Forums > Help! > Good time to light up.

Login/Join to Participate

Goddessdastranger
24 posts

Posted:
I have been practicing and I have yet to light My poi up. When is a good time to start. I think I have all the basic moves down. still don't know what the best fuel to use to just spin..
Goddessda

Real happiness is when you marry a guy for love and find out later he has money.
-- Bob Monkhouse

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Best time is when you can poi basic moves without hitting yourself and when you feel confident enough and know the safety side of things... if you do a search there is tonnes and tonnes of safety information or if you go to 'Free lessons' it has a section on fire safety up there
If you're not comfortable with the idea don't do it and it's probably best to have someone with you incase things go wrong.

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ditto

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
you'll know when your ready... if your not sure your not ready...

hehe sounds like health ed!

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
That's what I thought when I was writing it teehee... tis in a way though! Don't wanna go burning your poonani or hair or anything else on your body for that matter... well not on a first spin anyhoo... actually you don't really want to do it at anytime

SHUT UP MARY

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I suggest using lamp oil or kerosine, that way if you do hit yourself you won't have a firey spot, just an oily spot. wink Wear cotton cloting, avoid synthecit materials (polyester, rayon etc..) and frayed clothing. Cover your hair with something, and have someone watch you like a hawk with a wet towel.
The first time you light up is intense, enjoy it biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

mattpoiBRONZE Member
20 posts

Posted:
A test to see if i'm ready to perform a move with fire is to practice it (unlit) with my eyes closed -- navigating the poi only from feeling weavesmiley

Goddessdastranger
24 posts

Posted:
funny that you mention that today I practiced some of the moves with My eyes closed.
Let's just say more bruises today.
Goddessda

Real happiness is when you marry a guy for love and find out later he has money.
-- Bob Monkhouse

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Gotta agree with kit, you'll know. But if you really want to put yourself to the test. Spin everything you know for 15 minutes, if you don't hit yourself you're doing GREAT!!! I actually know some people that say 30 minutes, now there is a challenge for you.

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

leeeaaaaaaSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
I like that. I used to do that on the piano to really get a part that was giving me trouble, but I hadn't thought to do it with poi.

Goddessdastranger
24 posts

Posted:
I think I am going to try that.. I have learned so much but I find that I forget some moves.. but I will practice what I remember and take your advice ........
Goddessda

-- Bob Monkhouse

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Don't worry about it, even if you do hit yourself, so long as you have the right clothes on and maybe a hat, you should be ok. The quicker you try it, the quicker you lose the fear and the inhibitions.

Goddessdastranger
24 posts

Posted:
I recently bought My self lamp oil Now I HAVE TO FIND the courage to light up...
GoddessDA

-- Bob Monkhouse