Forums > Help! > what fuel to use for body fire tricks

Login/Join to Participate

Goddessdastranger
24 posts

Posted:
what fuel do I want to use so that I can make trials on My body with the fire.. or do tranfer tricks? I hope I am asking the right question.
Goddessda weavesmiley

Real happiness is when you marry a guy for love and find out later he has money.
-- Bob Monkhouse

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
White gas or coleman fuel are good.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually, when you are starting out, use rubbing alcohol to practice. It is not as volatile as white gas/naphtha fuels.

Other things to remember...
You want to remove hair from the body parts you are doing transfers on, however do not use a depilatory cream (Nair) or wax because these open the pores of the skin. The fuel gets in them and can cause a pretty vicious rash or even chemical burn blisters (I speak from experience). In this case, shaving is the way to go.

Next, you want your torch to be really moist but not dripping wet. A gentle shake off will go a long way to getting the drips off. The problem with dripping torches is that the drips ignite as well, and can cause a pretty big mess. I have seen people forget to shake that little extra off and end up with flaming fuel running down their appendage, and a couple have even ignited costumes from this. Not good.

Try to avoid inner elbow, inside the wrists and behind the knees. The skin in these parts is very thin and very absorbing. Until you get accustomed to what you are doing, they should be avoided at all costs.

Practice with the palm of your hand first, as it is a pretty tough part of the body.

If you plan on presenting this for a show, please be creative, as tonnes of people do this.

Also please keep in mind that beyond burns there are also many side effects including rashes and other allergic reactions to the fuel and the potential for skin cancer.

Kindest Regards,
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Goddessdastranger
24 posts

Posted:
is it safe to use two different fuels on your sticks. alcohol one day and lamp oil the next.. I went to lowes today to try to buy fuel and they didn't have any where is the best place to buy fuel.
Goddess DA

Real happiness is when you marry a guy for love and find out later he has money.
-- Bob Monkhouse

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Lowes is good for denatured alcohol, I get my white gass/naptha at walmart (camping section) I usually get the cheaper version (great outdoors or something) in the green can, same stuff as coleman but a little cheaper. In my opinion switching fuels on your wicks isn't a problem you should be fine. I do it al the time.

FYI biggrin
(note: lamp oil won't work for contact) smile
(note: don't mix chlorine and ammonia, or chlorine and Borine. A few bad combos I know of)

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Try to avoid inner elbow, inside the wrists and behind the knees. The skin in these parts is very thin and very absorbing. Until you get accustomed to what you are doing, they should be avoided at all costs.

Just wanted to stress this part cuz the first (and so far only) time I did this, it was on the inside of my wrist and I got a nice dime-sized 2nd degree burn.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me