Forums > Social Discussion > Entire State of Vermont Endangered?

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So, what do you think? Do you think that large corporations that can out-compete small, mom-and-pop places should be allowed to dominate the market as long as there is more than one large corporation doing it, or do you feel like this all smacks of a new sort of monopoly?

What are your solutions?

Quote:

Vermont put on preservation group's list of most endangered places

By Anne Wallace Allen
ASSOCIATED PRESS

2:07 p.m. May 24, 2004

MONTPELIER, Vt. – A preservation group put Vermont on its list of America's most endangered places Monday, warning that this New England state's small-town charm is threatened by Wal-Mart.

Vermont is the only state ever to make the National Trust for Historic Preservation's annual list in its entirety.

The state has four Wal-Marts – all small by Wal-Mart standards – and Vermont preservationists say the company is planning to enlarge two of them and open five new ones. Wal-Mart said it has firm plans only for one new store, in St. Albans.

Trust President Richard Moe said Vermont's "special magic" would vanish with the arrival of the giant stores.

"Vermont is uniquely a state of small towns, and many of these downtowns would be decimated by this," Moe said. "A lot of small businesses just disappear in the face of a huge Wal-Mart."

Mia Masten, Wal-Mart community affairs manager for the Eastern region, suggested such fears are being overdramatized. The company's plans will provide Vermonters with more jobs and convenient shopping, she said.

"It sounds as if we're trying to go and push our way in," Masten said. "But we are asking for and getting local input. We want a project that everyone likes at the end of the day."

Paul Bruhn, executive director of the Preservation Trust of Vermont, said Vermont's economy depends on the unique villages that tourists love.

"One of the things that's wonderful about Vermont is that we have intact downtowns that each are different places, in part because they're not overwhelmed by chain retail businesses," he said.

Other sites on the list include Nine Mile Canyon in Utah, with its 10,000 Indian rock-art images; the Ridgewood Ranch in Northern California, the home and final resting place of the racehorse Seabiscuit; and Pennsylvania's Bethlehem Works steel plant.

Vermont was first placed on the list in 1993, because of Wal-Mart's plans to expand into the state. Vermont at the time was the only state without a Wal-Mart.

"The threat which we thought had been contained has not only come back, but has come back in an enormous way," said Kennedy Smith, the director of the National Trust's Main Street Center in Washington.

"We think the danger to the character of Vermont communities and the landscape is so severe that it warrants making an exception and re-listing the state."

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
In my area there have always been moves, and currently are again, to keep those kind of large corporations out. eg. starbucks, mcdonalds etc....

Outrarea did have a mcdonalds, residents didn't want it there, and after enough graffitting and protesting it went away biggrin yay ubbrollsmile

I'm all for kepping those sorts of companies out of an area if the majority of local residents don't want them there.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Wal-mart Killed My Small Town In New Hampshire, and Now every one in Vermont and Canada, comes across the river to crowd my little village of a town. Pluss there is alot more Crime due to this!
Wal-mart is the Devil!!!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
lol. wal-mart sucks. i'll be the first to say this, as i was employee of the month.

i work at a small town wal-mart in california and trust me, it's being here is the only reason i moved to bummsville.

there's nothing wrong with wal-mart, except it dosen't pay it's employees a living wage, it lies to the american people trying to trick them into thinking it's a great place to work, etc..

in this quiet little whitebread redneck mountain town, the small businesses actually do pretty well. you see, wal-mart sells shoddy merchandise for everyday low prices. most people realize that if they want their shoes to last for longer than 15 days (thank you Wal-Mart! *grumbles something about at least getting a 10% discount for working there*), they have to go to one of the shoe stores in town. there are other examples too, the bike shop sells haro, wal-mart sells trek (and not the good kind either), the gun shop sells guns, and wal-mart's gun license got revoked in california (yay), wal-mart sells clothes, and the little clothing shoppe uptown sells clothes i would actually wear..

see? wal-mart's not that bad ubbrollsmile

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
"Entire State of Vermont Endangered?" probably.

If all the supermaerkets dissapeared tomorrow we'd be in a better place IMO. They do nothing fantastic except increase laziness and stop people from learning to cook properly. (myself included) I'd be happier getting my veg from a grocers, my bread from a bakers, my wine from an booze shop and my clothes from a clothes shop. Who needs supermarkets? They don't increase any industry or jobs or anything.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I heard on the radio the other day, that £1 in every £12 gets spent at Tesco and associated stores!!

one corporation accounting for 1/12 of all money spent in the UK!!!!!!

eek eek eek

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."