MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So in setting up to do my rotation in London next year, I keep communicating with this program coordinator at St. George's Hospital in London.

I've noticed that in our written correspondence, she always seems to be very direct, almost to the point of being cold.

An example: (anything italicized is underlined in the original)
Written by:

Dear Mr. G.
This is to confirm that I have received your payment for accomodation that I will pass on to Mrs. T. I will leave it to you to contact her nearer the time (about two weeks before you are arrive) to arrange for your arrival and handover of keys. Her address is... and the telephone number is.... Rent for the room will be £75 per week.

The house is about a 5 minute walk from the hospital.

On arrival, Mrs. T will expect you to pay for the rent in advance throughout your stay. You should make your own arrangements with her about repayment of your deposit, which will be returned to you before you leave when you hand back the key. Should you cancel your attachment for any reason and fail to take up this accomodation, this deposit will be forfeited.

St. George's Hospital Medical School is not liable for any loss, damage, injury, or death (however caused) suffered by you while living in private sector accomodation.

Yours Sincerely,

D.W.

Now, this is all important information, but the tone just gets me as being a bit...abrupt.

Is this standard for British business, or does this lady just sound like a censored?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
yup, that's us Brits!! Work is work is work. I have a guy who I get on with really well at work but he still emails me from three desks away "to confirm" and stuff and always writes like that. Just the way we is I guess, it's not cold or abrupt just information and personality free.We don't often say "Have a nice day" like you blinkin eternally-over-entusiastic yankee doodle dandees! wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
By the way how old is she? I've noticed that the older generation (ie over 40) write like old letters used to be written but the younger funky dude that we are don't bother with the straight forwardness and generally let our personalities into our work

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
hehe. thats us brits all right! My mum helped me write my senior prefect letter. i think one paragraph went along the lines of 'i feel that as i am a member of many clubs inside and outside of school and am a member of many extra-curricular activities I believe that I would be a good ambassorder for the school within the local community' total BS of course, but it still sounded good!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I have no idea how old she is, but my guess is she's older.

Anywho, here's how I would have written the letter:

Written by:

Dear Mr. G.

Thank you for your payment for accomodation at Mrs. T's house. I will pass the payment along to her. For your information, her number is...and her address is.... Her house is about 5 minutes from the hospital. Please plan to contact her about two weeks before your arrival to make any necessary arrangements.

I have enclosed a copy of our policies for visiting students staying in private-sector accomodations. Please note that you will be expected to pay all rent in advance throughout your stay.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

D.W.

See the difference in tone? Maybe we Americans are just friendlier.

-Mike

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
meh....different floats for different boats. neither seem overly friendly/unfriendly to me. You'll soon get used to it when you've stayed here a few months!! Then you'll be like

"How do you do, would Sir desire to accompany me to the operating room so we may perform your required surgery, followed by a nice cup of tea and perhaps a Rich Tea biscuit"

Of course by then you'll also be looking like this

Non-Https Image Link

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

-Mike

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
yeah brits are just moody most of the time.

i suppose its better to be told 'have a nice day' by someone who doesnt mean it than 'piss off' by a brit that does.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
aaarrrgh!

i can't think of anything more annoying than 'have a nice day'. it just makes me want to slap them it's soooo unbelievably insincere.

and 'nice' is such a rubbish word.

i'd say 'have a fantastilicious day!.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Potato, po-tah-to.

Business exchanges tend to be impersonal. The writer doesn't give a toss about how you perceive them, they're using a formula that has worked for years and really do not want to have any more contact than is strictly necessary.

I worked in student administration for 4 years during my PhD days, any invitation to "contact me if you need any more information" inevitably led to a cascade of pointless queries, all of which could be answered by "read the stuff I sent you."

Remember letters have to pander to the lowest common denominator; most students don't fully read instuctions and anything other than direct statements cause huge headaches for the admin staff.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I have found most British buisness letters are impersonal. But we make up for it by being nice and friendly out of work ubbangel
(ok so some of us do....)

ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Especially the Pink Brits.

-Mike