Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Using siteswap for naming staff tricks?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
I've been doing a lot of double staff juggling and used some siteswap terms to describe the throws. For those not familiar with siteswap, in short it's used by jugglers to describe the lenght of the time the ball is in the air or in which hand it lands (somebody can surely say it better).

so

0 is an empty hand
1 is a change from hand to hand
2 could be - the staff remains in the hand spinning
3 is a throw from other hand to the other
4 is a throw that you catch with the same hand
5 or 7 are higher versions of 3
6 or 8 are higher versions of 4

so instead of naming or explaining a trick like throw the staff from right really high and the left one lower, catch the left first with the right and then the one you threw first with your left... it could be described as a 5-3 or more correctly 5-3-0-0

We've been thinking of using this type of naming tricks for our COL video. Converting ball juggling siteswap to staves doesn't work perferct but i think it might help somebody to understand the moves easier. What do you think about this and have you used it?

Antti

The Amazing Rubber Heart Duo

Point your toes.

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
the more i've transformed so called ball siteswaps to staffs the more i see them work and i don't personally have any need for extra notations describing rotations etc. you can figure out the possible variations quite quickly. and i still don't count the rotations. what i think is more important is where to stop the staff and change the direction of the rotation, if the variation needs stops. like doing 3 staff cascade with stopping the staff after catch and change direction and throw again. but then again it's only a variation.

i think the most use of siteswap is to understand that there is a lot of variations of throwing even two staffs. and with a lot of ready siteswaps you can just take the list of them and try them out without the description being 4 pages long..

Point your toes.

Page: