Forums > Social Chat > An exercise on sllep deprivation

Login/Join to Participate

lollipurple penguin- soon to be
478 posts
Location: playing with the pixies at the arsse end of the mi...

Posted:
this july im going to be part of a crew for an ameture documentary production .
we're doing a documentary named " an exercise on sleep deprivation", where we have (10 out of) 16 volenteers who are not going to sleep for 7 days, with the help of pure caffene products and legal highs. the thing is we're taking them all round london so their not just stuck in one place and we want to give a series of daily challanges to test their deteriation ( we have a psycologist and sociologist for this). my question is . . do you have any ideas as to what we can do for the tests or places to go within the 7 days?. let me know
lolli ( more info; opiate.i8.com) x

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
damn, seven days!!! who in their right mind would volunteer to do that. thats just to much.

make em play chess, that should be fun after 7 days no sleep.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Don't forget no stimulants like coffee (if it truly is one), sports drinks or pictionary!

(hee hee hee)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Oh that's the most horrid thing! I can't imagine being that tierd! oh the grumpiness

But possibly the meanest thing you could do to them is like set up all these comfy cusions and blankets and really soft matresses and stuff in a room and make 'em stay in there... imagine how frustrating that would be! (my morrals don't agree with what I've just said... Napps Rule!... Not ennough sleep is what makes people grumpy and horrable.... I think that's how wars start... People who just haven't had ennough sleep....)

trails off into that nice cozy place between sleep and consciousness...

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
did you know you can die faster from lack of REM sleep than not eating.

and moon pixie-thats just horrible. these people are volunteering to stay up for 7 days and you wand them to be taunted, for shame.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by masterna:
did you know you can die faster from lack of REM sleep than not eating.
Indeed, once, lack of REM sleep almost killed off the entire crew of the Enterprise D! Damn Tyken's rifts..

Did you know that proper (tweakin'!) sleep deprivation rewards the victim with proper 'shit-that-isn't-there-at-all' hallucinations that are so real ya point them out! better than just the 'trippy visuals' you get with psychedelics.

there are some HILARIOUS stories from bluelight aboot it!
quote:
Anywho I

go into the kitchen to make some coffe and for some reason I happen to look out the window

and up at the stars in the sky..BIG MISTAKE..It seems that Venus was really bright that

night(of course i did not know this at the time)
So Iam at the window for like an hour and I have convinced myself that the star is a

spaceship moving closer and closer to earth in fact they were moving closer and closer to

Santa Clara (where I was) I started to lose my shit completly so i go into the romm wake up

my bf tell him we have to go and like right now because the fucking martians are on there

way and will arrive in like 5 hours(I knew this from tracking them 4 1 hour) hes like what

the fuck??You need to go to sleep and I'm like hell no I need to get out of this city as far

away as possible...I start to pack in a mad frenzy throwing all that I loved into a

suitcase(Pictures money letters and of course my dope) hes looking at me like what the hell

and then he says the most awful think t me he says.."If they are coming theres no where you

can hide they will be able to find you no matter what"..Well ok new panic hes totally

correct iam like of course they will find me they must be stopped before all of the earth is

distroyed..
So back to the living room and I notice talk radio is still on heres my chance to warn the

world and get someone to do something about this so I call KGO radio and I tell the guy who

answers that the martians are coming and he must warn the listners...
that story soo gets worse....

[ 09 May 2002, 13:47: Message edited by: Bender_the_Offender ]

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Hi, I don't want to sound boring but i really think that most importantly, apart from a psychologist and a sociologist, you'll need a real doctor for this. It's quite important that these people undergo examination a few times a day (especially towards the end of the 7 days)...
I also think it's important that they see the doctor, BEFORE they actually go through with this; although the word 'volunteers' might sound appealing, you will probably still be responsible if something happens to anyone, unless you take all reasonable measures to prevent that from happening, explain the risks clearly etc etc
I'm sure you know all these already, but I thought I'd point it out anyway
As for places to go etc I think that won't be necessary after the first three-four days - i'm just guessing here but i don't think anyone will last much more than that, even with the help of safe dosage of any legal substance.
You could of course probably manage to keep them awake by other means (very loud sounds, pushing them around and other horrible things) but they'd probably collapse at the end of the day; and if they didn't, they'd probably just (literally) go insane. I could be in for a surprise of course, but not anyone can survive 7 days of no sleep...
As for tests you can provide them with, there are plenty of tests out there already, depending on what you are after - if it's a scientific documentary there are proper tests, a bit like the IQ ones, that you can use... make sure there are some really really elementary questions, they'll probably need them after day 3!
If it's a documentary for fun, then just give them tasks like undoing the bra of a woman in 1 minute or something or undoing the buttons of a man's shirt etc
This whole thing sounds quite interesting; at the same time I'm slightly worried - let us know how it goes...
I'm off to bed now - catch you later!
Simos

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Try to keep a couple of the tests constant over the period of time, for "scientific" value. But for entertainment value, throw in some different ones each day. You could even find out if there has been any research done on sleep deprivation, that says something like - "after 2 days, motor coordination is affected" then devise a test to go on the second day and test it.

The more I write the more I agree with Simos, you need to have a doctor nearby.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
hmm, i really don't think anyone will be able to stay up for that long. I've have had friends that have used "illegal substances" to stay awake for, at most maybe 4-5 days, but then no matter how much they take their body just say no and fall asleep anyways.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
hmmm... i don't know... sounds like a documentary of our fire circus on the road, to me... minus the legalities, of course... any self respecting rockstar would know what i mean...7 days tho? even with whiskey involved, i can only go for four...five with lots of boody thrown in... we always throw in lots of loud music, if possible, followed by dancing and lots of sushi.. things that get those hallucinations going are always fun, like karaoke and fat doobies, or tree climbing, or fire dancing...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

478 posts

Posted:
hey, thanx for the . .interesting response. simos, we have a medic on our crew and most of us are trained in first aid, also our sponsers have an emergancy call out if needed.

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

478 posts

Posted:
hey, thanx for the . .interesting response. simos, we have a medic on our crew and most of us are trained in first aid, also our sponsers have an emergancy call out if needed.
what youve got to remeber is, we're not going to say no you cant sleep, it isnt compulsory, they can quit at anytime, its actually better that way to then ask them the reasons why some people can continue and some cant, what are the affecting factors. although its an amature production, we're making sure we've covered everything.
the chess is a really good idea i know after a few wasted nights trying to play turns into a real battlefield. we were also going to get them to do the blocks test (you know bang shaped blocks into same shaped holes, and although we dont want to torture them too much, its alot more fun to think of ways even if we dont put them to practise

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
if u need any more volunteers, i'm well up for it. dunno how long i'd be able to hold up, but its something ive always wanted to try, but for some reason or another never actually done.

May your staff spin fast and your poi always miss your balls.

478 posts

Posted:
hey the beard
yeah i think we do still need acouple of people. if you want to apply, or want more infomation go to
www.opiate.i8.com
and see what you think
lolli x

Trickymember
33 posts

Posted:
Just had a look at the website and have e-mailed to address on the site.

I wanna have a go
I wanna have a go
I wanna have a go
I wanna have a go
I wanna have a go
I wanna have a go
I wanna have a go

I managed about 92 hours just on beer when I was 16. Was pretty knackered, but I reckon 7 days is possible with stimulants.

TrickySmile at a stranger!

Fairy Ladymember
63 posts

Posted:
Ok this is a poi site so I gotta say it. Teach them like the basic at the side swing and maybe the butterfly on the first day and then test them each day, it also might be a fun toy to play with when they get a little wiggy, I know it helps to focus me sometimes when I go a little too far on with the rum and doobies. and hey it cool be cool if they start to halucinate to! I would just really like to see this when your done, I have friends that stay up for a few days at a time and I think seven would be hallarious!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I have sleep aponea so I know what those people will be going through... people dont realise how important sleep truley is until you CANT sleep.. oh god... Ive fallen asleep in the car at the traffic lights before from my sleep aponea and there are people out there who are gonna voluntarily do this? BUGGER!!!!!

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
and yes bender, I did know about speed based hallucinations. I had a period in my life where I had a problem with the shit and had those quite a bit for about 4 months straight. god I'm glad to be off that shit.

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
y not b REALLY cruel and feed em coffee at the start, but then switch it for DECAFF partway, THEN when they have gotten over the caffeine addiction - switch it for mega high caffeine coffee or expresso!

I did this in the staffrooom at skool and boy is it great to watch that caffein kick in the second time round!!!

478 posts

Posted:
lol gruff, one of our sponsors is caffinate.com and they're supplying us with a load of pure caffine powder, tee hee so your plan could well be done.

Bouncemember
37 posts

Posted:
Just to throw in my experience, after 2 days of no sleep, due to leaving uni assignments until the last minute - I managed to convince myself that the policeman who lived in the flat opposite mine was actually living there to keep a tab on me and any illegal fun I might be partaking in on the weekends. Sounds ridiculous i know, but I genuinely believed that, until I got some sleep. I guess stress had alot to do with it, but it's amazing what you can convince yourself of when you're sleep deprived...from all kinds of delerium, to freaked out paranoia.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Hey lolli, I'm glad you have it all under control
...just a thought; especially now that you have some volunteers from this BB, why not make them swing their Poi every day and see when they start not being able to do the weave etc?
Simos