_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
Would it be safe to use half of a plastic milk jug for a fuel bucket? Right now i'm useing a water catcher thingy for plants as a fuel bucket and was wondering if the grade of plastic they use in milk jugs would be safe to put fuel in for soaking my wicks?
EDITED_BY: VictorTango (1085968015)

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i'm not exactly sure, but i'd say no! u should probably use a glass jar or an old fuel bottle. i use an old one litre kero bottle with the top cut off so i can actually dip my poi in there. wink

some plastics can basically disintegrate or fall apart with certain liquids in them! eek

geez - can u tell i work at a petrol station where i have to tell people that no they can't put petrol in their juice bottle!? ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
hey where's my sig?!

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
ummm....from personal experience...NOOOOOO!!!!!

The damn plastic on those things melts and leaves not only a bad mess to clean up but also renders what fuel you have in there with it useless.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
A stainless steel cannister of some sort is my preferred fuel tin...although, I used to use an actual tin (that had peaches in it when I bought it!) which is pretty good if oyu are on a budget...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
well i cool my wicks before putting them in the fuel. any who i ended up takeing an old camp fuel can and cutting it in half so now i have a nice fuel bucket. Thankies for the info. hug

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
I use (empty) baked bean tins!

I'm thinking about getting one of those plastic safe-lid things that people put on their cat food tins to keep it fresh, so that I can use the baked bean tin as the container as well as the 'thing I use to soak poi in' thing. Hopefully it'll make my paraffin more carryable as opposed to the big bottle I bought it in!

Will this work / keep the fuel safe?

koo xx

smells like burning teenagers..

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
oooops - i genereally use the bottom 1/2 of a coke bottle!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I just use empty peanut butter glass jars (as apposed to marmite cuz they suck like marmite) and they're pretty good as they obviously come with a lid on! But tin would probably be better so long as you could get it to seal properly

Let's relight this forum ubblove

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I mainly use fire ropes which need a bigger container, and the best I've found is to cut the top off a standard big, square, paraffin container.

If you can get hold of a container slightly bigger than the actual one your paraffins in, then the dunking container can slot around the paraffin one and take up no extra space in your bag.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
its got to the point where we just use old jars, its works and we haven't had one disintergrate yet....
...yet...

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

GoodSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
I use new paint cans from the hardware store. They're a good size for dipping but you need to pound the lid on real tight (or just LOVE the smell of Kero in the truck...)

take the schneak-tip

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Paint cans here.

I trust them, and they make for good dunking chambers. you just pop the lid off and dunk your wicks, then pop the lid back on. You can even leave your wicks in there for storage if you want.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Depends on the fuel you use.

If you use white gas, do not use a plastic container. You'll note that white gas always is sold in a metal can: that's because it will deform plastic (there may be some grades of plastic that will hold up, but not your everyday PET or HDPE).

If you use lamp oil/kerosene (any low-volatility fuel, I think), you can use plastic--I do.

Smart people have advised against glass, as it can shatter (and might, if you knocked a hot wick into it). Considering the haphazard conditions we sometimes find ourselves fueling up in, I think that avoiding glass is a good idea.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:

I recently got a nice big empty 750 gram coffee tin from the canteen here at work. They go through about two a day. Its dead handy, sealed, free and enviro friendly.

I'm willing to bet alot of cafe's would have these and would probably give them away.

Love is the law.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I just use barbecue lighting fluid in a cut in half coke bottle or a bucket... nice and cheap... is this safe?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Raven_WolfeRunSILVER Member
journeyman
91 posts

Posted:
Personally I would NOT recommend using plastics to hold you fuel. Different fuels eat away at it pretty quick so you just end up with one big mess. My troop and I use coffee cans. You can fill en up high enough and if you need to cover them you can use the lids, just put small holes in the lid so the vapor can escape, keep em small though or else white gas and such will evaporate pretty quick. Sure the can lids are plastic, but they disintegrate much slower above the fuel than holding it, plus if it does melt away you won't have fuel all over the place. Or you can cover the can in tinfoil, that works really well too.

May the flame on your balls not be too hot

Raven_WolfeRunSILVER Member
journeyman
91 posts

Posted:
Ok, while you can use BBQ fluid, personally i wouldn't advise it, it has a pretty quick burn time which makes it time consuming because your constantly having to soak your wicks and burning through it so fast make it kind of expensive in the long run, plus the vapors are enough to get a person buzzed. And, by the Gods, DON'T breathe it!

May the flame on your balls not be too hot

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
FRD, go buy yourself some white gass or parrafin. As Raven has stated the BBQ fluid is expensive and the vapors can kill you.

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
ohhhhhh. Wow.... death. Yup, that sucks.... hmmmm.Have to remember that.....

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: Raven_WolfeRun

Personally I would NOT recommend using plastics to hold you fuel. Different fuels eat away at it pretty quick so you just end up with one big mess. My troop and I use coffee cans. You can fill en up high enough and if you need to cover them you can use the lids, just put small holes in the lid so the vapor can escape, keep em small though or else white gas and such will evaporate pretty quick. Sure the can lids are plastic, but they disintegrate much slower above the fuel than holding it, plus if it does melt away you won't have fuel all over the place. Or you can cover the can in tinfoil, that works really well too.

Careful with the coffee tins.... If you do punch holes for ventilation. Bear in mind the vapor trail will lead straight back to the tin and if it goes up with the lid on you have a very sharp disc like projectile that can chop your bits off or just plain kill you, even if your far away.... I used to keep a gallon of of fuel outside the backdoor but now my non fire spinning flatmate has started smoking out there. so its away down at the far end of the yard now.

Love is the law.

RavensHeartSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
I've just got some paraffin and it came in plastic. small nozzle too so I can't dip my wicks in. I couldn't find a small airtight metal container to transport some fuel around - guy at Robert Dyas didn't recommend them. Found a jar at home with a rubber seal - so that'll work. Only downside is that it's glass.

Will the rubber corrode, anyone?