Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
Hi, I am wondering what length I should be looking at for double short staffs. Is there a standard length or is it in relation to the length of your arms? Would someone please be able to give me the method of working out the length if this is the case. What lengths are people using for their double short staffs? What lengths are peoples long staffs? What length are people using for their single short staffs? Are people using the same length short staffs for both single and double short staffing?I do all of staffing with a staff that is around one metre long. I am planning to make different staffs for different purposes. How long can a staff be? How short can a staff be? What lengths are people using and what purposes do the different lengths serve? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different lengths? Sorry about asking so many questions but I got a bit carried away. Thanks in advance. Rain.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
methinks you are being too specific. Just go with what feels right. see a pole, pick it up and play. You'll find what's fluid.I made myself a pair of short staves which are slightly under a metre long, i guess. I've never actually measured them. One of my fire friends finds them too short and others too long. I'm 5ft 3inches tall (on a good day) and would personally not want them any longer than they are now. This length allows me horizontal moves at either side of my body.I will be making myself a new pair this weekend that are about 15cm shorter. easier to dance with to quicker music and gives the appearance of faster spinning, as the resolutions are shorter.I've played with ones about 50cm long and personally found them to be too short. kinda felt like club swinging; a bit rigid for me.Another thing to consider is heat. i wasn't comfortable with large flames 20cm either side of my hand. I was compelled to constantly spin them; a little afraid to take a break and just hold them because the movements of the flames brought them too close to my hands.I don't use a single short staff. My long staff comes just short of my chin.hope this helps.flash------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
the longest staff i saw i never though was untwirlable, untill i saw her on stilts, it had 3 wicks each end, it was huge!but ive had one staff my whole twirling life, so i cant judge, but i got a long staff, when i stand it up its just over my shoulders, ive been told its meant to be just under ur shoulders so it swings under ur arms easyer.[This message has been edited by smitty (edited 23 February 2001).]

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
i have a 5', a 6', and an 8' staff, but i have a feeling i do staff a little different than most. if you're looking for short double staff, though, you might want to try with something like a kids' baton...if they still make them!

Chris @ Fireworksmember
4 posts

Posted:
Hey Rain, try fire devil sticks for shorter double batons. The shorter you go the less weight and gravity they have, but devil sticks are tappered and all the weights at the end and they feel great to twirl.Try Juggleart in Brunswick St., or we have em here. I got away from double staves because i was just too limited in moves. Getting under arn clearence allowes so many extra combos.C,ya Chris @ Fireworks.

Dimitrimember
26 posts

Posted:
I used to use longer staffs but the longer that I've played with two, I seem to need them shorter and shorter. There are two different lengths that I consider when choosing how long to make a set of double staffs for myself. The first is if I extend my arm in front of me, how easily/safley can I spin a circle on the inside of my arm. There are a number of wonderful moves that can use this space. Another length I check is how easily/safley can I put the staff between my legs. (i.e. can you make one spin behind your legs and come back out in front). Hope this helps.....

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
From what I've heard, a full length fighting-sized staff should come to just above your eyebrows. For double staffs, mine are about 4ft long, and I'm 6'2". I'm thinking about making some 5ft double staffs though, and one of my troupe-mates is practicing with double long staff. It's all a matter of preference and handlability.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
thanks for the replies. i will have a play around and find what feels best for me. your responces have inspired me to go and have a play with some lengths both longer than i would have tried and shorter than i would have tried previosly. thanks again. Rain.