Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > I'm the best spinner in the world 3 years ago.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I was just reminising about my first EJC two years ago... and I remember the coolest kid there was Glass doing a very bad buzzsaw isolation. Sometimes he 'kinda got it' and sometimes he didn't. And he also did an 'amazing' butterfly variation where he put the right poi over his left shoulder. We were all blown away. Stuff most of us can do in our sleep nowadays.

Even the 'amazing' videos from two years ago are getting dated.

We've been spending so much time trying to develop our poi moves yet, if we want to get relatively better, all we really need is a time machine.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
NYC i just stuffed a crapload of moves down skunk's throat so don't talk to me about not teaching. i've taught more people than all of you here combined. come on, you all know that. but you're right, some people like to teach, others perform, and to each their own.

rev how many times could you insult me in one post? sad thing is, it's all just projection and you're showing me what american egomaniac consumerist programming you have inside your brain. less acid and more tribal ancestral wisdom is what you need. or better yet, more of both at the same time. am i my brother's keeper? well i guess i am so i'll try once more to open your mind here. you're standing on the backs of others and claiming to have gotten taller all by yourself. we found the ultimate newbie! the search is over. yes, we have the messiahnic reverend here to save us all from the "bs" slopped on by all the childish elders.

first.
i'm not hoarding. and even if i was it would be my prerogative and i don't owe you anything. the other 4/5ths i meant regarded 1.)integrating dance and movement into poi and 2.)moves too complex to just blurt out.

for you to zero in on that, jump on my case and start insulting me (even after i've explained ALL THESE points elsewhere) is quite revealing and sad and poignant. you're just beating your chest like an animal and showing how much you respect me to begin with. step back for a minute and look at what just happened. moves moves moves give me more i want more moves moves moves give me more i want more moves moves moves give me more i want more moves moves moves give me more i want more moves moves moves give me more i want more
i've been explaining stuff from square one and it takes a while. we'd rather show you a whole family of ideas and let you chew on it and figure out the specifics. and whether you acknowledge it or not the stuff you know is a result. either that or you miraculously taught yourself the exact same stuff, out of an infinite set, that we showed you- but you say you didn't understand, you taught yourself. if you didn't understand, then why are they the same friggin moves? there's so much more out there and you have yet to show anybody somehting we didn't bring to you with our hands open. but on the next turn you claim that we've done nothing, and insulted me by calling me chidish, disgusting, an elitist, and implied a lot more. grrrrrrr.

second
see, the problem here is, you have no idea how to respect others, what we have here is a one way circuit.
here's how it's supposed to work. we work our asses off. then once in a while we get online and we point you in directions, open your mind up to new possibilities. you take those ideas, and if the minutae weren't evident in our suggestions and descriptions, you clarify, using already established language rather than square one, so they can be even easier to see than they were the first time. and then learn, grow, figure out more, and open our minds too. that completes the circuit of sharing, and we respect each other.

instead something else has happened since we really started trying to push the boundaries here. glass is gone and you've all lost YET ANOTHER badass spinner who was teaching and sharing. how many do there have to be? i'm so close to outta here it's crazy. why do you think i brought up all that stuff about the huge gap in the knowledge base? think about it. rev you say every time you "teach yourself something" and try to explain it we rant at you. yes i've ranted to you before and you still aren't hearing me. did you listen? i'll do it again, for everyone, cause rev's certainly not alone here, and this is the last time cause it's not my job to try to teach every person who picks up a set of poi how to respect their peers. you don't go around in life saying stuff like this. if you do you'd better be able make reparations with some pretty seriously cute girls and some really crystallised kind bud tucked away in your living room that you're gonna throw at me. and lots of nutella.
here's what many of you've done instead. you read our posts, talk about how vauge they are and what elitists we are and then go around parading different explanations of the exact same moves using a whole new set of terminology that really isn't any more understandable, and the attitude that you made it up and you're badass is blaring right there at the top in big bright neon letters. in fact it is a step backwards, because usually the math is off. so then the people that brought it up have to go back and argue about names. and the whole thing follows a pattern, a pattern of consumerism and lack of awareness and respect. this really doesn't have to happen this way, i've taught hundreds and hundreds of people without having to deal with this crap. i had very few problems teaching 6+ beat weaves here at HOP, for instance. the people on the boards at the time were respectful, sharing, and considerate.
i'm going to bed chew on that.
time spent dealing with this: (including the first draft that got lost cause my computer sucks) at least four hours.
what i'm getting out of this: jack.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
personally ive found this place a fantastically constructive community. if i havent understood a move, ive usually take the time to PM the person who posted the move in the first place.
ive sent messages to many of the highly respected spinners here, and have always found them most helpful when you come up with a specific problems.

i read something once, ill try to remember it....

with any skill, at first it is a very defined teacher-student relationship. as the student learns more, conquers the basics, understands how it works, the student can develop his [or her] own style, work out moves my himself. the student needs less guidance as the skill level increases, the teacher might show the student a new idea, and leave the student to work it out. with the self sufficience of the student, the student himself may begin to teach, furthering his understanding to new levels. the original teacher-student relationship has completely changed - to more of a respectful friendship.
will the teacher continue to reveal his secrets? thats entirely up to the teacher - who knows the value of a student working things out himself. the important point is giving the student the skills and ability so they can go out into the big scary world on their own. the student can now only rely on his friendship and respect for his teacher to expect to be taught new things.

it went something like that anyway.
hugs and respect to all!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Nice post Den' smile

HoP is a great place for people from all over the world to share ideas, moves, theories etc. If it wasn't here people would still be learning and developing new things BUT this wouldn't be shared on anything near the scale that HoP allows, it would all be much more localised.

However, there are countless other spinners around the world who will have been spinning for ages, working on new things, new styles etc, but either don't know about HoP, can't get on it, don't want to get on it, whatever.

My point basically, is that HoP isn't the crest of the wave, it isn't even the tube wink, it's just a drop of water in the ocean (albeit a large drop) - it's like having one REALLY big spinning evening, every day, everynight where people come to exchange what they've been working on.

I think this makes us plankton...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
arashi... I think the point is that by posting hints and broad concepts rather than specific moves you will perhaps stimulate people to experiment more and play around, but you also run the risk of people not getting it at all. There's quite a lot of the things you've posted that have baffled me at the time... I've then come up with the thing/had it shown to me elsewhere and then the next time I've come across what you've posted I realise it's the same thing. Like with the inverted weave stuff.

I don't think anyone is trying to claim they've "invented" stuff first, and I don't see why you're getting so annoyed at it. Frustrated perhaps, but it's not like anyone is doing this to get at you, it's just because of not seeing your original thread or not getting it at the time.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
frown

i believe if everyone here could simply meet up, have a spin together and share without the limit to communication imposed by a text driven environment, this negativity would not be.

it reminds me somewhat of how people are very polite when they are walking in a crowded area but put them in cars where communication is limited and in the same situation they become angry and abusive.

[edit: to say how eloquent that post from mr x is hug ]

back on topic:

i'm better than i was three years ago, cos i didn't spin then.

i'm a little worse than i was last year (despite knowing more 'moves') cos juggling killed my poi wink
EDITED_BY: coleman (1087394277)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

i believe if everyone here could simply meet up, have a spin together and share without the limit to communication imposed by a text driven environment, this negativity would not be.

Almost certainly smile

[edit: to say how eloquent that post from mr x is hug ]

redface biggrin

i'm a little worse than i was last year (despite knowing more 'moves') cos juggling killed my poi wink

Bloody jugglers! rolleyes

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
To Quote a truely Great Master, perhaps the Master of Masters,

"The Lips of Wisdom are open only to the Ears of Understanding"

¦ wink ¦

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
great great quote wink

hug

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
here's exactly why I said I would be misunderstood...

arashi.. you have yet to read ' my words'

I never said you had to teach everyone.. I never said you had to teach anyone.. I said that by hoarding information and by refusing to engage in challenging discussion that further the understanding of your art you thus forsake the progression of your art.. its not that you haven't given anything.. nor is that you ahvent given enough.. that isnt what I'm saying at all.. I'm saying as people like spiral thank god can pick up is that moves are bs that we teach newbies.. just like most of the art on the whole.. because what you learn when you do poi isnt directly from the moves themselves..

I've siad it once and I'll say it again.. its not the move but what you do with it.. ie.. how you apply the concept itself.. if you jsut see 2bt 3bt 5bt weaves then you don't see the big friggin picture.. it takes time for people to see that picture and the only way for them to see it is through experience... this is why I said not dealing with newbies is fine.. but please.. don't act like weshould bow down before people because they dare risk running off and hermitting themselves so that we must go to the moutains of tibet to find them.. bogger..

the point is that as always you guys were here when things were rapidly changing.. and I understand that back then ownership and progenator riies or whatever you want to call it was a big thing.. acknowledged and done.. but this bs about having to spin years to figure something that takes someone else a month.. hello.. have you not a history bnook.. have you not gone to *gasp* school.. that is what is called learning and teachning mate.. it happens.. and the better you teach others.. the quicker you have peers that can teach you.. hoarding forms elitism.. it breaks that bond and it says you will enver be as good as the teacher.. always one step behind..

and you keep going back to arguments over terms.. terms that even people that coined them said were useless.. -WE- ALL learn mate.. and part of that learning is making mistakes.. if people knew about the 3 nexi types when the tangly stuff began we wouldnt have had that problem.. but they didnt' they were learning.. and as with all learning things (terms included) evolve..
and the snippets that come out of you sometimes.. are decipherable as all and as you aptly put "it was something I already knew" but couldnt makeout because of your figure-itout-on-your-own crap.. there are lots of the poi gods here that dont respond to threads.. but I have pm'd people here and gotten VERY helpful responses to things.. Granted I don't know if these people hoard as well but at least they are open in their discussions and willingness to communicate..

the idea isnt for the newbies to learn their WHOLE move base on their own.. the goal is to teach them the moves which indrectly teaches the concepts and let them apply the concepts on their own to further ends.. provide inspiration not confusion.. challenge them and then be prepared when they challenge back..

in the end there are no moves.. newbies beleive or not learn that.. its not just a phrase that gets thrown around.. I mean hell anyone that does regular spin anti spin oopposite and same direction ttns, throw in a tangle and and isoalted buzzsaw weave and you see how everything we though we could classify by is utterfly exactly the same thing.. people act like this is some secret that takes 10 yrs to fricken learn..

bah... go have your private 'elite' cricles.. but dont' you dare tell me mate that what I said in my post before or now is not accurate.. you are a hypocrite.. or need I go back an cite from the thread we were discussing in before this one..

I apologize people for the drama.. but forums about sharing and getting opinion on topics.. there's mine.. clear, non-cryptic and in the friggin open..

coleman: the whoel point of places liek this are for the people in backwoods nowhere that don't have tons of people everywhere to spin with.. this is where people comecome and find same interest people and dicuss their interest.. thus trying to breakdown that necessary personal face to face interaction.. I wish we all had our own community.. by poiple forpoiple.. oh wait.. there is those maori people wink but seriously.. that is why this is here no.. not for people 'steal' moves.. but to do like a distance learning program...

and on topic topic: I'm better then I was then because I wasnt spinning then.. i am that hoorible noob that learned in months what took people years.. but does that give me a clue as to what I'm doing with poi.. yes.. does that make me good or even decent.. no.. why? because in the past year and a half I've busted my butt learning everything I could because moves (knowledge) is easy to pick up.. skill, control, and movement come with time.. these are things that are also hidden within the guise of moves.. but are time released.. I mean hell I can't dance.. but I developed a good rhythmn from somewhere you know..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
The Greatest Great quote coleman wink

And anyway, you made the point i wanted to make about all this text being a pretty bad mode of communication and that i'm sure we'd all get along fine if we were spinnning in on an watching the setting sun with a glass of fine port, shooting the the breeze about the good-old-3-Beat-Days wink

¦m¦

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I dunno about that port doesn't always agree with my stomach. hehe

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
ubblol

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
to be honest wit' ya; i disagree with specific points of both sides of this arguement, but see where both are coming from; and couldn'nt agree more with that first coleman quote...

i've totally stopped even contemplating the idea that these guys are withholding moves; the more so cause i've stopped postig detailed descriptions myself; for a couple of reasons...: one is that i've not been spinning for a little while(tho back in now... biggrin ) the second is that i've stopped beleiving in the clarity of text; and don't have the time to decipher that i used to have. more of a time issue that one tho. and the third is that the families being discussed right now don't interest me that much right now., been dancing too much.

*started this post 2 hours before so might be slightly out of date....*

so while i still think most of the best spinners in the world are hoppers, many of the best dancers don't come near this place. and i can't wait to meet some of the guys you are talking about. but in my experience, i have met three or four guys who were described by many aas being 'legendary old school, better than anyone these days' who to be honest dance reasonably well and have the tech skills of a yearling(no offence intended to yearling spinners intended). So am really sceptical about the whole 'i know this guy whos amazing who doesn't post herre, and doesn't play for people' idea. as soon as you stop, you start losing your techniue. and your dance(unless you're doing something else dancey which'll be helping indirectly). sorry.

anyway.

chill out a bit guys.

can i still come play with ya both at some point? hug2

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
A nice frosty beer instead? biggrin

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ok but only if you make me a hat like you did for your cat. biggrin

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Come on guys - Group hug!

grouphug

And I want to play with Rob too!!

Er.. not in that way...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
mmmm.....port.....

looking through the thread again, it seems to come down to this
- everyone pretty much has the same philiosophy about teaching, spinning, and the difficulties of communication via text.
- the key problem is that we have having trouble communicating this to each other.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
cake or death

but on topic:soapbox
why don't peoplepost about what they are interested in instead of moaning cause its not here.. that's what I'm conufsed about... was there a time when it was brought up and noone posted.. or did prick newbies ruin it devil or did it just digress off into nothing.. and even then is it not worth bringing back either in the old thread or in the new one..

I mean everyone learns over time..and theres so much that makes since now that didn't then.. and I watch that progression with people I learn from and people I teach as well.. and even despite experience some people pick up on some ideas better or worse at different times..

is it such a futile effeort that its not worth the one post every now and again to see if someone finally sees what you do then rather opt to hermithood?

forgive my ignorance

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: DeepSoulSheep

Ok but only if you make me a hat like you did for your cat. biggrin

Damn that's one big arse lime I'm going to need! eek ubblol

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
You could sew a few together though I prefer the taste of watermellow anyway ubblol

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Now that sounds more "practical" ubblol

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

frown

Not for nothin' but I disagree. I've had even worse things said to me in person. I've had people on this site laugh at me because of the fact that I suck and refuse to teach me moves.

I've got a ton of respect for a thousand reasons for not teaching me a move. And none of this has to do with anyone on THIS particular thread. But the vibe of:

"I'm not going to show you how to do this because me knowing how to do this makes me better than you."

...is crap.

I've never held anyone's spinning ability as a judgement of who they are. Simply as an indication of how much they've worked combined with whatever innate ability they have.

Nobody above said or made me feel any of this. But it has been said and suggested before. And it makes me sad.

Gotta run before proofreading this one so take it with a grain of salt please... ubblove

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
incidentally NYC i made it one of my new years resolutions to teach you all of my (current) favourite moves when you's over here.

and you can punch-hug me if i fail(or indeed if i manage biggrin )

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
in the end whether we all agree on something or not I think this thread as drama filled as it is.. is helpfulll because its getting things out and letting both sides kinda give their peace rather then just biting our lips.. you know..

and btw blue.. the on topic part of my cake or death post.. was mainly directed twoards you and glass and the like..

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
a lime! i was wondering what the heck that was. somebody beat me with a stick before i puke from being over cute-ificated:D

rev, i'm over it. okay fine i'm a hypocrite. and i'm better than you and these moves are mine and you owe me money cause i patented them. lick my balls clean anyways. you're still focusing in on [censored] that doesn't exist and never did, like progenitor rights. in a couple of years you're gonna look back at this and say, wow, what an arse i've been. i'm lucky that people put up with my [censored] and kept teaching me anyways-until one fresh air filled day i pulled my head out of my arse and realised there's a huge difference between respectful deference, respectful communication, and ego driven pecking order structures. you keep saying moves don't matter, great, that's the ideal. but you then keep bitching about us not sharing our moves and calling us hypocrites. and that's the ego i'm trying to help you with... the unconscious drive for more consumption. still got a bit of that capitalist prgramming in there.

go sit in a sweat lodge and learn how to talk to people and what humility and respect really really mean.
jesus what have i just unleashed on some poor medicine man?
and yes i am a smartass sometimes and i like to fart around but there's a line you just don't cross.

if i wasn't working daily on instructing the world on all this stuff i'm talking about then maybe yes. but right now you're just blowing hot air.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
moves don't exist mate. your right on that.. I know that.. some people dont.. but i also know the point of teaching the lie of moves.. and that is the secrets contained within them.. the way this move teaches you some nifty little trick that you can then add to other things... so though the move doesnt exist the knowledge does.. and that's what your 'hoarding' if you want to put it that way..

I ahve plenty of respect for people.. just none for you mate.. that's not an insult or anything engative.. you may be a great person.. but as far as poi goes.. I cant respect someone that's going to jump on me.. especially when your the one that's doing what you accuse me of not the other way around..

fresh minds lead to fresh insights.. knowledge is free.. that much i understand.. and those are the people I respect..

oh and btw I am native american.. so you can take the rest of your comments and put wheever you like the further up the better..

have a nice day;)

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
There's always a heated topic about this, and people seem arrogant, resentful, selfish, bullish, jealous, whatever, when really people are just people typing text. Some think one way, others another.

There will always be people who teach, and there will be people who don't, and every individual will have reasons one way or the other, and I'll respect that as long as they're not hostile.

And once again I read a post by Dentrassi and think "yeah, that's true".

Thank you, everyone, if only because you make my days less dull with your bickering wink

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
rolleyes this all sounds familiar.... ubbloco

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
thanks dom.. for understanding that though I don't articulate emotion well in text.. no I'm not mad.. just disheartened..

form what I understand I'm not the first to run this gauntlet.. I feel now somewhat like neo walking into the little room only to find that he'd been there times before..

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
bluecat beat me to it... I very much agree with this...

Bluecat said
"to be honest wit' ya; i disagree with specific points of both sides of this arguement, but see where both are coming from; and couldn'nt agree more with that first coleman quote...

i've totally stopped even contemplating the idea that these guys are withholding moves; the more so cause i've stopped postig detailed descriptions myself; for a couple of reasons...: one is that i've not been spinning for a little while(tho back in now... ) the second is that i've stopped beleiving in the clarity of text; and don't have the time to decipher that i used to have. more of a time issue that one tho. and the third is that the families being discussed right now don't interest me that much right now., been dancing too much.

*started this post 2 hours before so might be slightly out of date....*

so while i still think most of the best spinners in the world are hoppers, many of the best dancers don't come near this place. and i can't wait to meet some of the guys you are talking about. but in my experience, i have met three or four guys who were described by many aas being 'legendary old school, better than anyone these days' who to be honest dance reasonably well and have the tech skills of a yearling(no offence intended to yearling spinners intended). So am really sceptical about the whole 'i know this guy whos amazing who doesn't post herre, and doesn't play for people' idea. as soon as you stop, you start losing your techniue. and your dance(unless you're doing something else dancey which'll be helping indirectly). sorry.

anyway.

chill out a bit guys.

can i still come play with ya both at some point?

R "

BTW, I don't like port... how about some box wine?

Glass and Arashi have spent many many hours typing on the computer... sometimes spelling it out, sometimes giving hints... my COMPLETE lack of ability to understand text based descriptions does not mean they have been hoarding moves... although I feel like it sometimes...

I really wish they would make more videos... because I learn a lot better from watching a video.. and even better from watching a person in real life.

As to the "secret master spinners" I'm sure some exist...but if they are being elitist.. well.. I just don't like elitism, and have no respect to people who are elitist. OR people who like to use their inteligence so they can look down their nose at other people.

I've always been a humble person, and hopefully, I will always be humble. I can't stand people who think they are better than everyone else, or people that think that just because they have a high IQ, they are somehow a better person than other people.

But, failing that... the hints DO cause me to learn a lot on my own. Even though I don't learn what they were trying to teach.. I still learn SOMETHING new.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Page: