Forums > Social Chat > Colorguard tryouts tommorrow!

Login/Join to Participate

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
EEK! What should I expect? A big "Oh my god!" came through my mind when I found out... and my lacking of staff skills is going to KILL me.

Any ideas on how I should prepare?

B I G
MACHO Thanks to everyone

[ 08 May 2002, 17:06: Message edited by: Kinudin ]

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
ummm this may sound corny, but... practice...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Tashamember
21 posts

Posted:
I was captain of color guard one year, and what I would look for in people trying out was that they were quick learners and had good cordination, if someone didnt have experiance with a staff I was looking to see that they were going to pick it up quick. Attitude was also something I would look at, with all the hours we would spend together it was important that everyone would get along. Last I know this sounds kinda dumb but dont forget to smile alot.

So show them that you have a good attitude and your willing to really dedicate yourself and work hard to learn and you should have no problem making it even without the staff experiance.

I've had people ask me if I were shipwrecked on a deserted island, and could only have one book, what would it be? I always say 'How to Build a Boat.'

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
umm might sound like a stupid question but what is a colour guard??

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
oh good luck!

i know at my school they had always looked for people who smiled a lot and picked their flags up really really quickly adn didn't look upset by dropping them. and the truth is, even out captains didn't seem to be able to hang onto them a lot... but that's a different story. They also like it usually if you look like you can follow a beat, but they don't always ask you to do stuff to music during tryouts, it kinda depends.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

1,325 posts

Posted:
Woot. Just like poi, I picked up the flag-staff thingy almost perfectly i'm the second guy on the "team" (haven't been selected yet... that comes on friday). Today we basicly worked on the dance moves to "Brittney Spears - I'm a slave for you", tosses and single/double time. Pretty simple stuff.

If everything goes like this, SWEEET! then it should be easy =)

*runs around passing candy out*

Kinudin

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
?????????

Um, I second the question.... What's a colour guard

????????

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I have another question,

Britney Spears, why?!!!

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

1,325 posts

Posted:
Beats me Rozi. I'm not in the position to suggest another song though seeing as I was one day late on the tryouts. It's only the first 15 seconds though. So we're blessed with the privledge to turn it off right when the words start out

Colorguard I guess from what I've seen is the group of people that is in front of marching bands during parades. I've never been as "into" colorguard as I am now so that's about what I can tell you.

(Tryouts again today! *cheers*)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
basically they are a bunch of flag twirlers that dance with the band. they're pretty cool sometimes, but a lot of teh tiem they arn't that good
they haev seperate competitiosn sometiems (wintergaurd) and they always have some sort of costume or uniform, often differnet form teh band. our colorguard also did some dancing adn stuff in the stands (dancing in a loose sense).

does that help?

hoep the spelling isn't too bad!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Tashamember
21 posts

Posted:
Kyrian, you make us sound like such loosers!
The team I belonged to was one of the top teams in California, but we practiced four hours every day and held 8 hour practices on weekends to be like that. We never had to dance in the stands though, Thank god hehehehehe

I've had people ask me if I were shipwrecked on a deserted island, and could only have one book, what would it be? I always say 'How to Build a Boat.'

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
lol sorry MI and CT don't seem to haev such a lot of good ones.... eesh, you guys soudn like our drumline, no life during the season...

i really honestly didn't mean to be condescending. i'm thrilled for Kinudin. It's just i hope he is on a good squad!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Tashamember
21 posts

Posted:
Its ok I only really said something to give you a hard time anyways

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
uh huh, well, that makes sense.

Thanks.

1,325 posts

Posted:

I made color guard!!

Yay and stuff =) I'm the only guy on the team of 15. (there are 14 girls that is, and I'm the only guy. Yes, i'm a guy ) This was seriously making me nervous all day!!

Kinudin
P.S

Thank you all!!!
*runs around passing out candy to the whole board*

Tashamember
21 posts

Posted:
CONGRATULATIONS!

1,325 posts

Posted:
^_^ 6 hours later and I'm still on a rush

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
Congratulations and thanks for the candy!

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
congrats

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah