Page: ......
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I've now been a vegetarian for almost 3 years. I originally became a vegetarian because I realized I was a meat addict. There are also environmental concerns. Ethical concerns are way down on my list since I find it gets confusing for me to strongly support animal research for medical applications while opposing using animals for food. Especially because I'm not vegan.

But the final decision happened, not coincidentally, on the first day of Gross Anatomy dissection lab. ubblol

So after 3 years of almost total abstinence from meat (I'll eat meat if there is no other feasable option), I think I'm pretty much de-addicted. The idea of eating a large steak is just not at all appetizing to me.

BUUUUT, this vegetarian business is getting very inconvenient. It makes people stress over where to go for dinner, or what to cook for me. Furthermore, it significantly limits what I can order at a restaurant, and I can't stand it when the only vegetarian options on a menu feature zucchini and mushrooms (two of my least favorite foods).

So I'm starting to debate whether to de-classify myself as a vegetarian and just carry on with life eating very little meat. And by "very little" I mean less than one serving of meat a week. Since my initial reasons were for health, I don't see how this small amount of meat (which, when consumed, will preferably be organic) would change my risk factors. And such miniscule meat consumption wouldn't have much environmental impact. Besides, I have an unfortunate tendency towards anemia.

What do you think?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

HenrikGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
please... were you not the one saying how you hated other people saying they were vegiterians when they ate fish?

youre like the diet coke of evil. just one calorie, not evil enough.

CrazyHippyChickSILVER Member
errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
i used the word hate but didnt actually mean it! What i was trying to put accross but admitedly didnt do very well was.... Some peeps preach animals rights and how imoral they find it to eat animals whilst in the same breath admit to eat chicken, fish or watever their preference might be. I personally find this hypocritical as surely if you value animals enough not to eat them this should go accross the whole board.

I'll come back as fire and burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ashes on the ground.
I could write the new bridget jones diary only mine would be more bizarre, funnier, dirtier more unbelievabe and bloody true!

HenrikGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
I just reed an old message from you saying that you are a "strict veggie" and that you don eat anything yaddayadda... well hopefully you know what you wrote... smile
but I do claim that you are NO VEGITERIAN... (becasue of your earlier statments) you are a vegan and there is a big difference between a Vegan and a vegiterian......

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
also........... someone else made a light hearted comment about my !!!! being extreme i then replied in a light hearted way hoping that the subject wouldnt turn into a bitching session like it has. Yet again the subject was brought back to hate by a certain someone. Yes im responsible for using a word i should have and really didnt mean in the way it come accross but others on here need to take responsiblity for the way they reacted at least i only typed the word and didnt start a bitching session full of HATE!!!!

I'll come back as fire and burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ashes on the ground.
I could write the new bridget jones diary only mine would be more bizarre, funnier, dirtier more unbelievabe and bloody true!

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
listen darlin i am not a vegan i eat dairly product minus cheeses etc that have animals in them

HenrikGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
please. we are discussing. the whole idea of a discusion is to lay out your thoughts and discuss them with others. and from there its a progress unless you try beeing way cool and only saying "you are wrong".

Sorry if youve taken me as a "bitch", but I think its wrong that people use terms that they dont really stand for.

And sorry eric for beeing a bit of a bitch 2 you 2. but as I said, I do NOT like it when people goes to attack when they dont know anything about what they stand for?.

My message was not full of "HATE".

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
you are the one doing the attacking. as for what i stand for i dont have to justify that to anyone but my own heart. maybe you should read the definitions again darlin as vegans definatly dont eat eggs and cheese.

HenrikGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
"Darlin", maybe you shouldnt attack persons who are vegiterians?

Sry if ive missed that you eat eggs and cheese. then you are a vegiterian.
i still thinks its wrong of you saying that you disliked people syaing theyere vegiterians when they eat fish. Just as wrong as it would be if I said that it was wrong that you didnt eat meat.

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
yawns

HenrikGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
thats the best comeback ever! did you make that one up yourself?

aparently, some people here cannot discuss..
thats about it. you can all pick on eachother from now on.

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
pfffffft.

and i used the term strict vegetarian too.
BECAUSE other claim to be, but aren't vegetarians.
that's why.
I'm th esame as hippychick as far as i can see from here.
I eat no dead animal parts, no rennet, no coloring, etc.
I do sometimes drink yoghurt, thus no vegan, but veggie.

people shouldn't climb onto horses too high.

eric.

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
Oy. What a lot of silly nonsense. People attacking each other for things they didn't even say, or meant a different way, when a little tiny bit of "No, you misunderstand, I meant X" would have gone a long way...courtesy. Remember courtesy?

Now, I expect, I'll get a flood of "It wasn't me, it was so-and-so" and "but he said this" and "well, she started it." Not to mention "Who the hell do you think you are, Xopher?" Well, I'm just me. Just a newbie at poi, but rather experienced at written communication. I know that a) it's important when joking in writing to mark what you say clearly as a joke, and b) when someone else says something outlandish, to consider the possibility that s/he was joking. Also to read carefully before replying.

I think this conversation has pretty well degenerated. Anybody have anything useful, interesting OR civil to say?

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Wasn't me. I eat anything i can get. Flesh, veggies, you name it.

But i don't have anything useful to say I'm afraid.

I used to be a veggie for about 2 years when i was younger. Then i was homeless for a bit and someone offered to buy me a burger. Hunger beats principle every time.

Spread the love. devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mags The Jedi

Wasn't me. I eat anything i can get. Flesh, veggies, you name it.

eek you eat veggies?!!!

* runs away and hides in a corner...

meditate eRic.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*going after pOp with a fork and knife*

I don't want to hurt ya...I just wanna eat ya! ubblol

-Mike

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
ubblol finally some lightheartednes in this thread,
I was about to ask a mod to stop this.

now i gotta make me some food, but i have a new problem:
I just did shopping, and the total amout of my food came up to 6,66 euro.
with 666 being the number of the beast: should i eat it or not?

eric (hungry).

meditate eRic.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thank you pOp for finally admitting the truth:

pOp said:

we come up with these arguments just to give a counter argument...
we are getting attacked for making a moral choice by being asked "why do we have canines then?". so we tell a counter theory (yes a theory, because there are no facts, seeing as there are no time machines..) and there is no way how either of us can prove the other wrong.
but that was never our discussion. ours is just a moral stance.

As you say, you ignore the facts and make up stories.

That has always been the bone of contention.
smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by 'pOp'

meditate eRic.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
pOp, I forgot to say that if your time machines is broken, try a trip to the museum wink

I would say that arguments on the moral issue also lack some creditability, because we have domesticated animals for thousands of years and we use animals for our pleasure and amusement; as pets, beasts of burden and food. I wonder how many vegetarians have a moggie, for example.

Animals don’t have a soul or a conscience, and in the real world a carnivore would eat you before you could say vegetarian. I also asked the one about fish. I think it has something to do with them being cold blooded.

The one about the motor car was a general comment

edited
EDITED_BY: Stone (1089509125)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by 'pOp'

meditate eRic.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
This otherwise excellent, interesting and informative thread is being ruined by pointless squabbling.

After a bit of lightheartedness, which was a good opportunity for the sniping to end, Stone had to have a go at pop.

pOp, by reacting to something that could have been ignored, ensured the cycle is set in motion again.

It's a good thread, I'm not the only one to express dissatisfaction with the squabbling; if it continues it will be the latest in a long line of good threads that get locked by moderators because of the actions of a few.

Can you please either just cut the squabbling, or sort it out amongst yourselves via pm where the rest of us don't have to witness it.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: 'pOp'

now i gotta make me some food, but i have a new problem:
I just did shopping, and the total amout of my food came up to 6,66 euro.
with 666 being the number of the beast: should i eat it or not?

Ever see "Doom Generation?" Great movie if you're into cultish-B films.

-Mike

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
ok, you are right. I'll delete my last 2 entries, those after the 666 bit.

please Stone: can you do the same?

just to be clear though: I don't dislike people who eat meat,

but I'd appriciate it if you didn't do so while having diner with me.

I only don't like it when i have to explain myself in a restaurant.

so if you eat any kind of dead animal: please don't call yourself a veggie.

(oh yeah: I did eat the diner, I'm still alive and not a lesser vegetarian

because i figured that the number of a beast wouldn't be the same as eating

the beast itself, now would it wink).

eric.

meditate eRic.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Excuse me! I don’t think the thread has been ruined by me squabbling, and I certainly don’t think the thread should be locked. In fact, I often wonder at the motives of people when they start threatening thread closure, as it seems a bit extreme to me. I did take offence at what was said about knowledge and knobs, as I thought those particular comments were below the belt, and this may have tainted a few posts. I will modify some comments that may seem discourteous.

(Sole)Sparkfixerupera of strangness maximus
147 posts

Posted:
well i may possibly cop alot of criticism over my view but meat its da bomb :P i mean humans are omnivores we are made to eat meat so if it runs chace it and eat it.

yay up to 5 beat weave only 4 more to get to 9 :P

HenrikGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
Well, the main reason (as ive come across) why people become vegiterians or vegans is because they are offensed by the way for example stock animals (is that the right word?) like cows etc are beeing treated.
Chickens with small cadges yadda yadda and so on.

I have never heard a vegiterian look down on a human eating meat when that was his only option for living.
as in hunting for your own food, and using every part of the killed animal for non profit things. with me?

I cannot talk for every vegiterian OR vegan.
this is my opinion based on what ive came across disussing with friends and alot of uhm.. i really dont know this word in english.. militant vegans?? (they are the ones who goes out and burn famrs and setting cows free and all of that...:P)

(Sole)Sparkfixerupera of strangness maximus
147 posts

Posted:
i cant say i blame them
buring stuff is mad biggrin

yay up to 5 beat weave only 4 more to get to 9 :P

HenrikGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
haha good one!.. i didnt see that one myself! biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
hmmm, it kinda sounds weird to say: but I actually agree with henrik for a change biggrin....

it's like I said in the deleted post: I (and most vegetarians with me) don't go wild if somebody wants to eat meat, we'd appriciate it when you don't when you have diner with us, but hey, it's everybody's own chice. on my run to the chipper at work yesterday (I work at a music-venue, so a lot of night shifts) I even got collegues some hamburgers.

and yes, if I had to (stranded after a plane crash or whatever other disaster), I would eat meat, preferably my fellow humans hug, to survive. but now I'm not stranded I have a choice (weird how the word "choice" seems to re-appear in this thread), so I don't need to and won't eat it.

meditate eRic.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
pOp, it's that word "choice" that I think is important.

There are a few things in this world that drive me nuts, and sanctimoniousness is one of them. I have no use for vegetarians who make faces when others eat meat, who berate and lecture meat-eaters, and who generally make obnoxious arses of themselves about their diets.

As a vegetarian, I was always happy to discuss it with someone if asked (generally "I became a vegetarian on the first day of Gross Anatomy" stopped that discussion ubblol ). I always reassured people not to apologize for eating meat in front of me and stressed that my decision was a personal choice.

IMHO, being militant about vegetarianism and trying to convert everyone is no better than what Jerry Falwell or the other nutty Southern Baptists do with their religion.

-Mike

Page: ......