FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
(I've done a search for this, so sorry if I'm repeating someone!)

Okay, so I'm not that good at poi, but I'm even worse at teaching!...

I've got quite a few people I know interested in doing poi, who've asked me to teach them a few things while I'm there. I try, and I'm not sure why, but I find it really difficult to teach people - it's not so much that I don't know what I'm on about, as I can do, and understand the moves, I just find it really hard to teach them! I never feel like I'm communicating properly!

I know I could just send them to HoP, or to someone who can teach, but I know many people who have wanted to begin learning there and then. weavesmiley

Has any one got any good tips or necessities on teaching other people poi that they could lend me?

Thanks in advance, hug
koo xx

smells like burning teenagers..

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, first off (forgive me for sounding harsh) but some people are really natural teachers (Glass, Dom & dsAds spring to mind) and just have a great way of explaining moves (except reverse fish-tails, but that might have been me wink ) whereas others find it really difficult.

Think back to how you learnt a move and try that approach. It also really helps if you know many different ways of explaining a move - I've seen the weave taught in oh-so-many ways, and different ways work for different people.

It might not be that you're a bad teacher, it's possible that you're just not explaining to that particular person in a way that they find easy to understand (which leads to frustration, anger, hate, the darkside etc.)

People like those I mentioned above are possibly great teachers as they are SUCH good spinners, however a good spinner is not always a good teacher smile

Just be patient, try different approaches to the same move and don't get stuck in rut - if someone really can't get the weave after 15 minutes, get them doing butterfly stuff - it'll ease their frustration whilst still improving their co-ordination.

Finally, teaching, like spinning, is all about practice - the more you teach, the better you get smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
One way of finding out if you really undestand how a move works is to try and teach it to someone.

Different people learn in different ways. The best thing to do (IMHO) is explain it in as many ways as you can think of.

Break it down, explain the components.
Drill skills needed to do (eg one hand at a time for weave).
Simpler, similar vesions.
Show it in it's entirety.
How to get into it from something they do know.
Give people some time to themselves to figure something out so they don't get flustered.

Be patient and encouraging. smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
Thankyee all!

Durbs - you have a new fan... wave

DeepSoulSheep - that's helped muchly

Dragon7 - I'm going to read as much as I can of that, thanks.

Thank you guys!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I have to break each move down in to right hand first, then left hand then hopefully together. Then try to make sure I do it in each direction.

This seems to work for me teaching other ppl with similar coordination problems as I have. I also have to stand next to them not in front to learn a move.

Sometimes its good to even put down the poi and simply use your hands and even hold thier hands to move them where they need to be. I have seen some teachers use clubs or even washing machine fittings to teach new moves as well.

A reflective surface is a good self correction tool as well.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I try out several different methods of teaching and it depends upon the move and the person.

One rule that seems to work well is not to be too complex.

For example I now tend to teach threading the needle within 5 minutes and 3 simple instructions: practice with both hands on top - then go from weak hand on top to good hand on top without telling them how to do it - then tell them to pull hands further apart.

Obviously the weave takes longer.

And sometimes you don't have to say anything at all if you spin cleanly and slowly.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
i taught my cousin the weave by standing right up close behind her, taking her hands and doing with weave for her. then i let go after a few seconds and ta-da! she was doing it for herself smile same method didn't work on my extremely cack-handed sister tho :rolleyes: ubblol

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
I've tried the standing behind someone thing, and got hit on the head!!

I think the 'don't-stand-too-close-for-your-own-safety' works better for me!! ubblol