Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > anyone got insights on doubles; front Bfly WW?

Login/Join to Participate

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone,

Ive been having trouble getting this to look smooth - I can get the staves to do it but my arms feel very awequard(sp?) ... has anyone got any ideas on this?

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
got insights.

got no playing (wrist, but finally on the mend....)so will get dave (mo-seph) to answer you instead. he's got some tastiness around those areas(d'ya read his ideas on 5-hole?)

biggrin
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Yes, i find this one awkward too - can never tell if its going to work smooth this time or will screw up. more practice i guess - split time WW is much easier imho ..

smile Mike

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
bah yoo taught me!
i's got it fastly done but not in parrallel planes! kinda dcrossed my planes are.
thanks for the teach! hug

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Woo!

I was showing Katinca how I cant do it, and she just said "move it up under your arm" and bam! it works wonders.

So yeah - move the bfly up under your arm. and keep it high on the cross over to the other side. your same side elbow will stick out and look like its going to get bashed off, but it doesnt! ubbloco

it looks a bit different from the waist level btb version, but its a nice move none-the-less...

smile

and blue - yeah I read that thread, I think its an interesting concept, and similar to one which I work with.

erm Bender, Knoxi taught me the follow time version by holding the crossed sticks with both your index fingers touching along their length paralell to each other...this gives the move the neccessary stability.

Josh

--

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I was going to suggest getting it up under your arm. Ah well, too slow biggrin

Just to check I'm understanding you right, do you have one arm by your side, and the other arm coming across your tummy into the opposite hip/armpit?

Also, which way round are your hands? Both sides can be done with thumbs facing forwards or backwards (although the nearside arm thumb is rotated inwards like an underarm snake rather than the normal figure 8 direction, if that makes any snse at all...)

/me plays for a bit

Ah - are you doing a 1 beat pattern on each side, or a 2-beat? I've just discovered the 2-beat version, which feels lovely (if a bit ragged at the mo)

I think the 1-beat with the crossed thumb facing backwards might end up slightly cleaner (nearside thumb forwards) - your wrist is in a more relaxed position, but you do have slightly less control over the staff. Also, sometimes the side-to-side transitions seem easier that way.

Nice move, by the way - I'd never thought of doing *front* ww's. I think btb ww's are almost easier - you need the flexibility to get your arm into the right place, but once it's there its an easier movement.

Oh yeah, mr cryptic josh:
Quote:

yeah I read that thread, I think its an interesting concept, and similar to one which I work with.

Share the knowledge then! wink
biggrin biggrin

Cheers!
mo

monkeys ate my brain

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
yep you got the right move mo-seph - and yeah, it does feel more awkward than the btb version smile but moving it up from the hip to the underarm makes it a load easier.

I'm talking about the 2 beat versions.

as for the crypticity - I'll edit my post (its the most recent on your 5-hole style thread) to make what I'm saying clearer..er.

smile

Josh

--