Forums > Social Discussion > The current atmosphere in this forum

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 123
Dom
Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3009
Posted:
This is an open post to all of you. It's not just for those people you think it's for - it's for them, you and everyone else to take note of.

I've not been on HoP much for the last couple of weeks, but it seems clear to me that there has been a lot of negativity thrown around the place. Whilst I could list a few core people what I have to say applies to every member of this community. It is clear that some people are too eager to turn discussions into personal slanging matches.

This has to stop. Home of Poi is not a place for you to pick fights, throw insults and engage in petty bickering.

Before you post I ask you to consider that Home of Poi is intented as an open, friendly community of people. As a community based on the loose connection that we all spin poi, staff or the like it is often the case that members have vastly differing views to each other. Therefore I ask you to respect this fact and treat each other warmly or, at worst, not at all.

It is my wish, and I believe it is Malcolm's too, that this comunity is a welcoming, open minded, warm, understanding, supporting and forgiving community based around spinning, regardless of politics and religion. If you are not prepared to play a part in making this comunity so, then please leave now. Otherwise read on.

The 'Social Discussion' forum in particular was always going to be a tricky one to keep the peace in. People with opposing views can and do have active, intelligent discussions without descending into what resembles a pack of monkeys screaming at each other across a stream. My hope was that this forum would give us a place to have sensible, open discussions where people can express their views, and I think that this has worked most of the time.

Before you post please consider a few things, including:
- Am I making this post out of anger?
- Do I have a valid point to make?
- Am I making my point/beliefs/idea clearly enough considering the limitations of post based communication?

If the answer to any of these is NO then reconsider you post.

- Is my post likely to cause an inflamatory reaction with a particular member/s?
- Is this post part of an increasingly heated exchange between 2/3 people?

If the answer is yes then chances are you're involved in a slanging match and there's no point continuing an open argument. Not only does everyone involved look bad and the community vibe disturbed, but the simple truth is that you are not going to change the views of someone so openly opposed to your way of thinking. So, if you wish to take individual matter further I recomend you do so via email or PM.

So, please everyone, think positively before you post.

Delete Topic

Doc Lightning
Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor
Total posts: 13920
Posted:I'm not biting. Those must be the cicadas. eek

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete

Konsti
Konsti

lovable smart-ass
Total posts: 785
Posted:lightning: yes it is and i hear that a lot in general.........

i think i will post this pic whenever people start fighting over oppinions.....

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

Delete

why
not _Y_
Total posts: 720
Posted:Quote:
PS...A tip I use a lot is to write the post I want to write in word or notepad first, spellcheck it, look for punctuation mistakes, then go and eat something.

When i come back, reread it again and usually then i can see the major problems with thepost, edit thema nd then copy it into the HoP reply.

and you still have over 3000 posts?

too much time? ubbangel

(does sound sensible, though, esp. if you plan on disagreeing with someone)

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw

Delete

Ade
Are we there yet?
Total posts: 1897
Posted:and for the love of the gods don't forget to use the emoticony things:

ubbrollsmile <--------------- that one's my fave biggrin

Delete

I'm not biting. Those must be the cicadas. eek

Damn things gave me a hickey on the back of my calf! eek eek eek

Delete

Malcolm
Malcolm

HOP admin
Total posts: 992
Posted:Thanks Dom,

I feel bad that I have been away working on the new site that the current site has seen some lost focus and thought.
Thanks for the heads up and here's to better things to come.

Much respect

Malcolm

"May your balls always burn"

Delete

Doc Lightning
Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor
Posted:You're a beautiful soul, Malcolm. hug ubblove

-Mike )'(

Delete

Spanner
Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here
Total posts: 2790
i think i will post this pic whenever people start fighting over oppinions....

Please don't ubbcrying

I was planning to post something positive in here once I'd replied to Robotface's PM, accepting his apology, but now I don't think this is the place frown

I can't quite put my finger on why this makes me feel so sad. I'm not sure whether it's that my aunt has lived in a home for the mentally retarded for the past 50 years (she is in her 60s, meaning she's been there since around the age of 10). I don't think it's even that. I can handle things which make me cringe, but this is something else which affects me in a way I can't even explain right now.

I don't think any worse of you, Konsti, or anyone who found the picture and caption amusing, and I wouldn't want this thread to become unnecessarily negative, though I think it's an apt point at which to say that I don't feel comfortable posting on it, and would like to invite anyone who's interested in how I feel about "the atmosphere in this forum" to PM me instead.

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

Konsti
Konsti

lovable smart-ass
Total posts: 785
Posted:its gone.........................
didnt mean to offend anyone......

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

Delete

Valura
Valura

Mumma Hen
Total posts: 6391
Posted:thanks konsti
hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Delete

NYC
NYC

NYC
Total posts: 9232
Posted:Thanks Konsti smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

pounce
pounce

All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
Total posts: 9831
Posted:wow i've missed a lot

i've been avoiding the social discussion forum for a variety of reasons.....time, lack of interest in some of the topics, too much interest in other topics (i've got enough emotionality in my life through my work, i generally try to avoid it in all other circumstances). and as such, i'm guessing that's where all the drama and disrespect has been.

i hope we can get back on track, if we have indeed lost our way. i wonder if this split between the two socials contributed to it or just let it sit in one spot? seems to me we had our fair share of moments before, but it sounds like it's getting worse? i dunno.

anyways, grouphug to you all.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Delete

_VT_
Your Face!
Total posts: 1173
Posted:*snags a water ballon from lightning and pegs pounce sqaure in the middle of her back!* tongue Love 'ya!

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

Delete

pounce
pounce

All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
Total posts: 9831
Posted:looks at VT slyly and yanks a cord

WHOOOOOOSSSSHHHHHHH!

a large quantity of water dumps straight down on top of VT

**giggles**

how do ya like dem apples? biggrin

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Delete

Twirly
Twirly

Shoryuken!
Total posts: 233
Posted:I'm a newb so I dunno the details of why everyone got all pissy with each other, but there are times when you feel you just can't drop an argument. I usually get this with politically stuff, because a lot of times I feel that peoples views are actually making life a lot worse for a lot of beings, so it feels like by dropping it your just going "feck it never mind" to something you really do mind about. So, yeah. Areet everyone?

Delete

Posted:* nails nilid in the back of the head with a water balloon * ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco

Delete

_VT_
Your Face!
Total posts: 1173
Posted:*vt redirects the falling water back on pounce with his awsomely over devolped mind powers!* I like them apples alot! biggrin

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

Delete

Posted:* Patrick laughs as VT flips himself backwards on an apple* ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco

Delete

Doc Lightning
Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor
Posted:*Notices that both Pounce and VT are wearing thin, white shirts and sits back to watch*

cool

-Mike )'(

Delete

Posted:* Nails Lightning with the spray from his SuperSoaker * ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco

Delete

MiG
MiG

Self-Flagellation Expert
Total posts: 3415
Posted:*Runs over to the garden hose, and clips on the spray nozzle. With an evil laugh, he turns, and begins annihilating patrick.*

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Delete

Posted:* Steps on the garden hose and turns SuperSoaker on MiG ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco

Delete

MiG
MiG

Self-Flagellation Expert
Total posts: 3415
Posted:d'oh. *watches as hose behind patrick swells, and bursts, drenching his back*

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Delete

flash fire
flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal
Total posts: 2758
Posted:*hits everyone on this thread with the high pressured water coming from the hose on her fire truck cos you're all WAY OFF TOPIC*

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete

Doc Lightning
Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor
Posted:*turns around and drills Flash Fire square in the chest with a large water baloon*

-Mike )'(

Delete

NYC
NYC

NYC
Total posts: 9232
Posted:Anybody else catch the irony that this thread has been hijacked into offtopic dribble?

frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Total posts: 7263
Posted:notices lighnings post so...

Loads up double barrelled water balloon launcher a fires direct hit at both VT & pounce in their white t-shirts eek ubbangel

*snickers* *giggles* and runs away

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Total posts: 7263
Posted:loads up smiley face water balloon with happy smiley faery dust and throws it at NYC while running from pounce & VT

Cheer up...it ain't so bad! It's a nice kinda irony wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

coleman
coleman

big and good and broken
Total posts: 7330
Posted:but to be fair, there is the waterfight thread which now summer is back can return to its proper standing, letting this thread go back to being depressing but readable.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

Doc Lightning
Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor
Anybody else catch the irony that this thread has been hijacked into offtopic dribble?

frown

I think it a beautiful irony. Here we have a thread on how we're all being disrespectful and it turns into a fun water fight!

I think this bodes well for HOP, personally.
*Drills NYC in the belly with a water baloon*

-Mike )'(

Delete

Page: 123