Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
hey, ive been struggling to find what "snake" and "thread the needle" mean in terms of double staff. I've been searching abit but there are just so many threads which contain the words but like non that contain it as a topic name for staff.

Any other words I should know?

Thanks in advance, - Klaymen

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ummm,

Fountain

wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
As far as I know, "snake" comes from clubswinging; they're techniques to get extra beats in your pattern by allowing different parts of your arms to lock, and then turning *something* to release that lock. So if you're spinning a staff "forwards", and when it's in front of you and you would normally push it round to the back for the second beat, you leave your arm there so that it "locks" against your forearm, then rotate that round your elbow to release it, then that's a snake. (Or if you listen to mcp, half of a snake, but that's a different kettle of monkeys. And they're monkeys you really don't want wink ). Theres a similar one behind you, and then the same in reverse.

Not sure if there's a commonly accepted thread the needle with staff - it's translation of a poi term, and I think different people might have different opinions; my take is to spin both the staffs forward, in sync, and then bring one under the opposite wrist so it rolls round, and let the other roll over the back of the hand it's in. Then grab them, and push the back staff in front of the other, and repeat on the opposite side, giving the traditional ttn feel.

Hmm, dunno about fountains, though...

monkeys ate my brain

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Yes, snakes are old club swinging moves. There are a number of them, but they are mostly variations on the shoulder snake. The shoulder snake is made up of the first half (or as someone else said the first snake) and the second half snake. Both halves done in front of the shoulders. For basic snakes, check out Anna Jillings book of "Modern Club Swinging and Pole Spinning at Cosmos Juggling. You can even download a copy of book.

Personally, I try to avoid any locking, as with practice, the different parts of the snake should become one fluid movement. Though, some people like to use the word carry for when they lift up from the hips to the shoulders.

I'm told that Thread the Needle, is also known as the Punch, and there should be a thread on ttn in staff moves somewhere.

Fountains are also another old club move, that cause much frustration when they are discusses at HOP biggrin

Check out the club/torch swinging thread in Other Toys. There are a number of links in the first post smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
TTN with sticks.

Easy way.
--------------

Ask Rob. Him and Steve taught me how to do it smile

Hard way.
-------------

Practice doing finger spins with the tops 'coming in' as a buttefly in front of you (wrists touching-ish).

now instead of doing them both in what is essentially the same plane, start with one spinning close to the front of your chest and the other extended. As the close one comes up over the extended arm, poke it through the gap over the extended staff, while simultaneously drawing the extended staff back under the over arm staff.

You'll need to do some fingerspins or vertical palmspins to get this to happen smoothly.

There are extra beat versions...just keep fingerspinning and stick the over staff through the next gap.

Josh

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Easy way.
--------------

Ask Rob. Him and Steve taught me how to do it

Pleeeaaasseee. bounce

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
For Klaymen

Definition for snake

Shoulder snakes

There's loads of other snakey and other club swinging goodness

here

EDIT: Sorry Stone only just saw your link there...
EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1086695660)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys smile. Yeah I was hoping that is what snakes meant (and not something else i cant do :P). Thread the double-needle sounds hard, and I want to see a movie smile.

Also, I need advice with making my new doubles, I think I'll make a new thread in here (as opposed to technical).

- Klaymen