Forums > Help! > child endangerment laws

Login/Join to Participate

psycho44BRONZE Member
56 posts

Posted:
i was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any child endangerment laws or something in florida that would prevent me from letting my children spin fire?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Social Services and Child Protective Services can help you out there, and depending on the age of the child, yes, there usually are. It falls under Reckless Endangerment Laws which generally are in regard to anything that an adult allows a minor to do that is beyond a normal life risk. Playing with fire falls into this category, just as knife throwing, sword swallowing, smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol and not making the child wear a seatbelt do.

Not to mention that several areas of Florida have restrictions on fire use even for adults.

Or the fact that the inhalation of the smoke from fire poi is bad, especially for growing lungs.

But you might want to look further into the laws so you have exactly what you are looking for.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
How old is the child in question just out of curiosity?

psycho44BRONZE Member
56 posts

Posted:
we actually have 6 children and their ages range from 7 to 11 they all have their own practice poi and are now becoming interested in staff our youngest boy seems to be a natural at staff spinning.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I hope this post won't cause animosity but here goes:

You would have to check with the Law enforcement agency in your local area or childrens services to find out the legal age where parents can't be booked for endangering their child's life (and if fire twirling is considered endagering your child's life).

Being that they are Extremely young I would say in all honesty I doubt that it would be allowed. Not only from an endagerment point of view but also from the point of view that they are not consenting adult and as they are so young they would not fully understand the dangers of what they would be doing.

Personally (this is the part that may offend and I am sorry if it does) there is no way that I would ever let a child those ages near fire. Let them practice without fire until they are 16 and if they still want to do it then not only would it be legal but they would most probably understand the full consequences of what they are doing.

psycho44BRONZE Member
56 posts

Posted:
I don't take offense to what you said, to each his own I think that it would depend on the skill level and maturity. It's not like we are going to say yeah go ahead and play with fire I mean that would be really irresponsible. They go with me and their father evey weekend to the beach where we meet and spin with a group of people. They have been lectured about the dangers of the fire and know what to do in case of an emergency. I have told them that there is a chance that certain laws may keep them from lighting up until they are older. They understand and accept this. I would of course be right there with them. Also we were think more of staff we thought a fixed fire would be safer and keep the flames farther away. Also less chance of it swinging and hitting them. I appreciate the input and hearing other opinions. It helps me to look at things from all angles. Of course as far as the legal issues i would never knowingly break a law and would not want my children to think that it was ok.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Ive been twirling since i was about nine, and fire since i was 11, and i'm 15 now, and my parents still havent been booked, but for xtremely young kids, like 6 downwards, its a bit silly really..

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."