• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 1...7891011...18
Doc Lightning
GOLD Member since May 2001

Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor

Total posts: 13920
Posted:So I've now been a vegetarian for almost 3 years. I originally became a vegetarian because I realized I was a meat addict. There are also environmental concerns. Ethical concerns are way down on my list since I find it gets confusing for me to strongly support animal research for medical applications while opposing using animals for food. Especially because I'm not vegan.

But the final decision happened, not coincidentally, on the first day of Gross Anatomy dissection lab. ubblol

So after 3 years of almost total abstinence from meat (I'll eat meat if there is no other feasable option), I think I'm pretty much de-addicted. The idea of eating a large steak is just not at all appetizing to me.

BUUUUT, this vegetarian business is getting very inconvenient. It makes people stress over where to go for dinner, or what to cook for me. Furthermore, it significantly limits what I can order at a restaurant, and I can't stand it when the only vegetarian options on a menu feature zucchini and mushrooms (two of my least favorite foods).

So I'm starting to debate whether to de-classify myself as a vegetarian and just carry on with life eating very little meat. And by "very little" I mean less than one serving of meat a week. Since my initial reasons were for health, I don't see how this small amount of meat (which, when consumed, will preferably be organic) would change my risk factors. And such miniscule meat consumption wouldn't have much environmental impact. Besides, I have an unfortunate tendency towards anemia.

What do you think?

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete Topic

CrazyHippyChick
SILVER Member since Jul 2004

errrrrr what?

Total posts: 198
Posted:HATES VEGGIES WHO EATS FISH!!!!!!! i cant stand these people if u eat fish you are NOT a vegetarian!!!

I'll come back as fire and burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ashes on the ground.
I could write the new bridget jones diary only mine would be more bizarre, funnier, dirtier more unbelievabe and bloody true!

Delete

Dunc
GOLD Member since Aug 2003

Dunc

playing the days away

Total posts: 7263
Posted:easy now wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

CrazyHippyChick

errrrrr what?

Posted:i am many things bug but easy has never been one of em!

I'll come back as fire and burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ashes on the ground.
I could write the new bridget jones diary only mine would be more bizarre, funnier, dirtier more unbelievabe and bloody true!

Delete

Doc Lightning

Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor

Posted:HippyChick? You HATE people for what they eat?

I hope you don't really mean that.

-Mike )'(

Delete

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)

enthusiast

Total posts: 456
Posted:I think she's actually hating them for calling themselves vegetarians, but that's a bit extreme too.

Myself I save my hate for people who wilfully and maliciously cause unnecessary suffering to others, for fun and profit. But that's just me.

Lightning, is it your birthday, dude? Happy Birthday! I hope that boy of yours gives you a good...birthday. :-)

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

Delete

CrazyHippyChick

errrrrr what?

Posted:no i dont hate people for what they eat. i just get annoyed at i luv animals how can u eat them. oh but i eat fish cos they dont count!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrr

Delete

CrazyHippyChick

errrrrr what?

Posted:its not extreme!!!!!!

Delete

Twirly

Twirly

Shoryuken!

Total posts: 233
Posted:8 exclamation marks in a row isn't extreme?

Delete

CrazyHippyChick

errrrrr what?

Posted:not by my standards darlin wink

Delete

Doc Lightning

Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor

Posted:Hate is always extreme.

-Mike )'(

Delete

CrazyHippyChick

errrrrr what?

Posted:wonders why everyone is taking one word soooooooooo out of context!!!!!!

Delete

CrazyHippyChick

errrrrr what?

Posted:help

Delete

Pyrolific
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium

Total posts: 3288
Posted:do you count snails hippy chick? what about sea slugs?

and what about mushrooms?

what about jelly fishes?

josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Delete

CrazyHippyChick

errrrrr what?

Posted:im strict veggie. I dont eat anything that an animal has been killed for including any kind of animal fats etc. Neither do i use any products that have been tested on animals. I just feel that if you are vegatarian for animal rights reasons then it is hipocritical to eat any animal in any form. I just dont see how people can see it immoral to eat one but acceptable to eat another. Whats the difference they have all been killed for the convienience of humans?

Delete

Faberg

veteran

Total posts: 1459
Posted:Written by: Josh

do you count snails hippy chick? what about sea slugs?

and what about mushrooms?

what about jelly fishes?

josh

isn't the plural of jellyfish jellyfish tongue

* runs & hides *

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Delete

CrazyHippyChick

errrrrr what?

Posted:oh and mushrooms are fine especially magic ones wink
hee hee

Delete

CrazyHippyChick

errrrrr what?

Posted:giggles at jelly fishes

Delete

Doc Lightning

Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor

Posted:Hippiechick, do you wear leather? Do you use medicine if you get sick?

-Mike )'(

Delete

_pOp_
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

Playing OldSchool Poi

Total posts: 593
Posted:oh man lightning, lighten up!!!!

you act as if you own all the knowledge in the world...

yours is JUST an opinion too, you know. copied from others.

let me answer your question:

I don't wear leather at all, no belts, shoes, coats, guitar straps, anything.

I try not to take medication, and if so I take medicinal plants.

in the worst case i will take aspirins, but not from certain manufacturers, like BAYER, who experimemted on concentration-camp jews and never even appologised for it yet!!!!

and it's all a matter of choice still: if you have a choice, take the right one, but we vegetarians DO know that we life in the 21th century, as you have noticed we are the ones that live for the now, and don't go "we have canines to tear up flesh" crap. Now we HAVE a choice, and you'd be bloody ignorant to deny that and stick your head up your arse to deny the unnescesary suffering dealt to our fellow beings...

eric.

EDITED_BY: 'pOp' (1089305108)

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

Delete

Faberg

veteran

Total posts: 1459
Posted:ok, since we're back on the subject of "what constitutes are TRUE vegetarian or vegan".....

i've been trying out a vegan diet again for the past couple of weeks (shortly after this thread started actually. some of the posts in this thread made me stop and think about my reasons for becoming a vegetarian in the first place)

the only dairy products i eat are butter & cheese. i'll really miss the cheese, that's why at this stage i'm "trying it out" as opposed to "becoming a vegan".

the thing is, right now most of my shoes, belts etc, ARE made from leather. i have no intention of replacing these with vegan footwear, clothing etc right now, as i simply can't afford it. but it may be something i would consider in the future

my question is, are vegans opposed to buying leather goods fullstop? or how do you feel about secondhand goods, like for example a leather handbag bought from a charity shop (there are probably better examples but that's the first one that comes to mind)

just interested..... smile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Delete

_pOp_

Playing OldSchool Poi

Posted:that is something that you have to decide for yourself.
just do what feels good to you, it's a personal choice, there is no rule book.
but if you call yourself a vegan, you are agreeing not to wear leather, you would be a vegetarian on a vegan diet probably.
when i turned more and more veggie, i decided not to buy anything leathery anymore... I wore my old shoes though, becaus ethrowing them away wouldn't help at all.
I gave all my leather jackets to friends, and right now i have some pairs of shoes left that i only wear on rare occasions, one leather belt that i never wear, and that's it.
I did buy a pair of custom made leather mocassins in guatamala some years ago, but that was from a small village shop who got his leather from a local, so i know it wasn't too bad...
none leather shoes are actually cheaper than leather ones, and are also better for the envirement, although the material itself is worse than leather for it, the way they process leather to make them into products worth of wearing makes it into very toxic waste indeed (just another opinion lightning, not a fact if you wish, becaus ei don't remember the source).

anyhow, just keep it light, don't go burning your past, make your own choices and you will feel good about it, whatever your choices are...

eric.

meditate eRic.

Delete

_pOp_

Playing OldSchool Poi

Posted:PS. seeing that you are from ireland:
most irish cheeses are vegetarian, no rennet used.
I used to buy "Doolin" for that reason.

eric.

meditate eRic.

Delete

onewheeldave
GOLD Member since Aug 2002

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3252
Posted:

pop, much as I agree with a lot of your views on this subject, and, much as I disagree with most of Lightnings; I think this: -

Written by: 'pOp'

oh man lightning, lighten up!!!!.......................

.............my friend from the MSN was right: you are a knob.

is a bit out of order.

I wouldn't like it if someone posted that about me, and I don't like to see it posted about anyone else here.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete

_pOp_

Playing OldSchool Poi

Posted:ok, you are right, so i edited that out now, but i do think he should lighten up, so i left that in (plus i like that play of words)...

eric.

(sorry to offend)

meditate eRic.

Delete

Twirly

Twirly

Shoryuken!

Total posts: 233
Posted:Oh dear, but now we know exactly what was said, as it's still in Daves post. Close your eyes, childs.

I'm hoping to become a vegan once I get to university, but I love cheese so much 0__o

I got given a leather wallet for my b-day and I use it, and will do until I invariably lose it, but I wouldn't replace it with another leather one.

And if you aren't in a light mood, nothing is going to compound that more effectivly than someone chirping up and saying "lighten up."

Davy

Delete

Henrik
GOLD Member since Jul 2004

Henrik

Total posts: 111
Posted:uhm... doesnt anyone of yas who call yourself "vegiterians" know the different diffenitions of a vegiterian?
not knowing what you are into, and claim to be yourself, NOT COOL.... excl

youre like the diet coke of evil. just one calorie, not evil enough.

Delete

_pOp_

Playing OldSchool Poi

Posted:rolleyes now what do we veg-i-tarians think of this...
did you read the whole topic? then you know that this IS one of the points of discussion. that "we" veg-e-tarians are sick of people mis-using the term, so that "we" have to explain ourselves everytime we want to eat outside our homes...
but hey, I understand, eleven pages is a lot to read through, but if you didn't read those, please don't post stupid remarks here.

eric.

meditate eRic.

Delete

Radzyn
SILVER Member since Mar 2004

Radzyn

HoP Star Wars Aficionado

Total posts: 183
Posted:Bah. *is omnivore*

~Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

Delete

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted:Written by: Henrik

uhm... doesnt anyone of yas who call yourself "vegiterians" know the different diffenitions of a vegiterian?
not knowing what you are into, and claim to be yourself, NOT COOL.... excl

Originally I wasn't going to post this, but since you've asked, the definition of vegetarian is, as far as I understand and believe:

Written by:
A vegetarian is someone living on a diet of grains, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits with or without the use of dairy products and eggs (preferably free-range).

A vegetarian does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish or crustacea, or slaughter by-products such as gelatine or animal fats.

from the Vegetarian Society site

Furthermore:

Written by:
Lacto-ovo-vegetarian. Eats both dairy products and eggs. This is the most common type of vegetarian diet.

Lacto-vegetarian. Eats dairy products but not eggs.
Vegan. Does not eat dairy products, eggs, or any other animal product.

Fruitarian. A type of vegan diet where very few processed or cooked foods are eaten. Consists mainly of raw fruit, grains and nuts. Fruitarians believe only plant foods that can be harvested without killing the plant should be eaten.

Macrobiotic. A diet followed for spiritual and philosophical reasons. Aims to maintain a balance between foods seen as ying (positive) or yang (negative). The diet progresses through ten levels, becoming increasingly restrictive. Not all levels are vegetarian, though each level gradually eliminates animal products. The highest levels eliminate fruit and vegetables, eventually reaching the level of a brown rice diet.

Other terms can be used in describing various vegetarian diets, though their exact meaning can differ. The term strict vegetarian may refer to a vegan diet, though in other cases it may simply mean a lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet. The terms common or broad vegetarian may be used to refer to lacto-ovo-vegetarians. Demi-vegetarian is a term sometimes used to describe persons who eat no or little meat but may eat fish. Persons consuming fish but no meat are sometimes called pescetarians.

I hope this clears up some misunderstandings, although if you, Henrik, or anyone else, have a different definition, I would be very interested to hear about it smile

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

Stone
GOLD Member since Jun 2001

Stream Entrant

Total posts: 2830
Posted:Thinks pOp should take his own advice, and chill.

If you dont use leather, you probably use some synthetic non-renewable plastic from the oil industry.

Would the real environmentalists please stand up.

but we vegetarians DO know that we life in the 21th century, as you have noticed we are the ones that live for the now, and don't go "we have canines to tear up flesh" crap. Now we HAVE a choice, and you'd be bloody ignorant to deny that and stick your head up your arse to deny the unnescesary suffering dealt to our fellow beings...

Mate, who do u think you are? Im against cruelty (un necessary suffering) just as much as anyone.

I also think it is absurd to deny we are omnivores, yet u come up with all these b/s arguments to justify your cause, even when u have been proved wrong many times. And its comments like you make (above) that put me off ever calling meself a vegetarian, even if I never ate meat again.

And if you live for now, then you dont live for the future. And, hey, we all got a choice. The world would be much better place if we all decided to never use our motor cars again.

angel

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Delete

Page: 1...7891011...18