have a 1/2 chance of living each time you pull the trigger. You have to surive the first time AND the second time AND the third time. That's:

1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/8 chance of surviving.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

CaMiLL(e_o)member
88 posts

Posted:
I have read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" and it is amazing. No need for me to say that but I wanted to. smile

>>>d(o_0)b<<<

Burning Braineye shifter
321 posts

Posted:
i propose we stick to the easy riddles that have multible answers such as "why did the chicken cross the road" because we are obviously all very stupid people. just look at Fryed Fishes spelling...he didnt even spell his name right.

If I could be granted one wish I would ask for all the questions of the universe.

...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:
ubblol

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

Dropkneedavenewbie
17 posts

Posted:
Sorry Domino, of course you're right (there's a reason why i failed stats).

Written by:

Four prisoners are captured and buried up to their necks in the ground. The 1st one is looking at the wall that separated him from his friends (so he can’t see them) the second is on the other side looking at the wall, 3rd directly behind him 3” back again facing the wall and the 4th directly behind him 3” back. The captors being Evil games and riddle experts place black and white hats on the poor chaps and tell them:

“We have placed a hat on each of you!
There are two white hats and two black hats!
One of you must tell us what hat you are wearing or you will ALL DIE!!!
You have only ONE ATTEMPT!
If you get it wrong you will all DIEEEEE!!!!
NO WISPERING! OR YOU DIEEEEE!!!!
FIVE MINUTES!!! Formmmmmmm NOW!”

Hints:
(Only chap 3 and 4 can see chap 2’s hat and only chap 4 can see chap 3’s hat).
(It’s not a trick question and there are no mirrors and the murdering captor means business, he Wants to kill them, so don’t mess).
(oh and the hats are alternated white, black, white, black – but they don’t know that).

The third guy.

The third guy knows that there are 3 hats that he can't see. he knows that the fourth guy can see his hat and the hat of the guy that he can see. if his hat was the same colour as the hat of guy 2 then guy 4 would be able to work out the colour of his own hat but the 4th guy doesn't say anything so he must have a different coloured hat to guy 2.

I'll post a riddle tomorrow if i'm right.

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Well done on R2 HANZAND DROPKNEEDAVE but no-one has even had a bash at R1!

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Well done on R2 HANZ and DROPKNEEDAVE but no-one has even had a bash at R1!
I think DKD might get it tho cos its kimda similar to the one he just answered.

critternewbie
4 posts

Posted:
i dont know about that one but here is one anyway

i have an eye but i am blind, im cold and hard and never kind but despite all this you'll always find a there is a point to me. what am i?

Bretchenthusiast
247 posts

Posted:
Needle?

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now.....

wingrdMember
18 posts

Posted:
Well done Dropkneedave.
Domino... your still wrong.

D

Dropkneedavenewbie
17 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I think DKD might get it tho cos its kimda similar to the one he just answered.

I think i've worked this one out but i think it's time for someone else to have a go, i'll PM you what i think it is to see if i'm right but i don't think it's fair that no one else gets a chance.

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
ok, you sit on it and you take it everywhere?

what is it?

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
Noddy: ya backside!

wingrd: biggrin Don't make me break out the hardcore maths on you because although it looks impressive I have no idea what it all means.

However you can try this to prove it to yourself. Get 20 or so bits of paper (needs to be quite a few), write "car" on one and leave the others blank. Pick one and turn it over - chances are you lost and didn't get the car. Try this a couple of times. Now pick one and don't turn it over, get someone else to turn over all but one of the others, remembering that they're not allowed to turn over the one marked "car". Now turn over the remaining bit of paper - chances are it says "car". Try this a couple of times and notice how many times you win.

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
Written by: Domino

Noddy: ya backside!

wingrd: biggrin Don't make me break out the hardcore maths on you because although it looks impressive I have no idea what it all means.

However you can try this to prove it to yourself. Get 20 or so bits of paper (needs to be quite a few), write "car" on one and leave the others blank. Pick one and turn it over - chances are you lost and didn't get the car. Try this a couple of times. Now pick one and don't turn it over, get someone else to turn over all but one of the others, remembering that they're not allowed to turn over the one marked "car". Now turn over the remaining bit of paper - chances are it says "car". Try this a couple of times and notice how many times you win.

well done but i only won 2 out of 10 times on that car game!

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
When? When you swapped or when you didn't?

poi_playerBRONZE Member
121 posts

Posted:
Well there hasnt been a new riddle in a few days and i thought of one, so i hope nobody minds if i post one. I'ts pretty easy but it's just to get this thread goin again...
Bob wants to get his package to Sally, but the only way to get his package to sally is to pass it to the nosey operator, who likes to open whatever she gets, who then passes it to sally. Both Sally and Bob have their own lock to which there is only one key. How can Bob send his package to Sally withought showing its contents to the nosey operator? (Bob has the key to his own lock, and so does Sally, they cannot trade keys and the locksmith is on vacation, so no new keys biggrin

If you're a pyro and you know it, clap your hands!
clap clap

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
I don't know if this counts as trading keys or not but i expect it does cos this seems to simple: Bob sends his key to Sally, as soon as she gets it he sends the parcel with his lock on it. it is trading keys isn't it, just thought i'd check.

poi_playerBRONZE Member
121 posts

Posted:
yea its trading keys, they both possess their keys at all times

If you're a pyro and you know it, clap your hands!
clap clap

Page: ......