Page:
DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ok, as the name suggests (for any diaboloisters - what do you call them?) this is based around the diabolo move the whip catch, where you throw the diabolo in the air then flick out the string and whip it out the air (Bloody hard I have to say)

So, the poi variation biggrin

You'll need weighted handles (at least knots in the end of socks, preferably something heaveir)

Reverse butterfly
Left hand release into verticle throw but give the handle a push down so it rotates around the centre (ish) of the string
When it comes down, wrap the right poi around the left poi, as near to the head as you can - although you should find the loop will slide down to it anyway

From here it gets a little sketchy...
~ Sometimes after another spin, the left poi will untangle and shoot up in the air again to be caught
~ If you can catch the left poi, you have a vague variation of BlueCats placements. You can sort of untangle them airwrap stylee, you can go into some sort of pendulum stuff and twist it into corkscrew to untangle - meh, there's a probably more but I only really discovered them last night

My success rate of a diabolo whip catch was about 1 in 20, with poi I've found it's about 1 in 5 to tangle and about 1 in 3 to untangle nicely so it's not THAT hard wink#

Disclaimer: I am not responsible in anyway for damage caused to peoples belongings broken in frustration at these very silly moves

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
oooh whip catches I 've been wondering what to call them!! Yes sometimes....sometimes not....only with socks....but sometimes a double where it whips out and back in again.....sometimes.....must work harder....have to be ready for Glasto for my 1st anniversary of poi spinning.....f*ck college work I got poi to spin baby!

l8rs weavesmiley x juggle = ubblove

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
That is some tricky $hit. You must have huge heavy handles...i can get a poi to catch the other mid air...but getting it to fly off again is way hard. Usually i just grab it again while its still tangled and before my handle catch's on fire. eek I have it on video if u wanna see?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yaaaaaaaaay!

matt Poipoipoi and i were discussing this over on PIP about 6 months ago but both of us digressed and went on to other things.. so very nice to see them being picked up by others.

can't wait to see what you'se is doing with them at glasto.

smiles
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Dropping them mostly - it's that erm.. "Glastonbury Air" - makes my head go funny wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
Quote:

it's that erm.. "Glastonbury Air" - makes my head go funny wink

aha revenge of cider methinks

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Dropping them mostly

ditto

But will try to have them landing tastfully at least once a day during the festie wink God damn so many moves to nail before then....you guys better appreciate it!! But of course you will hug I hold no resposibility tho if I'm crap because of breathing Durbs second hand...erm....air ubbangel

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

That is some tricky $hit. You must have huge heavy handles...

Nope, but I mostly just use my socks not fire so they got a knot on the top end but that's it....maybe that's why they're so tricky to pull of clean cuz I need heavier handles? hmmmmm....umm

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, maybe it was cos I learnt them stoned, but I can't do them with any consistancy at all now frown

I'm sure I didn't dream them smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
here's one to try that's quite easy....

butterfly (right arm anti-clock left clockwise) alternate timing throw the right poi under the left arm across your body and the left poi should swing down and whip catch it without too much worry. Then you just gotta get the handle into your hand but I'll leave that one with you!

l8rs smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Started playing with these properly yesterday.

Reverse butterfly, I can catch nicely about 90% and release about 1 in 4 properly

Weave I can catch pretty much everytime but find the release alot more hit-and-miss

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
These are pretty cool. I've been using [Old link] for them. The even weight makes then relatively easy. I catch them all the time but somethimes have problems catchin the handle once they're wrapped.

The only follow time one I've tried is wall plane anti-clock. I find it easiest to whip catch the left with the right and bring it across to the left (btb side) and catch the handle there as the airwrap unwraps. Good practise is the gilligan airwrap to get the feel for it. cool

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I got a new one yesterday too!! Reverse weave, as you come from left to right the left hand goes to buzzsaw for one spin, right goes behind the leg and throws forwards BTL and they just loop onto each other. The left spinning carris on it's arc so they both get a nice big phat rotation and straight back to your hands everytime guaranteed....well 2 in 5 anyways ubbangel

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I tried to film some yesterday, but of course as always happens as soons as theirs a camera pointing towards you it all goes horribly wrong and makes you cry.

Well, it did with me anyway

Perserverance though....

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Added a slight twist to make them easier - instead of trying to time the release so the poi comes out spinning so you can resume reverse butterfly, you can stall the catching poi at horiztontal, giving you time to grab the caught poi and come out into forward butterfly - got it 10 times in a row which I count as nailed biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
oooh nice one...I'll be trying that one tonight biggrin

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Video being filmed tonight (Probably)

I'll try and get all 3 variations on tape, but 1 especially is pretty temperamental.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Video now up in the videos section (Odd that eh?) wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Written by:

matt Poipoipoi and i were discussing this over on PIP about 6 months ago but both of us digressed and went on to other things.. so very nice to see them being picked up by others.

Rob: I've been thinking about that conversation recently because a couple weeks ago I managed to do what then seemed almosted mythical.

Hyperloop Throw >>> Whip Catch (Hyperloop Catch) which tosses back into the air >>> Catch Normally

I've pulled it off a couple times and the firetoys people caught it on camera smile

They haven't put it up online yet but i reckon they will, if not then i'll get a copy.

¦m¦

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*Update*

Well, me and Matt (PPP) have come up with the following definitions:
Whip Catch - Catching a poi out the air with a poi, then bringing it back into hand
Whip Toss - Catching a poi out the air, and letting it be whipped by the catching motion back up into the air again to be caught, or whip-tossed again

not to be confused with
Hyperloop-releases - Which are when you hyperloop and throw/release a handle, let it come round back into hand
Hyperloop-throws - Hyperloop release but instead of the handle coming back into the hand, the poi is thrown from the other poi.

So, what I'm up to so far:
~ (Reverse) Butterfly
Whip catch (as seen in one of my videos)
Whip toss - 3 in a row, but I didn't catch it afterwards...

~ Weave (Forward or reverse - makes no difference)
Whip catch
Whip toss

~ Over-head throw with hand swap
Whip catch
Whip toss

Waist-wrap BTB Whip catch - Possibly a fluke, but have managed it twice so far.

Managed all but BTB whip catch with fire too biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
also

Whip Pick Up When one poi is on the floor you can whip it into either a catch or flip it into the air for the Whip Toss
Both are amazingly easy and consistent.

I been trying this with one poi handle on my foot (to give a little space underneath) while the rest of it lies on the floor facing out to my right hand side, the other poi is spinning in my right hand. Catch the floor poi near the handle end and whip up for for lovely results. Very controlable, very fluid and very nice. Did lots at BristolJC and I think I only dropped one or two out of about 25 attempts biggrin

And what I've been doing lately is TTN butterfly whip catches, very easy and again very fluid and consistent.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Also a small extension of what Dunc said.

Throw one poi and catch it on your foot, then do a whip pick up from there. Looks very fluid and quite simple to do.

Or, throw one poi and catch it on your foot, then wibble it and do a whip catch while it's in the air.

Or, (with bare feet) hold one poi in one foot and the other in the opposite hand, begin spinning each, and then go into an airwrap and release the foot poi and you have a hyperloop release thingummy.

Aint the BJC great for ideas and trickswaps ubblove

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Nice smile

But isn't a wibble with your feet a flibble?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
possibly...

When matt and laura started talking about dibbles and tribbles, i stopped listening so you could well be right Durbs biggrin

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
1 spin = wibble

2 spins = dibble

3 spins = tribble

foot spin = flibble (apparently) but i dunno what 2 spins off the foot would be.

¦m¦

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
a fladibble?

and if you drop one it's a "dribble" wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
BUMP

i got whip catches avec fire, theyre silly and dangerous but look good and are just wicked

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Forget Mr Whippy, you're Miss Whippy!

Can't wait to see you again when you're back hon hug

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
i shall be seeing you at play mon cher! avec beaucoup whippy madness!
hug

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
I do this exact same move out of an airwrap. Just let the heads hit really close togeather and release the left handle, most likely it will fly up in front of you. Goo dLuck, not responsible for broken furniture and frustration.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ah - those are suicides, not whip catches smile
(Or maybe hyperloop throws, depending how clean you come out of it...)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Page: