Forums > Social Chat > Alarm Clock Etiquette (rant)

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so last night at about 02:00 I finally got done taking care of my patients and making sure that they were all tucked in and sleeping blissfully, and I went to the call room and crawled into bed (well, "into" implies a soft, comfy bed with blankets, so maybe "onto" would be more appropriate). Now, the call rooms have bunk beds and can accomodate two med students. So about an hour later, another med student came in and took the top bunk and went to sleep. He woke me up coming in, but that's fine because he came in, took off his shoes, stethoscope and white coat, and got into bed and didn't keep me awake for more than a minute or so.

Now, I set my pager alarm for 06:15. I figured that if we were rounding at 07:00, that gave me 5 minutes to brush my teeth, put on deodorant, and wash my face and 40 minutes to round on all my patients. He set his cell phone alarm for 05:45. That's fine, too.

But his alarm went off at 05:45. He shut it off. It went off again at 05:50. He shut it off. It went off again at 05:55. I was too groggy to bitch at him. It went off again at 06:00. And this continued until 06:10 when I finally gave up and got up.

soapbox Now, when I am sleeping in close proximities to others and need to be awake first thing in the morning, I consider it to be common decency that when my alarm goes off, I should be on my feet and have the alarm shut off within 5 seconds, and then I should get out of the sleeping room as quickly as possible so as not to disturb those who are still sleeping.

mad2Is this not common decency? My college roommate hadn't figured this out (I had to keep shaking him awake so that I could go back to sleep), and now this arse was so inconsiderate as to keep waking me up, thus robbing me of 30 minutes of precious sleep on call. angry

Now excuse me. I'm going to take a nap. rolleyes

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
ERg....sorry to hear man.

I snooze a lot, but I don't share my room with anyone, so I don't bug anybody.

Rest well and here's to no annoying snoozing habits.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Poor Lightning hug hug have a good nap.

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
At least it wasn't raining. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Actually, it's not raining, FOR ONCE.

-Mike

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Lightning, you are completely in your rights to be angry and annoyed with this individual...however... (geez don't you guys hate it when i use that word smile )

Have you thought that he might not be 100 conscious when he is turnign off the alarm...for if her was, there is a good chance he would get up anyway...

Maybe he is in that confortable space where the outside world doesn't really exist yet, all that exists int he sleepiness and the alarm ringing.

Can we say for certain that he is fully accountable for his actions if he is in a headspace like that?

(just to throw a spanner in here of course)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, when you're on call, your job is to be alert and awake immediately when called.

-Mike

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
hug

Hope you caught up on your sleep.

angel2

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i'm a snoozer. i fully admit it. but when i was in college and had a roommate, i learned to get up quickly when my alarm went off out of courtesy for my roommate. nowadays i admit i slack. when i have someone sleeping in the bed with me, it's a bit different. and usually whoever that person has been lately, has been able to sleep all day if they want, so i don't worry about them having to put up with my snoozing.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I too seem to have become somewhat of a snoozer, but I usually only hit snooze once. In college, I was up when the alarm went off. I did have one annoying roomate though who never was. The trick I learned since her alarm was right next to my head as well (we had bunk beds and there was no place for her to put the clock on the top bunk). I just turned hers off when it went off. If she wanted to get up, that was fine, if she didn't, she didn't. She eventually learned why it was rude to keep hitting the snooze when there were others in the room trying to sleep and finally started getting up when the alarm went off around the last month of school.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I HATE SNOOZE!!!! It's a waste of time and deserves to be riped out of every alarm inthe land. It makes peeps lazy and eventually their brain just shuts off from hearing it and then it keeps going and going and going and going ARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just don't get it, I want to get up at 6am I wake up and get up at 6am. I don't want waking at 5:30 and then 3 or 4 more tie till I have to get up. It just doesn't make sense to me,

Mike you have my sympathies, next time just steel it and hide it till you've gone out and then hide it so when it goes off they wake up and try to snooze it ad can't find it but can hear it beep beep so they have to get up and discover it by themselves....tee hee hee ubbangel

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Bug, you're brilliant.

Evil, yes.

But brilliant.

-Mike

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Yes, so brilliant, it will wake you up as well, Lightning...

wink

(Sorry, couldn't resist that...)

I think a bucket-of-ice-suspended-over-the-head-clock is a much better system than an snoozed alarm anyway...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i love my snooze button, but when i need to get up; i get up.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DAemonmember
3 posts

Posted:
My alarm just beeps for 45 seconds, them turns itself off. Completely off.

Oh, and warm water on the hands works just as well as bucket of ice - much more subtle...

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:

I admit i'm a snoozer, but only while on my own - But there is nothing like another person in the room to make me jump out of bed and turn that thing off asap so as to not annoy another!

I love my sleep, appreciate uninterrupted sleep, and so respect others need/desire for the same.

Theres nothing worse than knowing you have time for needed sleep, but can't get it due to others frown

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

DFZBRONZE Member
Christian Death Metal Anyone?
313 posts

Posted:
I have the habit of always waking up before the alarm goes off. Also once i have woken up i am awake for atleast another half an hour so snooze is useless to me.

Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?
-- Steven Wright

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Mike, my sympathies mate - thats a horrible thing to deal with - I know! smile

When travelling in Europe, staying in Dorms with sometimes 20 other ppl, theres always one complete Git who has to be a noisy Bastard when getting up to catch the 5am train. Theres over 20 other ppl in teh room who would otherwise be enjoying at least another couple of hours before getting up, but no.

The worst is the ppl who think its a really good idea to keep all their stuff wrapped up in seperate plastic shopping bags...and then at 5am they have to open them all and re-wrap them all to assemble the clothes they are going to wear?? Err Hello!? You coulda worked out what you were going to wear last night?!?!

I HATE THAT.

Still - when ppl have been too obnoxiously loud in the morning I've hissed em an earfull on occassion smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i'll admit, i'm the world's worst snoozer. honestly, it takes me a while to wake up in the morn, so i need to hear the alarm go off a couple of times before i can get outta the bed. my alarm usually goes off at 6.20am, then i hit snooze every 6 mins until 6.50 - 7.00am, then run out the door almost late for work.......

i live by myself though, so i'm not getting on anyone's nerves first thing in the morn......

i love my bed ubblove

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile