Forums > Social Chat > Buying Poi in London, England

Login/Join to Participate

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Can anyone please help me??
I'm looking for any shops in London, England that sell fire and/or beaming poi.
If anyone out there knows of anywhere please o please let me know.

Happy Spinnin

Herby

Herby

At the top of the spin..
..i found my smile biggrin

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
hey up herby

option one make your own, much more fun.

option 2 the marvelous HOPshop (somewhere round here) sells all those things at a very good price.

chocolate options
You can buy fire or tails, and sometimes beaming from oddballs, but it bit expensive in camden, (walk down the main street on the corner with the start of the main market bit.)

option 4
If you want tails, you best bets for guarenteed quality and good price are:
alex or dimitri who go to tuesday viaduct and thursday kensal rise will probably have some for sale at 15 quids.

the maybe, just maybe, option:
Flags, if you can wait 8 weeks, someone round here might have finished their course and be manufacturing some.

procrastinating
glass

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
hey theres a juggling shop on Cambden market! head for the locks and keep going about 200yds and the shop is just on the corner on the left before the bridge.
Got mine from there a couple of weeks ago. they've got chains and wire poi not sure about beaming poi but have a look anyway

Spike

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

greenfyregirlSILVER Member
journeyman
55 posts

Posted:
Hello Herby!

Unless you want to have a go at making yr own chains, I would strongly recomend buying stuff from HOP, its excellent and they are v quick to send stuff.

I went to Oddballs on Saturday and their stuff is quite expensive - kevlar rope was twice the price of HOP's!

Customer service also left quite alot to be desired! Im glad ive met so many nice poi-ers, cuz if i was new to it id of been quite put off by their attitude!!!!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
The poi shop in camden on the corner (the yellow one) is well expensive. my advice would be HOP shop.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
ooh i like the juggling shop in Camden!! it sells quality stuff!! and i also was there a few weeks ago!!

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Clarey x

I think you were unlucky and caught them on an off day. when they'd run out of smiles due to too many customers.
Most of the people who work in oddballs are poi spinners (or are dating poiers) and are really lovely.
But yep, for poi kit, its spenny cost thats what shops are.
Drew

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
I've previously been to the shop in Camden and did think it was a tad expensive.
I was kinda hoping there were other places to shop:)
HOP shop does seem cheaper but I'm an impatient fool was hoping to get them within 2 weeks.
Was hoping there'd be another shop?
How long does it take for HOP to deliver?
If I went the fire route which would be advisable to get cathedral or round wicks?

Herby:)

Herby

At the top of the spin..

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
I ordered some comet poi and they arrived in 6 days!!!

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
i would definitely go HOP... my first order (cant remember what now) i ordered on sunday, and they arrived on the tuesday while I was at work!!!!
other orders have taken between 5 and 10 days. order them with normal post if you can then you avoid having to pay some VAT or import duty or something...

If these are your first fire poi, I would go for round heads, as they bounce and dont burn for as long as cathedrals... if you already have fire (or have used it) then get some cathedrals as they burn for ages and the flames are massive!!!
you can also make other heads and swap them onto the chains from HOP for a bit of variety... ...I made some cathedrals just before christmas from 4" wide wick, and used like 3 meters for the two heads (1.5m each) and they burn like hell....

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

DizMr Dizzy....
154 posts

Posted:
Hey Herby,

Odd Balls(the place in Camden) is a bit expensive and HOP does deilver quickly, my electro glo staff only took 6 days to come through but for other options try the address and check out some of the other shops in and around London listed.

www.juggling.org/mall/unit_ki.html

Come along to Poi in the Park on 18th May and show us what cool stuff you found.

Uzeal

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."
A Fortune Cookie

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Thanx for the help you guys.
I think ordering from HOP is going to be the best bet.
Where's the Poi in the Park at??
I'd lurve to go.
I havn't been practicing too much latley as I can't afford to get to Vauxhall and in (SOB SOB)

Hopefully see youse there

Herby

Herby

At the top of the spin..

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Where PiP? You've not been paying attention, have you! Read this

And the Vauxhall thing maybe dead!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Or even This which is the right link

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Alternatively you could buy some off Dave (Knoxious) - I bought some from him randomly on a street in Edinburgh, then we realised we actually knew eachother (kinda) but thats another story!. They're bootiful! and cheap! Get in touch with him........

Dibs xxx

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

cyberpunkgrrlmember
27 posts

Posted:
Yeah - I got my fire chains from the juggling shop in camden for about £30!!
While in the shop I noticed a huge chain with kevlar in the middle. When I asked what it was the guy replied 'A fire skipping rope' When I went 'Eh?', he replied'Well, what's the point in skipping on your unicycle if the rope isn't on fire?'
*giggle*

Retry
Abort...

Failed!