Forums > Social Discussion > new layout! good...or.....not so good??

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ok I looked around but I couldn't find a thread for opinions on the current reincarnation of our beloved home...HoP V umpteen.twelvety...and if there is one just point it out to me I'm a bit blind in my old age!!

So whaddya all think? Personally...here's my IMO:

It's BRILLIANT!!! Big thanks to all who have been involved in the change!

except...

Most important this for me.....what's with that big list of stuff on the side?? It takes up valuable post/rading space and now everything goes off my screen and I have a bar at the bottom that has to go back and forth to read a post frown Also isn't itinformation that folks don't really read very often? More a Home Page info thing than a community thread thing. Could some of the popular links be moved to the top and the rest moved to the home page or an info page or something?

Also, ubbangel is no where near as cute as the old one and as Rossco said to me it actually looks stoned! this ubblove also doesn't look as lovely as the old love icon either. And the ubbrollsmile looks like it's been smacked around a bit and is recovering from it's injuries!

Apart from that TOP JOB GUYS! (AND GIRLS) Even my own special ice blue colour came up and I was suitably smiling when I saw that!! You really are darlings aren't you!!

TTFN!!

hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I agree! I love it! And the layout isn't really all that different; just a few new bells and whistles.

And a couple of bugs that will get ironed out, I'm sure, in the coming days.

And then there's a custom bug...he'll never get ironed out.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
i know cos he's custom made for this site.. he even spins fire! how many bugs do you get that do dat? my high school bug didn't

I am the only one here who will understand this post... ah well

ubbrollsmile

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i agree about the menu on the side. a 'without frames button' or sommint would be perfect smile

other than that. cool wink

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
well i prefer more reading room, but at the same time, i really hope the side bar stops some of the "how do you....?" posts and make them actually look first.

i'm loving the new site. like lightning said, aside from the few bugs that i'm sure will get ironed out, it's fantabulous! i LOVE all the new features like the new gallery and the calendar and the threaded PMs again. i miss my old cheesy smilie tho frown this one biggrin just doesn't fit right for me.

oh, and most importantly......I CAN GET INTO MY INTRO THREAD AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
where's the spank emoticon gone? i just noticed! It comes out as this spank

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
oh...hang on it's working now!! Typical! Retract the last post with haste! rolleyes

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
uh, looks like a spank to me?

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
LOL

**giggles**

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
The new site looks amazing!

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I agree with custom about the side navigation bar, I'd prefer those links to be on the home page and not using up my screen space (or possibly have them but with a movable edge so they can be shunted off).

I like the 'quick reply' box as we can now reply to the thread rather than only to individual posts.

---EDIT---

forget that last bit, the 'quick reply' actually seems to refer to the previous post confused frown
EDITED_BY: onewheeldave (1085690718)

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
that's probably just a bug Dave. No doubt will be sorted soon aswell as.......

.......if Mods/Admin are rading this BIG THANKS for the threaded PM's but they don't seem to show up once you hit the reply button...and could we have this quick reply thing on PM's too it's a very good idea.

And something else I've just noticed the threaded PM seem to be coming in the wrong order...ie they're all over the place!!

Phew we're giving you some work to do eh....but we do appreciate it so here's a cake and a cup of tea to give you lots of energy while programming all the stuff we want

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: Custom Bug (1085692104)

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I like the 'Quick Reply' Op.

Great job HOP! beerchug

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I don't see the quick reply button ^_^

Most browsers have the option to turn off frames. It does mess things up a little, but its somewhat easier than making a no frames version of the site, let alone linking too it.

The sidebar is a great idea, I totally respect it and want to see it (or something like it) continue to exist. A slightly less boxy version might help people... i.e. just using bold/underline or something to break up the catagories and making it one large frame. These are *relatively* small details tho... and there may even be a better way to deal with it that I am not aware of.

However, I have to say the overall page change I am not a huge fan of. The color scheme is fine... I adore it, altho I'm not sure I like the change from classic HoP. There is a lot to be said for the old campy style, and I'm not sure it should have been given up. However, in part its important to see what new visitors think, and they wont remmeber that. That is also very much a personal choice.

Something I think should be noted tho, is the general look. I mean no offense to whoever did the design, but it looks like a web design program was grabbed and a template was filled in. Whether or not this actually happened, anyone who is familiar with web design (either at a professional or amatuer level) is likely going to see this. Its a bit of a turn off :/

Even those who don't have this familiarity, it is not obvious whats different about this website. Its just... a face in a sea of faces :/

Best,

K.

PS the sigs continue onto the last line of the post in preview ^_^

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
quick reply is at the bottom of the page kyrian smile

**giggles**

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ohhh....

I was looking for a button. so the window for text entry didn;t so much register.... :/

Me thinks me has been programing a touch to much today tongue

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Wow - it'll take some getting used to - but good job folks

Can you tell me why I have to scroll across my screen to read everything - I can't see the whole page on the screen - I have to scross across to see who posted, then again to see what's written, and again across somemore....

Do I need to reconfigure something on my computer?

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Neat!!! I love the quick reply function it's very handy.

All looking rather schmick, but I'll add my voice to Ade's on the 'having to scroll accross to read' thingo... slightly a pain. I'm sure I'll get used to it tho.

EDIT: Just fixed it, by chaning number of text rows accross... Who knew? HANDY! xoxoxox Malcolm and Mods, you are all stars ubblove
EDITED_BY: Flynt (1085699027)

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Vestiamember
47 posts

Posted:
i like it, im just seeing it now. it's denfintly different umm

*Vestia enters the world of poi not knowing what to do*

*smiles and than starting thinking i never know what i'm doing*

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
In general I quite like the new layout, but I do have some issues with it...

- I don't like the stuff at the side, but it doesn't really bother me. I don't ever use any of those links, though

- The picture at the top left looks a bit out of place
- In the dropdown menu bit under it, the words don't fit in the boxes (I guess that's cos I'm using mozilla)
- The dropdowns now work properly smile, but again the words don't fit in the boxes frown
- *something* on the page is grabbing keyboard input, so to close a window I have to hit Ctrl-W lots of times, instead of just once. Strange confused
- I can't read where it says "Community" in black on a dark background...

Most of these are just nitpicking/suggestions, and overall the new layout is nice.

The new *functionality* rocks, though, quick reply threaded PMs, dropdowns that work, nice one! The only thing I miss is the bit at the top where it said who's online...

Cheers for the good work!

monkeys ate my brain

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I have no problem with the site I love it..!

The only thing I need to ask is about the pics that were in our old gallerys... I cant find mine... and um.. I dont have copys of some of them... confused

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I Love the new layout.

Absoltuely brilliant.

But I have two points in which I am not so happy with (not very big points mind you):
1. The boards don't fit on the screen properly.
2. Where are my photos???????????? My photo album has diappeared!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yum! tasty header!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

fraggleSILVER Member
94 posts

Posted:
it sure is purtty

dance your cares away
worries for another day
so let the music play
down in fragle rock

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
i just think having the side bar even on the forums makes the site a little difficult to read. perhaps if they shortened the left margin on the forums so that there wasn't 3 inches of blankness on the left side of the screen it would be better

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I have found an error.

If you follow the menu from free lessons and choose videos, instead of taking you to the video page it dumps you into the gallery instead.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm I'm not too keen on the loss of pictures or the page not fitting my screen. But other than that I think it looks a feels great (that's a compliment coming from a bird that's crap with pooters and stuff).

Ohh ohh ohh spell check ubbrollsmile

Tis all good.

Lisa
X ubbrollsmile

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
I like it. I've found its a lot slower though and the little graemlins don't move anymore - they are frozen. I liked them! Apart from that it looks a lot better... clap clap

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I love how the calendar automatically puts up your birthday after you have selceted in in "my home"

That was subtle hint.

Actually...i like the new calendar in general.

What do you mean we didnt have a calender before? eek

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
Written by: Jez

I have found an error.

If you follow the menu from free lessons and choose videos, instead of taking you to the video page it dumps you into the gallery instead.

actually i don't think that's an error. we can now upload videos into our gallery. and since it is kinda considered "free lessons" it makes sense to go there

**giggles**

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ok this is bugging me now....when I'm at work I get the sweet old angel and love and rollsmile but when I'm at home I get the pants new ones?? How could this be?

Page: