_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello there lovely poi-ers,
After a couple of years with my trusty leather poi handles, the leather is now totally wrecked.
I'd love to get some new leather ones, but here in good ol' Northern Ireland it doesn't appear possible to get a little bit of leather (why, I don't know?!)
Cobblers and the like have only got bits of leather that's really too tough and far too thick... the only alternative, I'm told, is to buy a sheet of leather from London (costs about £100). Hohum.
I know this isn't a particularly important thread... but it'd be nice to be able to spin without getting many blistered fingers.
Anyways, does anyone have any marvellous suggestions for poi handles... I've searched the forums and can't find a mention.
thanks for that weavesmiley
xoxox

Getting to the other side smile

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
The double loop handles sold on this site are good. They're nylon but being double loops makes them fairly easy on the hands. Its what Ive used from day one and Ive never had any problems with finger pain. If you truly must have leather, Im sure a quick search on Google for "leather poi handles" would result in a few online dealers.

Also, where did you get your first set?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
You can use Kevlar wicking in the same way.
- it's fire proof
- it's stronger than leather
- be carefull not to get fuel on it, might catch fire.

Check out www.bearclawmfg.com Tedward makes them wink

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I got my first set in a shop in Brisbane... they've lasted me well ubblol even though they've been modified quite alot since then!! (Dammit, I'm going to have to totally redo my wick soon too umm)
My practice poi have the nylon double loops, but I like having the single loop leather ones for fire... just in case i set them on fire too... which has been known to happen (that'll explain why my ones are kindof wrecked). Also, for some strange reason they feel more secure (but then, my poi are monster heavy freaky things)
thanks for the advice
beerchug

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Why use handles at all. I'm beginning to think of fishing weights as handles. Counter balance for throws at a fraction of the size.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Nice idea, but I don't think I'm good enough yet to do without my trusty handles (bah, security blankets).
Though, it would help with the throws, right enough...
Btw, are there many poi-types in Dublin...?! I can't find any up here ubbcrying

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
The only actual troupe are fire dance . I've met the guy who runs it, he's based in the North I think. You can't get performers fire insurance down here so they're the only actual group. There's other performers but most use clubs / promoters insurance.

There's loads of random people round who twirl and juggle though pm me if you want email addresses / phone numbers. The people I know are well friendly. smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
I got a pair of leather trousers secondhand for £8, which are nice and soft and would keep you in poi handles for aaaaages.

monkeys ate my brain

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello
Checked out the website, though by the phone numbers looks like they're in the south.
I've contacted the circus school here in Belfast, and from what I can gather, there's one other girl who does poi here... but loads of fire jugglers and diablo-types. Apparently you can get insurance for £140 a year.
I'm doing a bit outside Milk in Belfast, and the owner said there used to be a guy who did poi and other such things, but he hasn't been around for a while.
Do you know anymore about this workshop-thingy in Dublin?!
Anyways, am still on the hunt for decent handles, so if you hear of anything... weavesmiley
Take care
Clare

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ahhh... that's a great idea Mo-seph
I shall check out the charity stores...
Belfast fashion = plenty of dodgy leather gear
ubbrollsmile