Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Spinning for 8.5 minutes.......

Login/Join to Participate

Axenewbie
28 posts

Posted:
Ok, one of my mates just made himself some new toys, including a few new monster staves. We timed one of the smaller ones last night and it burns for approx 5 minutes. So what we were wondering was how easy people reckon it would be to spin for the full 8.5 minutes and stay interesting for the entire time......ie trying not to get too repetitive etc. Any thoughts?

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
s'all down to how creative your mate is. besides there's nothing wrong with a bit of repitition as long as you've got enough moves/ ideas to make it seem varied... wink

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Learns lots of sh1t. Differnet sh1t. not just regular sh1t but varied and cool sh1t. Then link all your sh1t into one lump of moves and mix someof your sh1t with other sh1t to make yet more cool sh1t and people will say "DAMN! That guy spins some cool sh1t" and they will love you wink hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Lol @ bug! biggrin

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
yeah it depends on how much stuff you know.

I dont think it would be impossible to spin for 8 mins without getting boring...there is a LOT of stuff you can do with staves...especially if you use them as doubles, and also conbine in contact and characterisations and stuff...

ermto answer the question tho; it depends on your audience. Ive seen ppl captivated for ages by very simple twirling, but to keep an audience of experienced twirlers interested for 8.5 mins on one implement might be tricky - I think you would have be well hardcore to manage that.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
erm , if your audience were goldfish though, you'd need only need 30 secs worth of original routine.

remember though, they be friends, not food!
EDITED_BY: bender™ (1085961833)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
lolsign at bender, so so true....*sigh* i agree with custombug though, its a case of knowing your stuff and some very tricky pieces to throw in the mix, but if they are expreienced spinners themselves...you could be in some shyte... nana (ha ha ha, i love that little guy...)
best help i can give ya...

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

wenchamuffinBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
I twirled for a school club recently, and a few kids missed the show, so I did exactly the same thing again...everyone watched the second time too. Most people will probably watch no matter what you do, because fire is cool.

Things go better with a little bit of razzamatazz

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Want to make a fun interesting show in 8.5 minutes?

Get several different music tracks, with different beats and sounds and styles that total to about 8 minutes and spin to them.

Listen to the music and change your style/speed/moves to suit the different musical styles.

Try to put some funny bits in to break it up, too. Like an angry piano solo where you throw the staff on the ground and silently yell at it, appear to forgive it, and pick it up and cuddle it...

You can do all sorts of theatre-type stuff in the middle of a set, it doesn;'t have to be straight spinning the whole time...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

SpinSin2005member
7 posts

Posted:
I would use a lot of arials and some contact spinning.. Not just straight spinning but a lot of small changes that look fantastic.. like neck spins and arm over elbow spins
SpinSin

SpinSin the Sinister Fire Addict

...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:
use variations of speed to kill your time ... like charles said ... music to slow or speed up the time ... its all about timing...

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
don't forget to stop spinning it every now and then to and hold a 'dramatic pose', or tell a few jokes..

biggrin biggrin biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

633 posts

Posted:
explain in a deap and sincere voice , exactly what poi are , and the cultural back round , where they derived from . see if the people realy grasp the integrity of the art !

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
It's fun twirling for ages. Just have 'sections', like i like to pretend the staff is poi and just do weaves fwd/bkwd and windmill for a while, then do heaps of snaking moves, spinning body around, then heli-plane, then shoulder centred spinning, then passing moves including btl etc.

yaaay for staff

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Also, start small - you can kill a surprsing amount of time with "basic" spinning - keep up-ping the difficulty. If you start off with loads of crazy contact moves, it doesn't leave you with much to do for the remaining set...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Not to mention that lots of slow-medium speed contact moves will make the burn last EVEN longer...

biggrin biggrin biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

633 posts

Posted:
durbs dude , i have to say , you have a "killer" avatar .... makes me laugh everytime!!

and Axe dude .... just spin that sh!t for 8 minutes or whatever and tell link us to the vid. man you can do .... easy!