Forums > Social Chat > Bobo is now in Germany!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
As some of you may know from a previous post, I'm going on an exchange to Germany.

I got that news in the beginning of April. They told me that I would get my host family in a month or so.... So here I am a month later, and I GOT MY HOST FAMILY!!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

*jumps around screaming giddily* I can't believe this is happening!!

Okay, so it's in Remscheid, and I'm going attend Roentgen-Gymnasium (highschool, as I"m doing grade 11 there). I leave in July, although the school year starts in September, but I have an intense three-week tutorial in another place before that. And I don't know where that "other place" is, so I guess I'll find out later.

Anyways, Remscheild's domestic airport is Dusseldorf (under 40km away), western Germany.

The family has a father and mother, both middle aged, and two children, their daughter is 18 and their son is 20. A bit old, I guess. Not really, my brother is 18 ^_^

They like bycicle tours, visiting friends and family, trekking, dancing, cooking, skiing, and painting! (I'll show up and go "Poi? Poi? Poi?" tongue )

OOooooh! I'm sooo excited!!! But I have to learn German, and I have.. a month and a half?! Eep...

If anyone knows any info on that area, do share!!

~ Bobo

EDITED_BY: OrangeBobo (1094396718)

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Getting to london is cheap from Germany (at least from Berlin)...check out ryanair.com. I don't know if it flys to Dusseldorf though...the other cheapish airline option is airberlin.com.

FräuleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
And www.germanwings.com from Cologne/Bonn to London wink

"I see," said the blind man.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Anyone would think people wanted you to come to the UK (well, seeing as you'll be sooooooo close.........)

biggrin wink

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Wooooooow. Those are crazy mad cheap! Like.. insane! To fly from Halifax to Toronto, it costs $200+ (CAD) and that's mad.

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeah, but then they have to also pay you to go to Halifax! tongue

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
Oh, Bobo, you're going to have the most *amazing* time! *clings to her* I promise!

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Nove, maybe if we double up and you go on my shoulders we can go as one person!!

You're short enough! *runs away from Nove*

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
*hisses at Bobo* tongue

*sobs* It's so true...
Now, all I gotta do is get to Halifax... Anyone got an airplane I could borrow?

You're still going to keep us up to date while you're there, though, won't you? ... Won't you?

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
ubblol Yes, calm child!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
tongue You'd better... 'Else I'll hunt you out...

Wait, that would mean going to Germany. And I'm *much* too lazy for that!

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
in best napolean dynamite voice: Lucky!

that is awsome beyond reason(almost)

it is very cool that you already know the daughter, maybe you could teach her poi and she could teach you unicycling and then you could have a traveling unicycling poi show, eek wink

when you are in Germany you will be thousands of miles away from your dad, what does he know if your drinking, besides, it would be legal wink

ive heard (from a german exchange student) that german teenagers have awsome parties(with beer) and stuff, so live it up!

anyways, hope you have an awsome time, and bring us back some giant pretzels ubbloco

peace/fire

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

284 posts

Posted:
Yap, awesome parties with loads of beer (the only place I know at the moment where they drink more beer is Ireland wink). And as Lyra already said: it would be legal wink Enjoy your stay... hug

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
remember that the prices they quote don't include taxes and airport fees, so the 15 euros one way is really more like 35 - but it is still way cheap! flying in europe is even cheaper than taking the bus.

also check out www.gexx.com and www.hlx.com and www.easyjet.com for other discount airlines operating out of germany to various places you might be interested in visiting.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
add me to the "to meet" list when i'm traipsing around europe on my holidays!

my friend is in germany this year and she used to be so quiet and shy...her hair is currently blue and she gets drunk every other weekend! eek

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
is she cute? wink

-v-

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
she's too young! eek
wink

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
unicycle! briliant!
have fun.

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rouge Dragon

she's too young! eek

wink

too young confused

bummer... wink

(FYI, something I found out the other day is that the age of conscent in Germany is 16!)

-v-

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
and i think she's just that! ubblol so hook in! ROFL!
you "found out the other day"? why? who were you asking for? spank

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
er.... uh, well... biggrin redface

Actually I think we were talking about prostitution, which is essentially legal here. But I was thinking some of them looked a bit young, and when I asked no one knew the age of conscent, so we looked it up online, and viola! you can be a prostitute at 16 around here without your johns having to worry about getting busted for having sex with a minor.

just one of those conversations....

-v-

284 posts

Posted:
I guess since last year it's a "real" profession in Germany (that's why thy are also called "Professionelle"). They now have to pay taxes and social insurances (like pubic... ubblol ahem "public" health insurance) as well.... But hey, this is OrangeBobo's "I am going to Germany" thread and we are talking about "Professionelle"!??!? Jeez... poor Bobo.... wink

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, they don't have to pay just taxes yet, but it sounds like it's coming soon. Although I'm sure they do have a powerful lobby within the government...

I mean, can you imagine all those german politicians worrying about pissing off their regular prostitues or what those same protitutes are doing to influence any politicians that happen to be customers. I wouldn't want a law to come into effect that suddenly took away half of my income and gave it to the goverenment - especially when before I got heaps of welfare in addition to the loads of cash I earned in my "not quite totally legal and totally tax free" trade and would no longer be eligable for that now too! mad

erm.. yeah, back to Bobo's thread (though she is learning about Germany this way...)

-v-

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Umm... You all have SICK SICK MINDS!! You should be ashamed ubbloco

So, rougie.. 16, eh? Your friend don't sound to old for me!!

Oh and Vanize, it's been my belief that in Halifax, age of consent is 14... I *think*.

In any case, I still have to pack, and it's 2 sleeps left. Actually, I just found my e-tickets yesterday... ^^;;;; My mom was giving me the WORST look I'd seen ubblol Kept going on about 'how will I survive in europe if I can't find my tickets'. This was after I found them (I was smart and didn't tell her what I was scrounging about for)

And my dad is just getting ANNOYING now... Lastnight, when I was going down the stairs, he pokes his head out his room, frowns, says he'll miss me and starts whimpering!!!

oy vey >.<

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

babajagaBRONZE Member
old hand
863 posts

Posted:
keep one thought in mind "not all Germans are in this mad2
way"

just kidding
you'll have a great time here biggrin

What is psychology?- Looking for a black cat in a dark room. What is psychoanalysis? Psychoanalysis is looking for a black cat in a dark room -- in which there is no cat -- but finding one anyway.

284 posts

Posted:
Aaaaawwwwww..... that's not annoying - that's cute. Poor daddy is going to have a tough time.... frown
(And YES, sick by nature wink)

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
that is the beautiful thing about e-tickets - If you lose them it doesn't matter! all you have to do is show your ID at the counter and they will let you on.

don't forget the passport though!

-v-

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
it's always good to know your confirmation number with e-tickets as well...sometimes the computer can get messed up as well and lose them that way. With a confirmation #, the airlines are sure to know you actually did purchase a ticket even if their computers don't think you did. My brother found this out the hard way one year trying to get home for Xmas.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Um, yo, my passport IS my ID. Unless they want:

"Lindsay *********, grade 10, Halifax West HIgh School, Student Government: Co presidents - Andre blahblahblah and Renee triestohardtobeintheeighties"

And Babajaga (besides having the hardest name I think I've had to spell O_o') I know all germans aren't like that! I've had two live with my family for an extended period of time (6 - 12 months) and both of them were absolutely charming! Although, my german teacher said that german men were... weird, and not good to date?? confused

Ah, well, not like I'll get into a relationship then, can't manage one here!!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, Babajaga does happen to be dating an American, so she might not be the most impartial person to ask about that!

-v-

babajagaBRONZE Member
old hand
863 posts

Posted:
may be !! ubblol

in my view it is every so often hard to flirt with German guys they are too serious or too shy sometimes

emphasis on sometimes, there are also open minded cool guys here cool

you'll see

What is psychology?- Looking for a black cat in a dark room. What is psychoanalysis? Psychoanalysis is looking for a black cat in a dark room -- in which there is no cat -- but finding one anyway.

Page: