Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Triple b-fly/ttn combos (basic version)

Login/Join to Participate

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
This has more than likely been covered to death but with the poi forum stagnating right now, i thought it best to share something.

This is the most basic version of a combo iv been working on for afew years, but most people can/do it and its not hard to pick up and also the amount of variations and timing is amazing. Ok starting from the most basic hopfully wink ending up with some tricky ttn combos. (The version im about to describe i have on video, so if your real confused, dont be scared to pm me for a copy.)

Assuming you already know b-fly and maybee ttn (not essential yet),

*This basic version only covers front wall plane, btb (behind the back)and bth (behind the head)* no side on wall plane required till well later.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basic's
(This is all done in reverse for now, later we'll go into forward)

Ok for starters (1)you should begin at reverse butterfly in front wall plane.
Next (2)from the above, go into bth reverse butterfly. (make sure its reverse!)
then back to (1)
Now (3)go into btb reverse butterfly. (make sure its reverse!)
then back to (1). Easy huh...once you have that you can double up on rotations ie 2 in front, 2 bth, and 2 btb. Or more what ever turns you on wink
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now the real fun begins...once you split you poi up u can make up your own time for whatever your feeling smile Im usually doing 6:8 time that changes randomly but for this post ill describe standard split time.

*Exactly same as above but split.*

Start at reverse butterfly again... but instead of pulling both behind the head just do 1 poi bth and keep the other circling in front. Now switch hands so ie left hand is bth and right hand is infront. (untill u can do that at will)
Now before the poi in front can go bth make it go btb instead, at the same time the poi that was bth should be coming back round to the front.

Now u can have a 3 way combo (NOT A 3WAY!!! wink keep your eye on the ball.

Spliting the poi in whatever time u love.. 1 going bth and 1 going infront, and then switching 1 going btb and 1 infront untill u can cream it and do 1 bth and the other btb. Woohoo if you can do that your on you way to advanced 6way combo.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok 1 last variation (for now) is keep 1 hand doing reverse circle's in front while the other goes bth and straight into btb and then as it comes back to make butterfly, make your other hand do the bth, btb thing while that hand keeps doing circles infront.

Now the world is yours, you can do that in forward instead and ttn it as well. Going a little harder u can do btb rev butterfly and keep 1 hand there while doing the other 2 moves of the combo and back into btb ttn for the better spinners here would be no problem. (enjoy till i can make a decent update, or finish the 6combo on video)

Keeping in mind your dancing round flawlessly like liquid moving your hips and shaking your "thang" wink ubblol

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
nice stuff. ive been working on some interesting butterfly stuff. just thought id post cos generally on these forums i just lurk and read and lurk read

food for thought this certainly is

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
These are the greatest words of wisdom I have seen posted here in a long time.

Dragon7 said "Keeping in mind your dancing round flawlessly like liquid moving your hips and shaking your "thang""

In regards to the butterfly stuff. I have a name for that type of movement. Unfortunatly, the only descriptive phrase, in American English, involves the use of profanity. "F@#in up the Buterfly"

What it means it, do every possible movement you can, from a butterfly. Twist your arms around your head, behind your back, between your legs. Keep that butterfly seperated though, don't have your wrists together for most of it. Keep your hands on opposite sides of the body (front back left right high low) for much of it. And only for brief moments do your poi actually do a traditional butterfly.... if at all.

Dragon, I think you forgot to put emphasis on high/low hug one hand goes hig, or it goes low.

You can deffinitly go from high to low and around your head, all while staying behind the back. etc.

Basically it is sort of random stuff.

Good post Dragon. smile

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I actually have something relevent to post here..

I've been playing with split (seperated) BTL butterflies...

basic- start with a reverse butterfly, seperate and bring one behind you.. for example purposes lets say the right.. now make the right poi come to the front BTL, and the left poi go to the back BTL.. they shoudl make a loop on their nrew side and then pass back out.. as they come out switch sides.. now the left poi should come through from the back whiel the right poi goes in from the front..

key things to keep in mind..
1) straight planes.. you don't nee dthem perfect.. jsut straight.. this will keep them from crossing in the middle..
2) keep your hand near its respective leg.. this should help cut down again on crashes when the poi cross BTL

oh yeah.. and I refer to this as btl rather then UTL because its more of a wall plane thing then a side plane thing so it works more between the legs rather han under one or the other..

I don't know how it looks, but its fun to practice.. and it has its uses..

variation- do it same time side planed.. what this does is it puts one coming in from the back and one coming in from the front and they both go to a side.. for example.. I can have my right arm come up form behind loop out to the right or left side.. I can have my left arm pass from the fron and go to that same side.. thus making a butterfly on the left or the right side with each arm on a differnt side of the leg..

may more variation- combination of the two.. puts the left arm coming in from the front and making a loop on the right side while the right comes in from the back and makes a loop on the left side.. and switch and what not..

hope someone else finds them as amusing as I do.. beware though.. if you don't work a lot under and around the legs then your lower back may hurt after a little while.. but I'm a nutrally low spinner so this kinda comes to me better then over the head..

oh and one final thing is this dissertation.. the combo you talk about.. also looks really good when you alternate between 3 points.. over head, at the shoulder and then at the waist.. thus getting a high, medium, low effect.. althought my shoulder stuff isn't clean (because I don't like hitting my head so I rather jsut avoid it all lol) but you can get it over the shoulder clean near the neck where it makes a butterfly rather then most peoples shoudler stuff shichs is kinda seperated... both look eqaully cool imo, but some people are more sticklers for perfection then others..

peace
weavesmiley

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Hmmm that blt would be pretty hard to seperate...ill give it a shot...but i have a feeling you would have to be nearly squating, which could take away a little of the "effect" the spliting gives. Which to me is the purpose of these combos (effects). In saying that there are good things and skill coming outta every move. Maybe just 1 hand btl added to the combo would work ubbidea

The main point of this combo is that most of the time they are split and on occasions they make b-fly, and as you progress it sort of becomes like a flower variating.

Arg where did i put that video...u want a copy Rev?

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I alwaystake videos.. I form sort of a collection since I don't really have a lot.. it'd be best to reach me on a messenger.. revtheraver (aol) raver4202000 (yahoo) phramulo@hotmail.com (msn)

as far as the stuff I listed above.. the last one invovles a little bit of a squat (I'd say less then 30 degree bend..) but mostly bending over.. but I guess that depends on your body style and comfort with the area.. because the only thing that I find really requires any extensive bending is something like this:

take right hand.. bring btb.. bring btl from btbt.. and then while in front have it go back around to the right back..

that takes squatting.. but believe it or not all this stuff can be done quite fluidly..

the first thing I listed can be done barely bending over.. the second requires a little more bend and the last requires a little squat with the bend.. but it gives you options..

and I hate to side track.. but this was the lead in for other things I want to do.. like take a btb butterfly btl to in front.. that requires squatting (because the hands have to come in the knee joint) and if you bend over a simple neck wrap will take you back out..

to further sidetrack... this kinda merged with the under hyperloop and airwraps that I was doing.. (ie. take the right hand, birng btb, bring utl, connect with left for an sirwrap, pass aiwrap btl, turn maitaingin airwrap behind, pulll left from utl.. )

which then equating into around weaving.. but I'll wait an explain around weaving a little better when I've talked to some more people and found out 1) if it has any other names and 2) if not what it should be called since its a whole realm in itself.. but suffice to say that I've stopped all my tanlge playing *gasp* to play mroe with this.. which like the above, sounds needless complicated but damn it looks cool when fluid..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
*cough* ill add the clip soon

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Here is the small video clip, slow mo for easy viewing. Most basic of splitting b-fly. Hopefull get off my @ss 1 day and put out something better.

Untill then, take, rip, add and remove moves and make it your own.

For all the newbs biggrin basic 3 way split b-flys Please right click and save target as. TY. ubbangel

I should have done side on/ inverted and more forward variations but at the time i couldnt be bothered...and with all these legends pulling out 25bt ttn weave and wot not, i thought it would be better to have a thread about basics. Tho i do have it in reverse on fire, but thats not much help when you cant really see the indepth movement at nightime.
EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1091538320)

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I'm doing an awful lot of split-time TTN stuff at the moment - butterfly weave, lots of going in and out of straight-arm TTNs while turning, high/low transitions, BTH stuff and so on. Learning how to keep opposite direction stuff properly split-time throughout takes a fair amount of practise is has to be said.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
And very nice they were looking too! biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Awww redface ubblove

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Learning how to keep opposite direction stuff properly split-time throughout takes a fair amount of practise is has to be said.

Yea but anyone can do simple ones, and they really helped me work out different moves, they build skill so other moves just dont seem so hard any more biggrin that and they are super fun ubbangel

And Durbs! That avatar is SICK! What do u call that? Kamehameha?!? ubblol Looks b@dass. beerchug

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the vid Dragon, it's good smile

ike the colour changes wink

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale