Page: ...
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I've now been a vegetarian for almost 3 years. I originally became a vegetarian because I realized I was a meat addict. There are also environmental concerns. Ethical concerns are way down on my list since I find it gets confusing for me to strongly support animal research for medical applications while opposing using animals for food. Especially because I'm not vegan.

But the final decision happened, not coincidentally, on the first day of Gross Anatomy dissection lab. ubblol

So after 3 years of almost total abstinence from meat (I'll eat meat if there is no other feasable option), I think I'm pretty much de-addicted. The idea of eating a large steak is just not at all appetizing to me.

BUUUUT, this vegetarian business is getting very inconvenient. It makes people stress over where to go for dinner, or what to cook for me. Furthermore, it significantly limits what I can order at a restaurant, and I can't stand it when the only vegetarian options on a menu feature zucchini and mushrooms (two of my least favorite foods).

So I'm starting to debate whether to de-classify myself as a vegetarian and just carry on with life eating very little meat. And by "very little" I mean less than one serving of meat a week. Since my initial reasons were for health, I don't see how this small amount of meat (which, when consumed, will preferably be organic) would change my risk factors. And such miniscule meat consumption wouldn't have much environmental impact. Besides, I have an unfortunate tendency towards anemia.

What do you think?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Good on ya. Vegetarinasim was never something I could handle. God gave me K9s, so id figured id better use them.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Love your new status, FRD!

-Mike

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i thought i read somewhere that a small portion of meat (particularly red meat) a week was actually good for you. in which case, i think it would be good to "de-classify"

or you could always become one of those cheater vegetarians who don't consider seafood as meat ubblol (sorry, i just never understand that reasoning).

i don't eat meat very often myself, usually just cause i'm not in the mood or whatever. but i tend to anemia myself as well, which is why i don't think i'll ever cut out meat entirely from my diet. i eat healthily enough so i know a little meat here and there won't do much.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
See, the one cheat I had was that I love sushi. And fish is incredibly good for you, with all the omega-3's and stuff.

-Mike

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
What new status?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
If your not eating of meat is not due to moral animal rights type reasons then I don't see where the problem is in declassifying yourself and occasionally eating a bit of meat.

Personally I rarely eat meat, I don't touch red meat (can't stand the taste of it). Because my not eating meat isn't due to moral issues I've never felt the need to classify myself as a vegetarian (unless going away somewhere where they'll make me eat red meat if I don't), that way when I do get a craving for some meat or just fancy a change I don't have loads of people pulling me up on it.

Technically I should be aneamic but I guess I must just get iron else where (beer confused ) One thing I have found though is that despite not classifying myself as vegetarian people always assume I am, even people that don't know me well enough to know I tend to not eat meat. Strange that...

If you're happy with not being classified as a vegetarian then declassify, after all... it's not like you're suddenly going to rush out and eat steak every day just because you can as you no longer have a label that stops you! ubblol

One day i'll learn to resist gravity...

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I'm a veggie too... Two and a half years now. And I agree, after a while there is *no* attraction to meat. I don't find it appealing at all.

I do consider myself vegetarian, although I eat fish when it is made ('bout.... 2 times a month). But that's just because I live on the atlantic, and it's soooo good!

I have no morals, or animal rights things going on.. Just did it to see if I could.

I don't try to replace my iron or what not... I just eat what I like. And I'm healthy, and last blood test (december) I was in the middle for all counts of whatever they checked off (they did tests on stuff that us veggies seem to be deficcient in or something...)

I guess I'm a really bad vegetarian... I mean, last time I ate meat was last July, and it was because there were only hotdogs left to eat, and I was starving, in the middle of Newfoundalnd on a survival camp hike. I didn't want to starve. (Although the stomach pain may not have been worth it O_o')

As for inconviencies... I find ways around it so as not to distub other people. When going out to resturaunts, just a salad, or even just an apatizer (went to SwissChalet -- a chicken resturaunt -- and had the apatizer of perogies... yum!), and when going to someone's for dinner, just say that I'll have everything that's in the meal other than the meat. It normally works out just fine, and most of the time with going to someone's for dinner, if you just comment on your veggieness, they normally go and get a little something just for you smile

It's all good ^_^

The choice is really up to you, whether you think it's for health, or just for convienience. But I don't think it's *completely* neccessairy.

hughughug

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
I think Mr Lightning dear, that you should eat what keeps you in the most healthiest condition. Being anemic you would find it harder to stick to a strick vegetarian lifestyle (which it seems you dont anyway wink ) and as ethical reasons are not your primary concern for becoming a vegetarian, then why not just 'stop' being a vegetarian.

I know several people that are 'mostly' vegan, because whilst they eat only vegan foodstuffs at home, they are aware of the difficulty it presents when at others houses and out at restaurants. So when they are out they occasionally eat vegetarian food, rather than strict vegan. These people dont call them selves vegan, because that is a complete lifestyle choice, one that they cannot maintain when not cooking for themselves all the time. So they call themselves vegetarian.

I say: Eat what you need to keep you healthy and well, and why bother giving it a name or having to classify it? It would seem you have already made the choice within yourself

ubblove

Currently on the right side up of the world.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Spanner

Could you please clear up a couple of things for me, Lightning? I'm very confused...

So, how are you vegetarian if you've been eating meat? ubblol

I haven't been consuming meat. If I am at a restaurant and NOTHING on the menu is vegetarian (and I've been at restaurants like that) and it's too late to leave, then I will have to order because I will not, under any circumstances, make my vegetarianism cause an inconvenience or discomfort to others.

I have no use for vegetarians who try to make meat-eaters feel guilty and try to lord it over everyone how superior for their vegetarianism.

-Mike

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
'allo all!!

thought i better stick my two cents in here. ubblol

i've been vegetarian for nearly 5 years now...shite! that's a long time! and as someone said, i know people who claim they are vego but eat fish or chicken or turkey! somehow white meat is not meat!? ubbloco sheesh!! as my friend liz once wrote in a cook book she gave me - 'remember not to eat anything with face!'. works for me! and my best friend's fiance was vego for years, then suddenly decided he would like to eat meat again...and it's as if he never stopped! each to their own i say. but PLEASE don't claim to be vegetarian if you eat the flesh of any animal!

clearly i've had a few beerchug...

my point is, if you want to eat meat - do so! if you don't - for moral/ethical, health or taste reasons - then don't! i personally think it's disgusting that a restaurant have NO vego options - seriously!! pasta is not that hard a dish to make! and no it doesn't need mince in it! most restaurants in my area have at least one option - even the brekky creek hotel (BIG steak place) has vegetarian lasagne on the menu!

i don't try to lord it over my friends that i don't eat meat. i try to quietly find a compromise...which never involves making the meat eaters feel guilty, nor does it end in my eating animals. i usually end up ordering a couple of entrees as a main if i'm out. or i just have salad if at someone's house. or, as is often the case here in oz, if it's a bbq, i bring my vege burgers or not dogs, prewrapped in foil!

play nice ppls...!

peace

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I'm kinda with you Mike, I eat very little meat. I wouldn't class myself as a vegetarian because sometimes I tuck in, but mostly I don't want to.

GeorgeB has been veggie since she was 5 (yes, FIVE years old be her own choice! eek) so living with her has helped me to reduce my intake even further than it was before. And my insides feel much better for it although it did make me put on some weight.
But from eating so little meat I now find that red meat is very hard for me to process, goes through me like lard through a goose to give it an analogy! White meat is ok inside me tho, much more compatible.

I do wish that I was veggie soemtimes as I think it's quite unnatural for humans to eat meat. Infact we started out as vegans by nature, herbivours if you will, and it's only because our anatomy is so damned versitile and adaptable that we've become able to eat meat. My eyes have been opened alot in the past few years too, I'd never have beleived previously that sweets, cheeses, crips (potato chips) and all sorts of other foods have dead animal in them. It does seem rather pointless to me. But I was raised on meat and my body is conditioned, I've tried to overcome it but ultimately it's like addiction and at least every coupe of weeks I have to get a fix.

I went to barcelona in January and you just can't be vegetarian while you eat out there. The restaurants just don't accomodate for it at all.

I also can't stand the "I'm a vegetarian but I eat fish/chicken/sea food" thing. I find it quite ignorant. If you only eat seafood and not other meat you're pescatarian, not vegetarian. whole different bag of dice.

I don't like the stress people seem to have when you all eat out either. The seem to be either 1) they're entertaining and worry about getting meat in the food or buyingthe wrong thing or 2) if you're all going out for vegetarian they thin they won't like it, but they always enjoy it as it's just as tasty as anything else!! It's not all bean feasts, bread and salad!!

I think you should try to NOT classify yourself Mike, apart from being a Mike hug Don't get hung up on it, just tell folk you don't want to eat meat and like you say, if you're forced to eat meat by a limited menu then choose something that you like! smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: L i g h t n i n g

Could you please clear up a couple of things for me, Lightning? I'm very confused...

So, how are you vegetarian if you've been eating meat? ubblol

I haven't been consuming meat. If I am at a restaurant and NOTHING on the menu is vegetarian (and I've been at restaurants like that) and it's too late to leave, then I will have to order because I will not, under any circumstances, make my vegetarianism cause an inconvenience or discomfort to others.

I have no use for vegetarians who try to make meat-eaters feel guilty and try to lord it over everyone how superior for their vegetarianism.

I used to be vegan, now I'm almost vegetarian. The reason I'm not calling myself a vegetarian is because I have the odd fish finger.

The definition of a vegetarian is one who eats NO meat.

So Mike

(I'll eat meat if there is no other feasable option)

you're not a vegetarian.

If you want to eat a bit of meat that's fine, from most of the veggies posting on this thread it's clear that none of them object to you eating meat, but to call yourself a vegetarian is a misue of the term.

If a vegetarian is in a resteraunt and faced with the fact that there's no not meat option, then they'll not eat.

And rightly so, in this day and age where vegetarianism is embraced by a very substantial minority of the population, it's a bit shoddy if a resteraunt doesn't cater for them.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
There's a word i heard for 'vegetarians' that eat chicken and fish... I'm pretty sure it begins with a V but I'm not sure what it is... or if it exists... can anyone clear it up for me?

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: GottaLoveIt

There's a word i heard for 'vegetarians' that eat chicken and fish... I'm pretty sure it begins with a V but I'm not sure what it is... or if it exists... can anyone clear it up for me?

Yep, Vacillator! wink ubbloco ubbloco

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Ya monké!
spank

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
What are the environmental concerns about meat?

I've heard one about how arable farming is supposedly more environmentally friendly, which is countered by the argument that you simply cannot force grazing land like Wales, Yorkshire, central Australia and pretty much all New Zealand to grow anything other than scrub and heather.

Is that the only one?

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

You and OrangeBobo consider yourselves vegetarian. From what I've read so far, you both rarely eat meat and OrangeBobo eats seafood. Although I don't believe your diets are vegetarian, I've got no problem with you both considering yourselves to be as such.

I think I'm fair to call myself a vegetarian if I only eat meat once or twice a year in the rare situation in which I absolutely find myself forced to. For example, I go to someone's house and they serve meat, unaware that I am a vegetarian. I will not embarrass my host by refusing to eat it.

I think that when 99.9% of your diet is vegetarian, it's fair to call yourself a vegetarian.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, there is an "official" word for "vegetarians" who eat fish. "Pescavegetarians." I prefer to think of them as non-red meat and non-fowl eaters.

I think at some point, it becomes snooty for people to tell me I'm not a "real" vegetarianism because my specific rules for my diet differ from theirs. I know many vegetarians who have "dire emergency" exception clauses in their diets. I don't consider them any less vegetarian because they aren't willing to die for the cause or harm others in the process. In fact, I consider that to be more vegetarian, to have a diet where AS FEW AS POSSIBLE people OR animals are harmed in the process.

-Mike

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ditto

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
So Lightning, has any of this helped you with deciding on whether or not you're going to declassify yourself and just carry on life very rarely eating meat?

One day i'll learn to resist gravity...

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
*gets squashed*

Hmm, well now I have things to think about....

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
there's not a lot more I can add to the thread which hasn't been said already

Like flynt I know many people who are either almost vegetarian or almost vegan. I approach it purely from a moral point of view (although I have noticed a big improvement in well being and health which would be a factor in ever switching back), so as far as I'm concerned anything in the right direction is better than nothing. If you are mostly vegetarian but eat meat/fish everynow and then, then that's better than someone who does nothing. I don't understand people who say they beleive in something, but then just give up and don't do it at all.

As for eating out/round other people's, I do it for the company and a pleasent atmosphere, not to have food. If I go to someone's house then I bring something for myself that can go in the oven with no hassle, with a bit to share if anyone wants something. I know a lot of people who invite people round for meals want you to taste their food, which can be a problem if they insist on making you something, but I normally try to talk them down by getting them to agree to making me a salad or aide dish which we can all eat with our meals. Its especially easy if it's a bbq, cause I can just bring a cheap disposible with me. For eating out, well, I usually eat before I go out, then have what ever's on offer. If that's a couple of side salads then fine, as I say I'm just doing it for the company not the food. Sometimes if i know there's nothing then I meet the people after the meal in the pub etc - at my age a lot of people are skint and choose not to have the meal part of the evening anyway. It's really easy to work yourself up and others around you if you don't take the laid back approach and put into context why you're there.

Convinience wise, being vegetarian is pretty easy in the UK, vegan is in cities. But whatever you eat really, if you're willing to buy raw ingrediants and cook from scratch then it's not a problem. We're far too used to being ready made/cooked food to reheat these days, but in the several million years before 1950 things were quite different. If I'm going out and I don't think i'll be able to get anything, I try and take something with me to munch on, it works out a lot cheaper too than eating something half the size and 3 times the price that hasn't seen daylight in months.

As far as classification goes, I don't really care about labels. I certainly didn't become vegetarian for that, let alone vegan. The only time I have problem with it is when it gets really confusing, if people say they are something they are not then at the last minute magically change their mind "oh well, I eat kebabs when I'm drunk sometimes". Other than that, people can call themselves what ever makes them happy. being happy in yourself, whether you do it for health, or abstinence of something you beleive strongly against, is what it's all about at the end of the day anyway, isn't it?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
yay! its the annual HoP thread on vegetarianism!

ive changed my eating habits pretty drastically since i moved out of home. i mainly eat vegetarian - usually because its simply so much more convenient, and so much cheaper..

randomly aside, i just heard the strangest lyrics on the radio..."sheep go to heaven goats go to hell"... just thought youd like to know...

but usually at the end of the week, i just have the urge to eat a large piece of cow, cooked for about 2 minutes either side.

my hippy friends reason the only possible reason i can do this and actually enjoy it, is because im an insensitive selfish compassionless bastard. who know? they might be right. they arrived at this conclusion because ive even visited an abotiour [sp?] and wasnt particularly revulsed. but then again, most of these guys would faint at the mere sight of a needle, whereas i happily donate blood regularly... maybe its because im not particularly squeamish.

i wouldnt rule out becoming a vegetarian in the future, but i look at the option now, and cant really see any reason why i need to change at the moment. heartless bastard? quite possibly....

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You say "Heartless Bastard" like it's a bad thing...

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ha!
maybe i feel bad about feeling good about eating meat. taking this further, maybe i feel good about feeling bad about feeling good about it.

not really sure. i think ive confused myself there. the true nerds will spot where i stole that quote from.

is it better to know that perhaps your doing something you shouldnt, but not care, or is it better to live in ignorance?

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
I think personally everyone has the right to eat whatever food product they like, providing it isnt an endangered species or something....

My family hunt deer and kangaroos and eat them. This is how I was raised, and I don't have a problem with them doing that. Heck, I lived in a shed with a deer carcass for over a fortnight once.... Not a particularaly pleasant experience, but not the worst I've had.

Vegetarians might be a bit pedantic about 'classification' of the word, as it makes it much harder for us to access purely vegetarian foods if they are incorrectly labelled. I've had many a time someone try to sell me thai green curry paste with shrimp paste and fish sauce (both of which obviously involve dead animal product) and insist they were vegetarian.

The last time I ate somethign like that, I was horrified. It made ME sick to think that my right to eat within a certain genre was abused by deception or MisLabelling. That's why I think it is neccessary that the word Vegetarian mean someone who does not eat any dead animal product, and Vegan mean someone who does not eat (or wear) any animal product at all.

Just My Opinion.

Currently on the right side up of the world.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Mmmmmm...baby seal...

-Mike

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
baby seal is good but an adult seal keeps the water out better wink

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:

Mmmmmm...baby seal...

Seal clubbing... the other Canadian National Sport! ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco

N.B. Only dead wood was used in the clubbing of any of the above. No live shrubbery was used to flail the wee pups. wink

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
bring me a shrubbery! ubbloco

sorry, couldn't resist!! NI!

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Page: ...