Page:
DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ok, as the name suggests (for any diaboloisters - what do you call them?) this is based around the diabolo move the whip catch, where you throw the diabolo in the air then flick out the string and whip it out the air (Bloody hard I have to say)

So, the poi variation biggrin

You'll need weighted handles (at least knots in the end of socks, preferably something heaveir)

Reverse butterfly
Left hand release into verticle throw but give the handle a push down so it rotates around the centre (ish) of the string
When it comes down, wrap the right poi around the left poi, as near to the head as you can - although you should find the loop will slide down to it anyway

From here it gets a little sketchy...
~ Sometimes after another spin, the left poi will untangle and shoot up in the air again to be caught
~ If you can catch the left poi, you have a vague variation of BlueCats placements. You can sort of untangle them airwrap stylee, you can go into some sort of pendulum stuff and twist it into corkscrew to untangle - meh, there's a probably more but I only really discovered them last night

My success rate of a diabolo whip catch was about 1 in 20, with poi I've found it's about 1 in 5 to tangle and about 1 in 3 to untangle nicely so it's not THAT hard wink#

Disclaimer: I am not responsible in anyway for damage caused to peoples belongings broken in frustration at these very silly moves

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
whip catches are when the poi completely leaves one hand and is caught by the other poi, suicides/hyperloop throws are pretty easy with fire but whippies can be difficult, you have to hit the flying poi just right for the chains not to tangle and set you on fire.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Tangling the heads before letting go of one poi is an airwrap suicide not a whip catch. The other one, where you let go completely of one poi and catch it with the other poi is a whip catch. They are quite different.

For the airwrap suicide the poi have to be in a V shaped plane in front of you, so the point of the V is facing away from you.

For the whip catch, firstly, do you have weighted poi? and secondly have you found the sweet spot or wibble point of the poi?

The planes have to be really messed up for it to work. Imagine you are looking down as your poi are spinning in front of you in wallplane. They should be like this - /__ so the / is the left poi or catching poi and the __ is the thrown poi. As you throw the poi give it a little flick to isolate it a bit so it stays roughly in front of you and doesnt go flying off to one side. Try, when you bring the catching poi down, to hit the thrown poi as near to the handle or sweet spot as possible. (Unless you don't have weighted ends then everything goes pete tong and you have to invert the planes and catch near the head). The nearer you hit to the handle the easier the poi will come apart. It is trial and error as to exactly where to hit the poi to get a really high release.

Thats about it really, pm me if you need any more help.

Beth x

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
I haven't seen this thread before!
I do some kind of whip catches and I have seen that I can do a "whip catch" exactly near the poi head...in this way the tangled and flying poi turn on the nexus and the handle came back in your handany other kind of whip catches excepet the two most common with the throw of one poi and the thrown of the two poi tangled toghether?

Acciaio devil

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
The only reason to use the /\ V is to tangle/start the airwrap. To make a suicide unwrap all you need to do is keep the catching poi moving in the same plane and the handle of the released poi will come round and land in your hand.

One thing i forgot to mention is that when your thrown poi is released, it starts like this, (H is hand) - O-----H-release poi, it will do a half turn and be caught with the other poi when it is in this position - ------O H. So then it will catch like --/----O.

I will write a proper article on this one day with shiny diagrams... smile

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
you have to catch the thrown poi on the wibble point of the thrown poi.

It's only vital to catch on this point if you want the poi to spring out/untangle nicely. For practicing it's probably easier to just catch it anywhere (though make sure the thrown poi does a half turn before catching it as i said above) to get the motions right. Then you can experiment as to where you need to make contact to get whatever result you want.

Page: