Page: ......
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I've now been a vegetarian for almost 3 years. I originally became a vegetarian because I realized I was a meat addict. There are also environmental concerns. Ethical concerns are way down on my list since I find it gets confusing for me to strongly support animal research for medical applications while opposing using animals for food. Especially because I'm not vegan.

But the final decision happened, not coincidentally, on the first day of Gross Anatomy dissection lab. ubblol

So after 3 years of almost total abstinence from meat (I'll eat meat if there is no other feasable option), I think I'm pretty much de-addicted. The idea of eating a large steak is just not at all appetizing to me.

BUUUUT, this vegetarian business is getting very inconvenient. It makes people stress over where to go for dinner, or what to cook for me. Furthermore, it significantly limits what I can order at a restaurant, and I can't stand it when the only vegetarian options on a menu feature zucchini and mushrooms (two of my least favorite foods).

So I'm starting to debate whether to de-classify myself as a vegetarian and just carry on with life eating very little meat. And by "very little" I mean less than one serving of meat a week. Since my initial reasons were for health, I don't see how this small amount of meat (which, when consumed, will preferably be organic) would change my risk factors. And such miniscule meat consumption wouldn't have much environmental impact. Besides, I have an unfortunate tendency towards anemia.

What do you think?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

CrazyHippyChickSILVER Member
errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
no i dont hate people for what they eat. i just get annoyed at i luv animals how can u eat them. oh but i eat fish cos they dont count!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrr

I'll come back as fire and burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ashes on the ground.
I could write the new bridget jones diary only mine would be more bizarre, funnier, dirtier more unbelievabe and bloody true!

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
its not extreme!!!!!!

I'll come back as fire and burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ashes on the ground.
I could write the new bridget jones diary only mine would be more bizarre, funnier, dirtier more unbelievabe and bloody true!

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
8 exclamation marks in a row isn't extreme?

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
not by my standards darlin wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Hate is always extreme.

-Mike

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
wonders why everyone is taking one word soooooooooo out of context!!!!!!

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
help

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
do you count snails hippy chick? what about sea slugs?

and what about mushrooms?

what about jelly fishes?

josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
im strict veggie. I dont eat anything that an animal has been killed for including any kind of animal fats etc. Neither do i use any products that have been tested on animals. I just feel that if you are vegatarian for animal rights reasons then it is hipocritical to eat any animal in any form. I just dont see how people can see it immoral to eat one but acceptable to eat another. Whats the difference they have all been killed for the convienience of humans?

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: Josh

do you count snails hippy chick? what about sea slugs?

and what about mushrooms?

what about jelly fishes?

josh

isn't the plural of jellyfish jellyfish tongue

* runs & hides *

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
oh and mushrooms are fine especially magic ones wink
hee hee

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
giggles at jelly fishes

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Hippiechick, do you wear leather? Do you use medicine if you get sick?

-Mike

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
oh man lightning, lighten up!!!!

you act as if you own all the knowledge in the world...

yours is JUST an opinion too, you know. copied from others.

let me answer your question:

I don't wear leather at all, no belts, shoes, coats, guitar straps, anything.

I try not to take medication, and if so I take medicinal plants.

in the worst case i will take aspirins, but not from certain manufacturers, like BAYER, who experimemted on concentration-camp jews and never even appologised for it yet!!!!

and it's all a matter of choice still: if you have a choice, take the right one, but we vegetarians DO know that we life in the 21th century, as you have noticed we are the ones that live for the now, and don't go "we have canines to tear up flesh" crap. Now we HAVE a choice, and you'd be bloody ignorant to deny that and stick your head up your arse to deny the unnescesary suffering dealt to our fellow beings...

eric.
EDITED_BY: 'pOp' (1089305108)

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
ok, since we're back on the subject of "what constitutes are TRUE vegetarian or vegan".....

i've been trying out a vegan diet again for the past couple of weeks (shortly after this thread started actually. some of the posts in this thread made me stop and think about my reasons for becoming a vegetarian in the first place)

the only dairy products i eat are butter & cheese. i'll really miss the cheese, that's why at this stage i'm "trying it out" as opposed to "becoming a vegan".

the thing is, right now most of my shoes, belts etc, ARE made from leather. i have no intention of replacing these with vegan footwear, clothing etc right now, as i simply can't afford it. but it may be something i would consider in the future

my question is, are vegans opposed to buying leather goods fullstop? or how do you feel about secondhand goods, like for example a leather handbag bought from a charity shop (there are probably better examples but that's the first one that comes to mind)

just interested..... smile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
that is something that you have to decide for yourself.
just do what feels good to you, it's a personal choice, there is no rule book.
but if you call yourself a vegan, you are agreeing not to wear leather, you would be a vegetarian on a vegan diet probably.
when i turned more and more veggie, i decided not to buy anything leathery anymore... I wore my old shoes though, becaus ethrowing them away wouldn't help at all.
I gave all my leather jackets to friends, and right now i have some pairs of shoes left that i only wear on rare occasions, one leather belt that i never wear, and that's it.
I did buy a pair of custom made leather mocassins in guatamala some years ago, but that was from a small village shop who got his leather from a local, so i know it wasn't too bad...
none leather shoes are actually cheaper than leather ones, and are also better for the envirement, although the material itself is worse than leather for it, the way they process leather to make them into products worth of wearing makes it into very toxic waste indeed (just another opinion lightning, not a fact if you wish, becaus ei don't remember the source).

anyhow, just keep it light, don't go burning your past, make your own choices and you will feel good about it, whatever your choices are...

eric.

meditate eRic.

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
PS. seeing that you are from ireland:
most irish cheeses are vegetarian, no rennet used.
I used to buy "Doolin" for that reason.

eric.

meditate eRic.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

pop, much as I agree with a lot of your views on this subject, and, much as I disagree with most of Lightnings; I think this: -

Written by: 'pOp'

oh man lightning, lighten up!!!!.......................

.............my friend from the MSN was right: you are a knob.

is a bit out of order.

I wouldn't like it if someone posted that about me, and I don't like to see it posted about anyone else here.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
ok, you are right, so i edited that out now, but i do think he should lighten up, so i left that in (plus i like that play of words)...

eric.

(sorry to offend)

meditate eRic.

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Oh dear, but now we know exactly what was said, as it's still in Daves post. Close your eyes, childs.

I'm hoping to become a vegan once I get to university, but I love cheese so much 0__o

I got given a leather wallet for my b-day and I use it, and will do until I invariably lose it, but I wouldn't replace it with another leather one.

And if you aren't in a light mood, nothing is going to compound that more effectivly than someone chirping up and saying "lighten up."

Davy

HenrikGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
uhm... doesnt anyone of yas who call yourself "vegiterians" know the different diffenitions of a vegiterian?
not knowing what you are into, and claim to be yourself, NOT COOL.... excl

youre like the diet coke of evil. just one calorie, not evil enough.

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
rolleyes now what do we veg-i-tarians think of this...
did you read the whole topic? then you know that this IS one of the points of discussion. that "we" veg-e-tarians are sick of people mis-using the term, so that "we" have to explain ourselves everytime we want to eat outside our homes...
but hey, I understand, eleven pages is a lot to read through, but if you didn't read those, please don't post stupid remarks here.

eric.

meditate eRic.

RadzynSILVER Member
HoP Star Wars Aficionado
183 posts

Posted:
Bah. *is omnivore*

~Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thinks pOp should take his own advice, and chill.

If you don’t use leather, you probably use some synthetic “non-renewable” plastic from the oil industry.

Would the real environmentalists please stand up.

………but we vegetarians DO know that we life in the 21th century, as you have noticed we are the ones that live for the now, and don't go "we have canines to tear up flesh" crap. Now we HAVE a choice, and you'd be bloody ignorant to deny that and stick your head up your arse to deny the unnescesary suffering dealt to our fellow beings...

Mate, who do u think you are? I’m against cruelty (un necessary suffering) just as much as anyone.

I also think it is absurd to deny we are omnivores, yet u come up with all these b/s arguments to justify your cause, even when u have been proved wrong many times. And its comments like you make (above) that put me off ever calling meself a vegetarian, even if I never ate meat again.

And if you live for now, then you don’t live for the future. And, hey, we all got a choice. The world would be much better place if we all decided to never use our motor cars again.

angel

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
i have no motorcar, i use public transport...

and the future IS now..

eric.

meditate eRic.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
The motor car was a general comment.

I think it would be easy for some people to think that some of the argument are about proving who the best vegetarian, rather than vegetarianism itself.

edited
EDITED_BY: Stone (1089508946)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
ok stone,

not that i need to be right all the time, but i do think you are wrong.

you were the one accusing me of living in a bubble:

Written by: Stone

If you don’t use leather, you probably use some synthetic “non-renewable” plastic from the oil industry.

Would the real environmentalists please stand up.

I wrote a simple reply to someone who wanted to know if he had to give up buying leather for the sake of being a vegetarian, and told him NOT to never buy leather again, but to do what feels good for him, I didn't take a hard stand against the leather industry.

but I did tell him about the plastics, but added the less known fact that leather for shoes is actually 'just as bad' for the environment.

and because the word "you" is used, I must presume that you are attacking me on this, so if you must know: I don't wear those plasticy things, there are also materials like cotton, hemp, etc. you know?

I also think it is absurd to deny we are omnivores, yet u come up with all these b/s arguments to justify your cause, even when u have been proved wrong many times.

please read!!!!!

"we" come up with these arguments just to give a counter argument...

we are getting attacked for making a moral choice by being asked "why do we have canines then?". so we tell a counter theory (yes a theory, because there are no facts, seeing as there are no timemachines..) and there is no way how either of us can prove the other wrong.

but that was never our discussion. ours is just a moral stance.

And if you live for now, then you don’t live for the future. And, hey, we all got a choice. The world would be much better place if we all decided to never use our motor cars again.

so it doesn't mean that we stick our head in the sand for the future, actually (and this IS a fact:) with less meat consumption, the future of the world would be brighter, because we would be cutting down less forests.

and because your post started as a direct remark to me, I just assumed that you meant me as well in the motorcar sense, so I replied by saying that I don't drive one if I have a choice. (yes I do have a driver's licence). so I take the train.

eric.

meditate eRic.

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
lightning no i dont wear leather id be contradicting my own bloody argument if i did. For god sake chill out i didnt realise it was against hop rules to have opinions and beleifs and if i dare voice them id have sumone try to catch me out geeeezz

HenrikGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
Eric, i would like to say up yours for saying that im lazy and post stupid remarks, but since we've agreed 2 act nice in forums, so im not gonna. smile

Spanner thank you for the information about different types of a vegiterian.

Now Eric, the thing i reacted on the most was when this "yaddasumthing-Chicken" was angry at people, well actually she used the word "hated", when they claimed theirself of beeing vegiterians whilst still eating fish for example.

Reading Spanners message, you come about the word "Demi-Vegiterian"... Now as said, a demi-vegiterian may eat no meat at all, or some fish. (read Spanners message)
Where tha hell in the word "demivegiterian" is "vegiterian" beeing lost?!?!?!?
Isnt the Demivegiterian still a vegiterian?!?!?!

I think the word this "chickenchickwhatever" was looking for was "Vegan".
A Vegan does not eat anything from the animal kingdom.
And not knowing if your a vegiterian or a vegan is a big deal..
now eric, are you a vegan or a vegiterian. and do atleast you know what your "group" stands for?
please I dont need a massive reply saying "oh you are stupid, you eat meat, you dont know this and that" yadda yadda yadda.
Do you agree with me that it IS important 2 know what you claim 2 be, when you go out pickin on others?

/Henrik

youre like the diet coke of evil. just one calorie, not evil enough.

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
in pops defence.......... no one was arguing who was the best vegetarian and pop wasnt the one who started getting personal and questioning indivuals

Page: ......