Forums > Help! > Killing the Kerosene stink!

Login/Join to Participate

Choppermember
3 posts

Posted:
Okay, i've read endless threads and still not found an answer. Any suggestions on how to reduce the stink of kerosene? Like, dunk my heads in milk immediately after a burn, or spray 'em with CK1, or whatever magical solutions you've come up with.

Yes, i already know that there are other fuels that are cleaner. That's not my question. Assuming that i am limited to dirty dirty low grade kerosene and am living in a small and poorly ventilated place, what do i do for storage to keep from being high 18hrs a day? I have airtight containers, but are there further measures?

I and my roomates thank you!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Air tight containers inside more air tight containers? Dont think there are any methods for really getting rid of the smell and fumes. Keep them outside maybe?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I dont think there is a way of getting rid of the smell... ask anyone who has been in our car!! eek
I get asked if Im wearing a "odour de kero" perfume all the time!

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
unfortunately, i think you get what you pay for with kero. cheap and smelly!! and very hot!! wink

i haven't used kero in a while, but i think the smell is forever burnt into my nose! ubbtickled i never found a way to get rid of it!!! which is why i bit the bullet and used a different (more expensive) fuel.

funny story with kero tho - was staying at my folks once. went twirling with some friends, then went home after my folks were in bed. doing the right thing i put my poi and kero outside...only i put them too close to a window or something, and the smell actually woke my mum up!!! hahaha! i thought it was funny - she didn't! spank

sorry couldn't be more helpful! ubbrollsmile

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

mattpoiBRONZE Member
20 posts

Posted:
maybe this will help? hope its not too common-sense

I always put my poi in a plastic bag or my sealed dunking thermos (w/o the fuel, of course) after a spin to transport home. Then I open up the bag outside and spin them for a bit... This seems to accelerate the de-smelling process.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
dunno why you'd want to get rid of that lovely odour. its just sooo fragrant.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
oon a slight tangent, i saw a loverly guy last year in a poi in the park in ritherham, have the most wonderful vial of parafin additive, it made it smell of cherrys!

who was this guy....it was astrofaries b/f, maybe you could get incontact with her and ask her to ask him what it was so you could try to find some, he was working in a hardware shop at the time, so you may find some there?

Step (el-nombrie)

Choppermember
3 posts

Posted:
Okay, thank you bundles. Though it looks like there is not much hope. I will experiement, and let you know if something miraculous happens.

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
cherries? thats... very interesting; i will have to ask her, that sounds very good actually, my friends would love that...my car wouldn't smell SO bad... ubbrollsmile

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Don't forget to the untrained nose it will smell of cherries AND kero.

It's onyl to firies like us who seem to notice more cherry than long carbon chains... wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
the surest way to avoid kero odour is to avoid kero smile

864thirsty

dang this forum maketh me thirst peace
EDITED_BY: bender™ (1086247646)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I still enjoy the smell of my burnt poi hanging on the verandah. My car smells of kero and I dont mind that either.

ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

Its only when people out of the fam get in the car and comment that I even think about it.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Keep them outside maybe?

only if you want someone to come and burn your house down. devil

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.