Forums > Social Chat > Bobo is now in Germany!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
As some of you may know from a previous post, I'm going on an exchange to Germany.

I got that news in the beginning of April. They told me that I would get my host family in a month or so.... So here I am a month later, and I GOT MY HOST FAMILY!!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

*jumps around screaming giddily* I can't believe this is happening!!

Okay, so it's in Remscheid, and I'm going attend Roentgen-Gymnasium (highschool, as I"m doing grade 11 there). I leave in July, although the school year starts in September, but I have an intense three-week tutorial in another place before that. And I don't know where that "other place" is, so I guess I'll find out later.

Anyways, Remscheild's domestic airport is Dusseldorf (under 40km away), western Germany.

The family has a father and mother, both middle aged, and two children, their daughter is 18 and their son is 20. A bit old, I guess. Not really, my brother is 18 ^_^

They like bycicle tours, visiting friends and family, trekking, dancing, cooking, skiing, and painting! (I'll show up and go "Poi? Poi? Poi?" tongue )

OOooooh! I'm sooo excited!!! But I have to learn German, and I have.. a month and a half?! Eep...

If anyone knows any info on that area, do share!!

~ Bobo

EDITED_BY: OrangeBobo (1094396718)

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

FruleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Yap but most of the time it is like you say: too serious and too shy. For some funny reason they think flirting is totally committing... confused Hellooo, why can't we just have a little fun....? Smiling doesn't hurt! Plus sometimes they are very superficial. It's really different over here in Ireland - I like that wink

"I see," said the blind man.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
er... not so sure she is interested in german guys ...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

babajagaBRONZE Member
old hand
863 posts

Posted:
Did I understand something wrong? redface

never mind that counts for both I think biggrin

What is psychology?- Looking for a black cat in a dark room. What is psychoanalysis? Psychoanalysis is looking for a black cat in a dark room -- in which there is no cat -- but finding one anyway.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, I'm not exactly sure she isn't interested in German guys either. Just pretty sure she is more interested in other things...

-v-

babajagaBRONZE Member
old hand
863 posts

Posted:
I am pretty sure about that too but there was a question I tried to answer but now I am not sure anymore if I understood anything at all ubbloco
who knows who is interested in what only ones himself smile

just have a nice time

What is psychology?- Looking for a black cat in a dark room. What is psychoanalysis? Psychoanalysis is looking for a black cat in a dark room -- in which there is no cat -- but finding one anyway.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
no, you answered the right question. don't worry about it - beleive in your english language skills sweetie!

-v-

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
WOW!! you're going to have a fantabulous time!! have just read the entire thread as i hadn't before, i presume, you know a bit of german by now? don't worry though it'll be a great experience, i wish i was getting as excited as you right now, because in 4 days time I was meant to be uprooting for a year in France with little more than 3 french lessons, but crappily it has been postponed for at least 4 months, IF i even still get there.... frown 'nuff about me though, hope it all goes well!! and i shall sit and wallow here in my jealously wink

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Zavienewbie
24 posts

Posted:
hey, too bad I arrive so late, just two days before you leave.
but I'm sure you're going to have a great time.
I've been an exchange student a few years ago in the US, and it went... well, better not talk about it... but your host family seems to be cool and that's the principal.
Just so you know, Germans are all very good in English, they're all almost bilingual, so dont get caught in speaking english all the time because it's cool to speak german as well (dont for get thats partly what you're there for...).
Actually I'm leaving for Germany next month, and I'll stay there a year too, but there it's an university exchange so I'll be studying in University and living in a co-rent flat with an Italian and a Spanish girl. (when I knew it I jumped to the ceiling, you wouldnt believe!!! just like when you got the infos on your host family)
Well anyway all I want to say to you is have a great year and seize each and every moment there because it goes much faster than you think!
Another thing if you're having problems with german. the only thing is to understand the logic of the german grammar, then its ok. everything in german is all very logic.
see how the "den" for nouns becomes "ihn" for people, then "dem" is "ihm", und "der" mostly goes "ihr" (except for masculin nominative of course).
I've been studying german for almost ten years and I just got that!! Actually I might be able to speak a few words of german, but I think I'm going to have big times there understanding and getting understood....

Well have a great time, and feel free to ask me any questions about Germany or German people or the German language (I think I might be able to answer as it is supposed to be my actual field of study...)

ubbrollsmile

DEATH WILL ALWAYS BE A CELEBRATION OF CONFORMITY.
-Neil Gevisser-

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
ubblol You guys are killing me here! Go from talking about prostitution to questioning my sexuality! eekubblol

Think what you will, only I will know, nya nya! tongue

NOn and Zavie, thanks for giveing me a break from the insanity that resides in here! Zavie mate, sorry to hear your US trip was.. less than impressionable. My german teacher went on an exchange to Houston, TX. when she was in Uni, and she was not impressed with much there.

And as for your german lesson... Argh -.-; then it goes into accusativ, nominativ, and dativ, doesn't it? o.o'

I'm lost already biggrin

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

FruleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Insanity? ubbcrying

"I see," said the blind man.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Insanity is what HoP is known for...

Anyway, talk to you through gs.c. Have fun in Germany. Thanks for the critique again and I'll work on those flowers/isos w/ glowsticks! =P

~Kael

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Oh my god! From the belly of the beast! *pokes Kael to see if he's REAL*

Well, it's currently 8 hours until my flight departure... Exatly, it's 12:05, and my flight is 8:05! We'll be leaving tommorow at about 5:30... I'm up at four... Owch >.<

So ,I think in the past 6 hours, my blood pressure has gone up three fold ._.

How I've been feeling the last 8 months... It's like standing in line for a rollercoaster. You don't pay attention to it, and occupy yourself with your friends and family, doing your normal chit-chat, as you move through the hour long ride. Everytime you take a look at the ride, you realize you're going on it, and your stomach gives a little flutter, but you return to what you're doing. So then you're a couple people away from taking your seat, and you start getting a little excited. Then the gates open, and you take your seat. Get locked in, and you start to move. You curve around, and start going up the slope, and the higher you get, the more excited you get. You're nearing the top, and in addition to the excitement you get really really nervous. The you get to the top, the breif stall, and down you go!

Right now, I'm at the really really nervous part. Oh and add a little bit of scaredness into it too!

Well, just making a few CDs and MDs, and then I'm off to try to sleep.

Thank you all for being so supportive!! hughughugubbloveubblovekiss

The next time I post, I should be in Germany biggrin

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Well assuming that you made it to Germany. How was the trip? hug hug

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
The trip was great! All of my flights were early arriving, so we didn't miss one! And all were fine (flying wise) other than the first three hour flight to Detroit. And wow. The Detroit airport has a TRAIN IN IT! We went on it just for fun! ^_^

Ummm, I'm over my jet lag, already! I just stayed up, and went to bed proper time here... around 2230h. °_° I was up... I think it was 38 hours by the time I got to sleep!

And it is SOOO nice here biggrin My family is great, and so sweet!

For example, when I went to bed last night, Ingrid (my host mom) came in, and tucked me in bed, and kissed me goodnight! And then came to wake me up (at 11, thank god) and gave me another morning kiss! kissredface But it's so sweet, I think! (And I mean on the cheek, not a *kiss* kiss... !

The house is so neat, architectually! My room is a great size, and everything ist just perfect here smile I kinda don't want to tell my parents everything, because they will start to feel bad, and think that I will have a better life here than I did when I was at home. Which is of course definately not the case!

Oh, wait not *every* thing is perfect... The keyboard is weird! every thing, letter wise, is in the right place except the z and y. They're switched, and I just realized I wrote an e-mail, and was writing "zou" the whole time, instead of you. And all the gramatic keys are in different places, and we have öüä on here too. But I guess I'll eventually have to use them, no?

And I'm already getting an accent in my english ubblol ubblol But soon it'll be German wink

hug to all!!

~ Bobo
EDITED_BY: OrangeBobo (1094398473)

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
Yay Bobo! **glomp** hug2

Sounds like you're having a blast! Aren't those airport trains fun? biggrin I used to be obsessed with them when I was little... smile Those foreign keyboards are pesky, aren't they? I had so much trouble with the ones in Italy...

So is there an annoying ceiling fixture to get in the way of your poi? wink

Have lotsa fun! hug2 wave

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I had a close friend spend a year in Germany too. He loved *cough the 16 year old drinking age but hated the keyboards. I remember he was at my house and he couldn't type anything. *big grin

People there kiss cheeks as a greeting. I lived in Holland for a year and people always came up and kissed me on both cheeks. It almost threw me off when I got back in the States. (Can't tell you how many times I almost kissed a girl and got whacked)

Anyway, sounds like a grand time. Enjoy it as much as you could. It's the experience of a lifetime.

*Kael is jealous because he wants to go to Trance Energy...

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
YAY!!!!!!!

that sounds fantastic, the question is: how is your yard? for poi spinning thats is?

have an awsome time
peace/fire
Lyra

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
The first couple days are probably not a good time to tell your host family that you're a pyro who like spinning firey objects at high speeds.

^______^

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Ah, spinning room is alright in the backyard... On Saturday, when I arrived, Doro had a little party for me with some of her friends. (her friends who are.. oh, 18 and 19... got along just fine!) And I decided "hmm, good time for poi!" So I got my practice poi, and started teaching Doro, because, like I said, she wanted to learn! So I showed her somethings... She got the butterfly on her first try! I was amazed!

Oh, and Kael dear, they already know Iäm a pyro, and have shown them my wicks... They're stored in the 'garden house' so that they don't stink up the house. And I showed them a picture of what it looks like, when my friends got onto the front of the local newspaper one night!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
That's cool but to quote from gs.c...

Written by:

Argh, ne Kael, Iäd really rather not have my family rooting around on my computer... eeeep. Hmm, definately should have brought the tower on the plane as a carry on... *nods in approval*

~ Bobo

EDIT: Damn, I shouläve deleted all my logs before I left!!! Hmm, letäs hope they donät snoop, eh?

Do I even want to know what's on your computer? biggrin

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
ubblol I'm not sure! Where do your interest lie, hmm? tongue

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
glad to hear all is good with your arrival and host family. needless to say that the host family can play a huge part in how much you enjoy your stay. I had a friend do a year of college in Paris, and her first host family had a father that was basically doing the whole thing just so there would be young foriegn girls in the house, so she got out of there pretty fast and then landed in a ladies house who basically treated her like she was 13 (even though she was 20) with a curfew and no visitors allowed.

anyway, sounds like you have none of those worries!

-v-

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Sounds like you are going to have major good year. hug

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

Page: