13,925 posts

Posted:

Quote:

GRILLED CICADAS

Ingredients:
1lb cicadas
1/3 C italian dressing

Directions:
Place cicadas in plastic bag with italian dressing, refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.

Grill until crisp, but still tender in the middle.

Quote:

Rinse the cicadas thoroughly under cold water. If any are still alive just toss them in the freezer for about ten minutes.
Separate the males form the females. The females are more delicious because they are bigger and meatier. The males are also tasty so don't just overlook them. (They are actually better deep-fried and dipped in your favorite salsa.)
Dry the rinsed cicadas off on paper towels. then coat them with a little flour, salt, and pepper.
Minse garlic.
Melt butter in a saute pan.
Add the garlic and the cicadas at the same time.
Don't overcook them or they get soggy. All you need is about 1 - 2minutes. Females with eggs could take up to 3 minutes to cook thoroughly. Remember to turn them so they saute on both sides. (There's nothing more bitter than burnt garlic/cicadas wings.)
Serve with a little wild rice side.

Also, cicadas freeze well and have a long shelf life if kept frozen. They can also be dried and preserved in airtight bags. Our stash of cicadas usually lasts about two years and we enjoy them about once a month. But there's nothing like fresh cicadas. Delish!!!!!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
If you take time to find out about what you are eating, a lot of non vegetarian food is pretty revolting. Compare the Cicadas beetle:

Non-Https Image Link

To the Dactylopius coccus beetle

Non-Https Image Link

which can be found in a lot of sweets, deserts, drinks, lipstick and others

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
not to mention the ground up chicken feathers in most commercially produced bread...

Lightning...where the *ell did you get that quote from...??

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh, an AOL message board... ubblol

-Mike

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
ive never had an oportunity to try any sort of insects (besides a few ants from an ainthill I ate out of curiosity because I had heard they tasted like mint which they didn't, but they weren't that bad)

Really I don't see what's so gross, a lot of the meat we eat is probably dirtier, and we consume a fair amount of insects that are picked up with grain columbines and ground into the flower, not to mention all the parts of insects they put in tons of food products like flid mentioned.

Oh yeah, ive also eatten a tequila worm which was embedded in this wacky tequila flavoured sucker I had.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
didnt someone with nothing better to do work how how many spiders the average person eats during their sleep in a lifetime?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
perhaps, but ive only seen that fact in annoying chain letters along side facts like.

The real reason ostriches stick their head in the
sand is to search for water.

Or

Did you know your arterial blood is actually blue?

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i think i read it in the "weird yet true" section of Disney Adventures!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
Disney also chased lemmings off a cliff with a camera truck and claimed it was their method of population control, creating the myth of lemmings running off cliff's.

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
The cicadas are out in force today...maybe I should go try some! tongue A friend of mine ate one the other day to try to get extra credit for biology. It smells really bad on my street because of all the rotting carcasses...

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
gross!!!! it's amazing what some people will eat! ubbloco

interesting about the lemmings tho...is that really true?? eek

ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
It is true.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Yall think the cicadas there are bad, try living down here where they never shut up and are always here! ubblol

Thank god for the cicada killers though! (that's another insect just in case yall were wondering)

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
cicada killer wasps. OMFG!Those things are huge! i've seen them. one of the few flying things that scare the jebus crisp out of me!

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
i don't see the revolting bit... the fda allows 47 identifiable insect portion per serving of peanut butter. and thats only one of thousands of products. honey has been partially digested by bees. milk is produced in cow breasts. lipstick contains fish scales. there are many beauty products containing animal or human placentas. skin grafts are sometimes done with babies' foreskin. Rocky Mountain Oysters are bull testicles. many people in india drink cow urine. wool is a sheep's hair. Life is a pretty disgusting thing if you think hard enough about it, but if you're like me, you just visit an insectarium and treat yourself to some chocolate covered ants and grasshoppers and some centipede pops. most insects actually taste nutty, except those with acid, which are sour, or those with an alkiline bite/sting which are bitter. try them, they are mostly really good.... no worse than sushi, tuna/fish paste, haggis, dog, or rat... all of which I can tell you are quite tasty.

slainte beerchug

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

fireboyAn angry young man with a passon for metal
252 posts

Posted:
one site to go to www.edible.com
i want some scorpions biggrin

Fireboy

<<SINister miNISister>>
remeber kids jesus slaves

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I used to eat woodlice. They kind of taste a bit like shrimp.

I don't like shrimp any more.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I was reading bout these lil' critters on a pin up in my biology department at school. Why do they only show up every 17 yrs. Whats there purpose, apart frm getting eaton.

peace Peace Out! meditate

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Their purpose? One could ask that of all life. What's the purpose of a mosquito? What's the purpose of a blue whale? What's the purpose of a human (other than to stuff up the environment for every other form of life)?

I think that what's interesting about the life cycle of these cicadas is that they spend the majority of their lifespan in the sexually immature state. This is actually true of a lot of insects that cocoon. The adult form is simply a reproductive form, and once the animal mates, a very rapid aging process takes place and the animal dies. Salmon do something like this, too.

Mammals (and most vertebrates) spend the majority of their lifespan in the adult state, and the sexually immature form is simply a developmental stage. That makes sense for us because we have to raise our young, so we need to stay alive after mating to take care of them.

-Mike

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
tbey live in the ground most of the time right?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."