Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
well, if i don't get the money for college, i'm gonna work until i have enough money to move...

neways, i've thought a lot about oz, and it still looks like one of teh better choices... sooooooo
I'm opening up this as kind of a "what's good about australia nad what do i need to know/ take into consideration if i move there?"

thanks guys!

p.s. tell me what part ur from wouldya? thanks.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I want to see you Cass!!!! *runs up and hugs her* If i don't make it to Europe, you haev to come to Oz, k? Oh, and can you drag my brothers?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Airsick Mothmember
26 posts

Posted:
Ha Arsn, u may be a brizzy boy in melbourne but the sence of style does not include playboy shirts and other items of clothing i shall not mention.

Ah who am I kidding. Your playboy shirt is cool i want it.

As for pimping out melbourne, (i can cause ive been to the US, i have a vague idea of what is better) food is great, people are great, u dun have to give tips much (unless u really feel like it) public transport is a bitch but we love it and everyone is close.

Plus they love anyone with an accent.
Plus our dollar is worth crap to yours.

come to melbourne!~

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Just in case it makes a difference... Australians now are allowed to have dual citizenship in all cases which meens they don't lose the Aus passport if they get another one, and vice versa if a foreigner get's an Aussie passport. So this notice is also useful for Aussies with foreign parentage. Get a pommy passport from your pommy parents, work anywhere in the EU for as long as you want, no restrictions (Greek Islands, French ski resorts) then happily come back to Aus when you get sick of it.
Where in Aus then? Don't forget the western half of the continent, and don't forget it's a continent too, not just the whole Sydney vs Melbourne thing. Big cities are big cities when you get down to it. Nowhere has perfect weather all the time. Perth has about 6 months with hardly a break in the sunny days, then in winter it'll bucket down for a while. Sydney and Melbourne get at least a bit of rain all year. In the tropical north (Broome, Darwin, Cairns) it rains all summer then almost never in winter. It's all perspective really, tell us some likes dislikes. And don't forget that an opinion is only that. I've lived in Perth for about 20 years of my life and only recently discovered a wicked outdoor rave scene just last year.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Sorry for disrupting your thread Kyrian darling, but since so many aussies read that may I ask something :

I will only have about 1 month in OZ next year (march apparently). I was planning on doing Sidney (visit Frenzie, etc...), Brisbane (gotta see Bec and Moon Pixie ) and Darwin + kakadu (forget alice springs, ain't got the crazy money it takes ) + do some WOOFING.
Big cities when you've got nowhere to crash are really expensive, aren't they ? Maybe i am mistaken ?
What other places do you guys recommend (bear in mind my limited time and the fact taht I don't want to do a japanese tourist "thing"). That would be the month of March, so are there particular parties I don't want to miss ?

Hope my sister does not mind too much my asking... could be usefull to you to, right darling ? Would be so geat to see you in OZ

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Yeay! Cassandra

You could stay with us Beautiful!

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
of course it's useful cass! and ur quite welcome.

my reaosn for picking a big city (besides being a bit at home in them) is public transportation and lots of people/jobs (hopefully? you can tell me about job availibility...)

of course, there is perth, which no one has said much about.... i think i'm just being biased tworads melbourne right now..... but i'm still willing to at least listen to what you have to say

playboy shirts huh? lol!!

my friend had a cuet one

neways, lieks and dislikes..... tell me about oz....

I need halfway decent public transportation...
Likes beaches, rivers, cities, parties, good sandwhich shops (I won't try to guess what you call them... i call them subs...)

chances for outdoor work are cool

sunshine is important
as long as i see it a bit each dya or at least every other day i should be ok

I liek weather between 60 and 90 degrees farenheit... sorry, i cna't figure out what that is in celcius this early in teh morning...

mor ewilling to deal with hot weather than cold, but my fav weather is 65-75

somewhere nearby to go to school would be cool too

and parks or something liek it are a must

that's all i can think about

and cass, i'll make sure to let you know where i'm gonan be

chances are if i move i might haev to wait to get a little more money, and then i might wait past xmas (when ur here by nyc) and then try and HoP to the gathering in nz on my way in, if i cna get teh money..... we shall see....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Hey Cass,

would love to have you out here. And if you are ever lost for a place to stay in a city where I am, you are welcome to call on me

It can be quite expensive out here, but the network of backpacker hostels is really great, and people are generally very friendly. You can also get coach passes that let you do a fair bit of travel.

If you ever need anyone to search out facts & ideas for trip planning, drop me a line.

Oh, & with the long distance relationship thing (yes, I know I am taking this back off topic ). It is just so weird that everyone I talk to at the moment seems to be involved with someone who lives in at least a different town, if not a different country. The current bf is 900kms away, so that is why I get excitable about seeing him. Well, he hates Sydney, & I am not really sure about living in Brisbane, so the compromise is to live in Melbourne (we met each other in Adelaide, so we have Perth, Launceston & Darwin to go)

[ 13 May 2002, 00:42: Message edited by: Rozi ]

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

4,224 posts

Posted:
thanks sister
So i guess I'll see you in the coming few months ? YAY !!!!

hugs to Moon Pixie and Bec (and the puppy of course ) thanks for the offer, Isure will visit you

Rozi ::hug:: will drop you a line soon, thanks for offering to give me a few ideas

What about March ? What kind of parties / locations etc ... ?

Smooches and hugs

shine on
cassandra

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
March is a great time of year to come, especially next year, & especially in Sydney. It is the 24th Mardi Gras, which should be a lot of fun:

WHEN: SATURDAY 2 MARCH 2002
TIME: 8.00PM
PRICE: FREE

For the past couple of years I have been in the parade, and you are welcome to join in.

& that is just the beginning...

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Why go and watch it when you can sit at home, and change the chanels whens you see a bunch of midgets wearing gay elf cloths pranceing around and jumping on each others backs...

Kyrian, Don't listen to Airsick... I'll be talking to her... Let's say she likes to ... swim with the fishies.... Don't ya Airsick... you like to go to the beach... ya freak... THE WATERS TOO COLD...

Tranport IS good... I don't know what transport you take, but the stuff I get, gets me there... and at times I go with you guys... sigh...

And as for the food... mmmm. mars bars in batter.... great now I have to go get one...

But Kyrian, me and Airsick don't normally bicker like this... it's just because she's in the wrong and dosen't know what shes talking about... like normal...

FREE TROLLEYMANIA...

[ 13 May 2002, 11:09: Message edited by: Arsn ]

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Why go & watch it when you can be in it, and have many thousands of people cheering you on, wanting to hug you, and smiling as you attempt to dance the final leg-killing metres to the finish line!!!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
children......

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
As Audax said Perth has great weather it only gets really cold for about 3 months of the year here and rains for about 4 months.

Perth's got some of the best beaches in Oz (and i have seen lots of Ozzie beaches)

Everyone always forgets about the West Coast. We got everything the East has just smaller. Which is a good thing! and way better weather then Melbourne

*ducks her head in case the Melbournians start throwing things in her direction*

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
well, i will do a weather check when classes get over

in teh states we haev a saying "west coast is teh best coast".... of course, i can't say taht around here for fear or being strung up on some Harvard statue or sumtin, but still

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Airsick Mothmember
26 posts

Posted:
*Raises one eyebrow at Arsn hoping that he will ram his head into the window again*

I should slap you again... lol...
And my head really hurt when you dropped me.

Hehehe, we fight dirty.

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
As Kyrian & Cass are flying from so far away, don't forget to ask about deals with bonus internal flights. I've heard of a deal someone got were they added 50GBP (about $135) to a flight to Aus that got them any flight within Aus which they used on Cairns to Perth, normally around $650. If you're not here very long, you don't want to spend days on a coach.
I used to be a backpackers travel agent, and I'm willing to act as free down under advice for HOP members! On the condition that someone twirls with me.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

4,224 posts

Posted:
LOL ! Audax, i'll be with a RTWorl ticket actually which includes stops in OZ. So Far I have not completely made up my mind yet as to where exactly. But I'd twirl with you anytime
Shine on
Cass

poppymember
15 posts

Posted:
audax, you said nowhere has perfect weather all year round. i actually want to challenge that one. i suppose everyone's idea of perfect weather is different but i think brisbane has the most perfect weather of all cities in australia. it's almost winter now but we are still having beautiful warm weather. most of the year is hot or a lovely warm temp where jumpers still aren't really needed. winter's are so mild, they are great.

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Actually there's a place in East Africa that has temps between 18-23C all year, light sea breezes and practically no storms, and humidity always between 30-70% with hardly any rain. But Bris-vegas does come close to it within Oz. A bit rainy for me though, being subtropical and getting rain throughout the year. Does rain ever get in the way of gatherings there? It would be a shame to wait all month for moon-fest then get rained out (in?)

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

poppymember
15 posts

Posted:
i haven't actually been to moonfest or any other gatherings. i'v only been twirling for a few months and still shy of meeting others... so i can't really say. but i don't really notice it to rain that often.. i think each area of brisbane gets slightly different weather. i live on the south side and most of the storms and rain pass round us and hit the northern and western suburbs.
all i ever seem to notice is beautiful, hot days. perhaps i am biassed but every time i go travelling overseas or elsewhere in oz, i then come home and appreciate how amazing the weather is in bris.. i came home last november from the uk, and up until about 3 weeks ago, few days have been below 30 degrees, and i'v probably only seen about 10 rainy days. so, i'm pretty happy with that.

Page: