Forums > Social Chat > British Train Ticket Buying Website?

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I did a search but it was too confusing with all of this 'free market capitalism' train stuff that's going on in the UK.

I wanna buy roundtrip tix from London to Edin over the internet. What do I click?

[I'm relying on my 'a native is worth a thousand guidebooks' theory.]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
www.virgintrains.co.uk

One day i'll learn to resist gravity...

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
i use the train line

thereas also a thing call 'fast tickets' which is a machine at the station you type in your code and out pops the ticket smile saves on queing etc, so i recommend that option

good luck smile

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Virgin and Trainline are actually exactly the same info. Most of the sites in the uk share the same database but I find trainline staff are better if you need to call and as for help ubbrollsmile

I just tried the link for it and it wouldn't let me cut and paste so here's some info

Leave London Kings Cross @ 10:00
Direct Train
Arrive at Edinbugger @ 14:21

If you book far enough in advance you can get the return for £25 which I must say is an absolute bargain! But you can pay up to about £60 with the same train company (I know it doesn't make sense but them the buiscits!)

You'll need to register on the site first before you can confirm bookings and you can arrange to collect your ticket from the station you leave from.

Hope that helps and remember when you're keying in the dates we use DAY MONTH YEAR not MONTH DAY YEAR like you weirdos over the water! tongue

Let's relight this forum ubblove

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
wow, I need to start using trainline instead of virgin, tickets seem so much cheaper through it. I've never been able to get to London anywhere near that cheap even with rail card discounts! eek

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I think it's the "book with stupid amount of advance notice option" it was at the top of the list of about 30 different fares...I got quite confused with the differing types so I could be wrong...but I didn't enter any discounts thingumyjigs smile

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Sorry, my mistake, things have got cheaper since last time I wanted to go to London. smile May have myself a holiday at those prices! biggrin

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
my advice, find if any operators go direct, and if so buy a ticket specific to that operator. You'll save a packet compared to normal tickets. For instance, to go to London return from mine is 6.60 on one train company. Compare that 10.50 for a normal ticket. Not a massive saving I know, but when you make the journey several times a week, every week, or a long journey, it's serious money.

Of course, all the operators on my line have merged now, which means more profits for them - company specific tickets have been scrapped cause there's only one operator frown

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
sod the trains they suck big style. so go in style i just had a quick flick and Sunday 22 August

Flight 231
departs London Stansted at 07:20, arrives Edinburgh at 08:40
flexible web fare 6.99 GBP (phone fare 11.99 GBP)

just a quicky but do some resaecrh about flying.
do a search on here too

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
eek Now that's a BARGAIN!! Fly NYC FLY !! Just flap those big ole wngs and FLY BABY!! biggrin

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Fly? Take the train. I've done loads of internal flights and I reckon it's more draining. You've got to get to the airport first and Stanstead - it's miles away in the country! Then you got to get from Edinburgh airport to the city.

Nah! Get an advance ticket on the train - sometimes the first class is only a bit more - plug the stereo in and watch the world go by.

Or just stay in London...

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ditto

wink

EDITED_BY: Hels Bells (1085573418)

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying spank

how could you attempt to deprive me of him, when you lot don't even know the delights of edinburgh wink

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
If you're going to fly watch out for the taxes. there was an offer recently: fly to Edinburgh for £1.00. In very small print it said the airport tax was £40.

I've done National Express a couple of times. It takes about 8 hours, is marginally more uncomfortable than the train but cost half the price.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

ditto

wink

Hey, I love London... My first choice was London. Edinburgh just out bid ya. Lodging for two months and an internship at Te Pooka!! biggrin

Oh and it turns out that Bluecat and I will be driving up anyway... so I won't need the train after all. redface Unless Bluecat flakes and I'm left buying a 200 quid ticket at the station that day. frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Another place to try for online tickets is scotrail - they do exactly the same tickets, but their site sucks a little bit less than the trainline which can be really slow.

But I see you've got a lift up, which is a much better plan.

See you in edinburgh, maybe!

monkeys ate my brain

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I'm about to book a train on virgin from Worcester to London.

What's a "Young person railcard" ?
I have a under 26 cheap travel card, is that it?

thanks

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
i use railtrack.co.uk always way cheaper wen u book a week in advance! x

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.