thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
why in an election year?

to make it hard on the other guy. if kerry says this is a bad idea, he's anti-american, he dosen't want to defend our country! if he says it's a good idea, everyone will hate him.

it's more complicated than that, but i've been doing homework for too long and words have lost all meaning.

during vietnam, a few kids were gathered on a college campus in Kent, Ohio. alot of them died. their parents were on television saying how angry they were at their children for protesting, they felt the guard did their job.

vietnam was more popular to the white bread middle class than it seemed. it was their children's responsibility to go somewhere they didn't want to go, and do something they didn't want to do, and die somewhere they would be forgotten. and in america, the land of the free, the home of the brave, the shelter for the tired and poor huddled masses who only yearned to breathe free, refuse from some teeming shore, homeless and tempest-tossed searching for her lamp beside some golden door, the middle class white bread people are all that matter.

sorry for the cynicism. it's just how things are appearing to me at the moment.

and sorry for the grammer and spelling, it's been a long day.

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

Daimember
22 posts

Posted:
Quote:

during vietnam, a few kids were gathered on a college campus in Kent, Ohio. alot of them died.

A few kids were gathered? alot of them died? It was a large demonstration which turned into a riot, not that in any way justifies killing 6 students and wether or not you think 6 is a lot is up to you, however the way you wrote it seemed very biased possibley misleading.

On the issue of drafting that seems quite worring, what exactly do they need all those troops for - there must be many millions of americans of draft age and you can't exactly send a few million troops over there so there's no point drafting everybody but it's not fair to draft some and not others. Just seems a bit crazy really! eek confused

even a frisbee is a lethal weapon in the hands of the wrong person

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Am I right in thinking that men of 18 years and older already have to give this information to the Service, in case they decide to draft? eek

Yes it is a law that when a male becomes 18 he must register with selective service, in case it is ever used. If he doesn't he could get into trouble with the law I presume.

Now if the draft were to start up again women would be eligible also...Which makes me kinda happy. (that is too all the women out there who complain about not having equal rights like men, but who say no to registering to the draft)(i am a woman btw).

I really can't see the draft starting up again though. Too much opposition to it. I see it as a way for the democrats or whoever proposed it to make the war's cause even more damaging. Therefore making it harder for the Bush to win in the presidential elections.

Ah let the games begin cool

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
This topic came up among some friends.

Chances of a draft being reinstated are quite low given the unpopularity of the idea. It is disturbing, though, to see that being enrolled in school is not an out.

What is more disturbing to me is the bill which would allow Congress to overturn Supreme Court decisions.:

https://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:H.R.3920:/

This bill is more disturbing to me because it throws the checks and balances out the window. Civics 101.

Some representatives are getting their underwear in a twist because the courts are ruling that banning same sex marriage is unconstitutional. Representatives got their panties in a twist when the Supreme Court ruled segregation was unconstitutional. Who protects the minority if not the courts?
Eh...what do I know...I'm just one of those minorities.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Spanner, the Draft does exist even now, since one can never know when a major war will suddenly happen, although we all hope that it will not. EVERY MALE of age 18 or older must register. Doesn't matter if you have a physical condition or anything else, you still have to register. Because of my back and the fact that I have ADHD, I cannot be drafted, but because of my training, I might be conscripted into service for the military, in spite of that. However, due to physical limitations (the fact that I have to take medicines to function properly), I personally can never serve in a combat role. In spite of that, I had to register.

The chances of the draft being reinstated are very low and would be greeted with a lot of resistance both inside and outside of the military. The Pentagon has already said in no uncertain terms that it does not want a draft and that it would rather a volunteer military.

However, a number of Democrats have been pushing for the Draft because, they reason, if Republicans were forced to send their sons and daughters into combat every time they got the odd itch to invade someone, maybe they'd be a little more reserved.

I think that having the Selective Service is necessary. The Draft saved not only the U.S., but possibly the entire world in WWII.

However, if they reinstate it just to send people to Iraq or off on other such boondogles, I'll pick up and move, even if I am not eligible. I won't provide my services to a country with such warped values.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Quote:

And, this time around, will it set a precedent for other member countries of the "coalition of the willing"?

I don't think so for Australia - it'd never get off the ground, it'd be political suicide to propose conscription in this country... smile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

What is more disturbing to me is the bill which would allow Congress to overturn Supreme Court decisions.:

It would be interesting if it passed because it's unconstitutional (very clearly so...no question about that). But if the SC said it was unconstitutional, what power would it have to enforce that ruling?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

It would be interesting if it passed because it's unconstitutional (very clearly so...no question about that). But if the SC said it was unconstitutional, what power would it have to enforce that ruling?

Exactly, Lightning. It throws the checks and balances out the window. We have three branches of government so that no one branch can strong arm it's policies and agendas.

One friend responded that Congress already could overturn SC decisions by constitutional amendments. I believe the Judicial Branch, though has the power to interpret constitutional law. Unfortunately, I'm not well versed in such things to offer more information, and need it myself.

Off to do some research....and take some congestion medicine. Bleh hate being sick.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
https://www.newamericancentury.org/

If you want to know why on earth American could need all those troops, have a browze of this. Also if you really want to know why America worries so many people, look here. I'll probably start a new thread on it at some point but it seemed relevant now so here it is. Below is a wee extract from their "statement of principals"

Quote:

• we need to increase defense spending significantly if we are to carry out our global
responsibilities today and modernize our armed forces for the future;

• we need to strengthen our ties to democratic allies and to challenge regimes hostile to our interests and values;

• we need to promote the cause of political and economic freedom abroad;

• we need to accept responsibility for America's unique role in preserving and extending an international order friendly to our security, our prosperity, and our principles.

Just read around though, it pretty much details exactly what the american government intends on doing over the next, well, century. While its not offical government policy, a look at who is behind it (Rumsfelt + Cheeny etc are all in there) gives you an idea of how much power they have.

A few years ago this site seemed terrifying, but reading it now I've realised that the stuff Bush says on the news every day is starting to become a replica of it, so it may not actually seem that shocking anymore.

Davy