Forums > Social Discussion > Point out what passages are flawed in the bible.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
Buzaruka decided to make this challenge in onewheeldaves "religion a way forward" thread, even though it's been clearly stated that onewheeldave didn't want such activity in his thread so I thought I would take the initiative and create this thread for buzaruka.

Heres my passage and my issue with it
Quote:

Leviticus 20:13:
"If a man lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination and they shall surely be put to death."

and in the ten commandments it says though shall not kill.

a flaw? seems to me it is indeed a flaw.

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
the bible is the central "document" that christianity is based on. I believe that, whether the masses take certain things literally or not, its going to have an impacton the belief system. someone will read leviticus 20:13 and take it literally and go out to town and bomb a gay bar. Another person will read it, not take it literally but he will still know that his religions central text has a part against gays in it. its the principle that counts...IMO

and

STONE: taking ur sugestion, i ask you; what do u think jesus thinks about gays and why?

cheers!

EDIT: that above question is open to everybody.
EDITED_BY: the badger with a troubled past and nothing left to lose /Konsti (1085355438)

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Quote:

what do u think jesus thinks about gays and why?

Call me an idealist, but IMHO, a true follower of Christ's teachings would not be anti-gay, they would be accepting; as Christ was with and Mary Magdalen and in the story of the Good Samaritan.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
IDEALIST !

-Alfred Dorfer

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ok biggrin

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
how come u know that the bit about christ and maria magdalen is not made up by some bloke who likes his mistress/hooker/entertainer too much, and just wanted to make it seem that its ok?

Maria Magddalen was a prostitute was she? my bible knowledge is a bit rusty..........

-Alfred Dorfer

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I've always been told that Maria Magddalen was a prostitute, some have suggested that she may have been Jesus' wife/mistress.

I think the story has a certain authenticity, and I used it as an example of the forgiveness that Jesus displayed in all of his teachings. I am not aware the Jesus went around bashing people, it wasn't his style.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Quote:

...Literal interpretation can be dangerous because the Bible is corrupted, unreliable and mostly filled with "man-made" laws. And most Christians, Muslims and Jews would acknowledge this.

So I suggest that people think "would Jesus do that?" before they quote stuff like Leviticus 20:13 to back up their own prejudices, and even fooling themselves into believing that it is the word of God Almighty.

I Fully Agree!! People use the Bible to back up their own Prejudice and Unsecurities! I have lived in Salt Lake City UT, where the Mormon Religion has built the City, State and sorrounding states! These folks are Not about what Crist was teaching at all! In Fact if Jesus came back today these people would not let the man into their religion! (Being a Long Haired Rebel, with a gang of followers, speeking of Love and Forgivness)! They are the most Judgementle and hipocritical people I know! However they put on a great front, and are nice to your face. They will talk about you behind your back and put you down if you don't believe in what they do...
Sorry about the rant ... Carry on! biggrin

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
what i am trying to say is:
if one admits that the bible has been changed by mankind over time, and then deduces that all the stuff along the lines of levia(sp?) 20:13 is rubbish that some ancient prick made up.
Then how can u be sure that all the good things come from a legit source and not some ancient hippy? I mean humans are not just capable of bad things. its a strange assumption that all the harsh statements (such as "kill gays") are made up by man and all the happy fluffy forgivness stuff is the real thing.

-Alfred Dorfer

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Jesus was all about Love and Forgiveness though. I mean his Right Hand Man was realy a Woman, and a Prostitute at that! ubblol That is Mad Love and Forgivness, i'd say!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

what do u think jesus thinks about gays and why?

I dunno, but he (apparently) never married, never had kids, and wandered around with 12 other men.

The significance of this? I dunno. ubbangel

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Fair point. Yes I would have to acknowledge that some of the feel good stuff could be fabricated. Perhaps you should read Burzaruka's post, to which I was responding. And we need to go back to the 10 commandments, which provide a good guide to right and wrong.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

So I suggest that people think "would Jesus do that?" before they quote stuff like Leviticus 20:13 to back up their own prejudices, and even fooling themselves into believing that it is the word of God Almighty.

I heard an interesting theological argument against the "What Would Jesus Do?" Idea.

The idea is that Christians are supposed to follow Christ, but as Christ is Lord, they are not supposed to try to be like Christ. They are supposed to follow him, but it is impudent and arrogant to try to be Christ-like.

Not my argument (I'm not Christian, so I completely stay out of that debate), but interesting.

-Mike

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I dunno, but he (apparently) never married, never had kids, and wandered around with 12 other men. The significance of this? I dunno.

maybe he was just shy with women wink:)
but i can see ur point lightning

-Alfred Dorfer

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:

Jesus may have been Gay, and that may be why his boyfriend Judas got Jelous and gave him to old Panchous Pilot. But I still like the story of Jesus and his Prostitute!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
"Shy with women?" Funny, that's how I explained away my apparent lack of luck with the fairer sex. ubblol

And yes, I am going to Hell for that. But I'm also going to Hell for many other things. And you're ALL going with me. Except for Burz. He gets to go to the boring place. tongue

-Mike

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Yes Lightning, perhaps I should have been more specific, but in my example "What Would Jesus Do?" I was trying to indicate that we should draw from Jesus' examples and teachings.

I think I'll also duck any debate on whether Jesus was God when he walked the earth, or if he is part of the Trinity.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
I am God! I make my own choices to create my own world! I do believe in a Highter Being, But for the most part I can do what ever I want, and be Thankfull for what ever I have. If I want to creat myself in Maui I can put myself there, or if I want to meet some one I will put myself there.

I am God, You are God, and everything around us is God! wink

Therefor Jesus was God. ubbrollsmile

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

trollmember
6 posts

Posted:
first of all: interesting debate :-)

1)what kinda bible:
anything other than the armenic or hebrew version is already corrupted, to bad i can not read those languages :-)
every translation makes mistakes, if you take the king james bible it has already been translated from several other translations, which have been translations by themselves, etc...
i'm just thinking of the issue how we should call god: jahwe, jehovah, jwh, adonai, anything else???

2)new or old testament
there are great incoherences between the two versions, reflecting the times in which they were made, in the old testament, there is a whole different vision on the world than in the new testament, but both versions were written down during several centuries and thus not really reliable, for example the earliest new testament dates from 70 years after the death of christ, what happened in between?

from antropological and historical data is also found that the old testament is the story of not the entire jewish people, but probably an reinterpretation to make certain land claims

anyway, anyone stupid enough to actually think that the bible is literally the truth should be shot at sight :-p

what is more important is the message in the bible:
the ten commandments are very good (hey, they do not say anything about gay people, thus it is allowed :-)), and can be a guido to a morally good life, but they contain nothing that i would not come up myself

so:
why need a bible to guide your life, why does one need a church to feel good, religion are just flowers on the chains of the oppressed

no gods, no masters
soapbox soapbox soapbox

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
like everyone else has said, every bible is different, and is open to interpretation. who's to say whose is truest to the original....?

doesn't the jehovahs witness bible state that jesus was hung from a tree and not from a crucifix??

i remember at aged 12 in religion class, questioning the whole adam & eve saga.

firstly, i attended an all-girls catholic school run by nuns.

at some stage during the class i gave our religion teacher (a nun) the rant about adam & eve having 2 sons, and didn't cain kill abel? so unless one of them sh*gged their mother or sister.......

needless to say i was dragged out of the class by the scruff of the neck, marched up to the head's office (another nun!) where i had to wait in the corridor for over an hour and was then sent home with a letter for my parents requesting they attend a meeting as soon as possible regarding their daughter's unruly behaviour.....

i've been disillusioned by religion ever since then, and have avoided it completely

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
Okay NYC, you need to study the languages of the Bible, those that do and then try to translate the Bible find that it comes out to almost an exact literal translation. Granted there will always be words used in differnt order and such grammerical differences, but that is about it. How do I know this? I know people currently in Bible College and this is some of the courses that they take, so nice try smile

CustomBug in the Jewish society and Lighting can testify to this, especially back then, women of stature did not have premerital sex. The only exception to this was pretty much prostitutes. Now the Bible also says that Mary and Joeseph had never slept together and was considering a privet divorce because she was pregnant, untill an angel came to him in a dream and told him what was up. She had never had sex.

I suggest you find your friend and tell him to bring it on because he can't proove the Bible false.

I am asking for chapter and verse in the Bible not conjectures and heresay.

C'mon CustomBug you arnt showing us any proof just conjeactuers and lousy ones at that. Why would someone who hung out with fisherman and whos staple food was fish not eat meat?

Dentrassi, the laws you have cited using the article are not laws to live by today. Jesus basically rewrote all the laws into just two, can you find them?

Jesus teaches to forgive and to accept, however he also teaches REPENTANCE and forgivnes is conditioned on repentance. So an acting homosexual who repents and is no longer acting would indeed be forgiven.

Lightning, the word Christian mean "Christ Like" so how in the world can you call yourself a Christian and claim not to want to be Christ Like??

You know what, you people are impossible. I ask for proof, and chapter and verse and only one person can come up with anything and even that isnt his own work! If you cant proove the Bible is wrong then dont say it is! Your opinoins ARE NOT proof. Keep your soap boxes because they really arnt big enough.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
oooooh I didn't realise the handbags were coming out! tongue

Quote:

I suggest you find your friend and tell him to bring it on because he can't proove the Bible false

he wasn't tryig to prove it wrong, he was spending his life as a converted Baptist trying to improve the bible in his eyes by removing as many falacies, miss prints, incorrect personal inputs, accidental miss-translations and deliberate miss-translations as he could...of which he found many indeed. he is actually working with the church so I think his opinions have a lot of cred even if I can't quote passage and verse of what he said to me.

Quote:

Why would someone who hung out with fisherman and whos staple food was fish not eat meat?

maybe it was because his staple diet wasn't fish because he was Vegetarian perhaps??? Vegetarians don't eat fish, a fish eater is a pescatarian.

Quote:

If you cant proove the Bible is wrong then dont say it is! Your opinoins ARE NOT proof. Keep your soap boxes because they really arnt big enough.

Now you mention it I wouldn't mind seeing some proof that it is right. I'd love to see you come up with that one! wink

And Burz don't forget that....
Quote:

Jesus teaches to forgive and to accept

....so you really should be far more forgiving and less agressive in this debate. [Old link] hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Dentrassi, the laws you have cited using the article are not laws to live by today. Jesus basically rewrote all the laws into just two, can you find them?

excellent! now we are getting to the point! hang on! didnt you say there were NO flaws in the bible.

Lets just repeat that again ....there are laws in the bible that we don't have to live by today. Those are word from your own virtual mouth.

So who are YOU to decide what laws in the bible are relevant today?

Where is it written that its up to the reader to determine what laws to live by? Because if it was.....hey I might even embrace this entire religion thing!

It states we should be put to death for working on the Sabbath, and theres probably a similar quote about homosexuality there as well.

Why is it that you deem one law irrelevant to modern society, and not the other?

i am interested in the precise quote where jesus summarised the teachings of the old testiment into 2 sentences.

And aside:

Quote:

If you cant proove the Bible is wrong then dont say it is! Your opinoins ARE NOT proof. Keep your soap boxes because they really arnt big enough.

likewise my friend..... YOUR opinions are not proof either. neither are anyones.

personally im having a wonderful time debating this. its great fun! lets keep things cool cool

EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1085445573)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Dentrassi, the laws you have cited using the article are not laws to live by today.

I was about to jump in and say exactly what dentrassi has written.
bazaruka can you just clarify a few things for me?
If you are telling people here in this thread that they are wrong (which you have done on more than one occasion) what is your basis for comparision? Your opinion? The Bible? You just said yourself that there are rules in the bible that are no longer rules to live by.. so that blows the bible as your basis for comparision that right outta the water due to the fact that a lot of the bible is outdated and doesnt realte at all to todays modern society... I mean which christian would put their hand up in todays society and volunteer to stone their neighbour due to them working on the sabbath?That very unchristian like isnt it? Didnt jesus say "love thy neighbour"?... did he miss out the part where you stone them? confused

So that only leaves the other option: that people in this thread are wrong because they dont agree with your opinon.

"Thou shall not judge least ye be judged at the gates of heaven.."

I agree with what you are saying in that the bible has rules that you dont live to anymore. Yet in saying that who tells us which part to live by? You? A priest? I dont think so... Im sick of turning on the telly and seeing another molesation charge being bought up against a priest, Im not about to ask them the moral grounds to live my life...Im not tarring the whole group of priests, Im sure that there are lovely ones.. I just think that a lot of them cannot relate to todays society because they are not OF it...

Quote:

9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Does that mean that the people who have been alcoholics and found God and stopped drinking will not go to heaven? Doesnt god forgive them? Or has their past screwed their eternal happiness?
Does the same forgiveness apply to homosexuals? Or does God choose who gets forgiven? It is not a sin to love somebody. Jesus was a teacher of love. Just becasue the person you love happens to be in the same kind of body as yours you are automatically condemed?
Do female prostitues go to heaven and not male? Is that because of their different physical bodies? Doesnt God judge on the basis of sin in your life, and not wether or not your have a penis or a vagina? Male and female prostitues have done the same thing in their life... or same SIN if you want to call it that.
Is it cool for female prostitutes to go to heaven cause mary magdaline was one and Jesus hung out with her?

There are many contridictions in the bible.

Thats why I chose to live my life as a person who loves every one... even if they have hurt me. I believe there is a God. But a God of Love, not judgement and fire and brimstone (though the fire part would be just lovely)
I see God as an eternal love energy and just because someone else doesnt agree with me, Im not about to throw a book of outdated rules in their face and tell them they are wrong... why? Because everyone is right at their own level of understanding.
I respect that.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

CustomBug in the Jewish society and Lighting can testify to this, especially back then, women of stature did not have premerital sex.

In Jewish custom, the instant a virgin even touches a non-related male, she's married to him. So there is no such thing as premarital sex.

However, if you honestly believe that people weren't having premarital sex back then, you're very naive. Humans have been having sex as long as humans have existed. Marriage, being a human invention, is not as old as sex. One of these happens naturally, the other doesn't. You do the math.

-Mike

psycho44BRONZE Member
56 posts

Posted:
People sin we all do it, but accepting the gift that Jesus gave to us enables us to be forgiven for our sins, so if for example an alcoholic does quit drinking and accepts this gift then yes they will go to heaven. Also yes it apllies to homosexuals also as long as we accept Christ as our savior. We are also to obey the laws set forth by our government and I don't think the law would take kindly to anyone stoning anyone else.There are no contradictions in the bible the old testament is pre Christ once Jesus came and took on our sins, yes things changed, but that does not mean that there are contradictions.I thought this post was about that book of outdated rules so of course that is what we are going to talk about in here right?

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
To Each His Own... ubbangel

Forgive me for anything I may have said to offend... wink

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I thought this post was about that book of outdated rules so of course that is what we are going to talk about in here right?

yes you are right that is why I quoted the bible...

anyway you state that we have to follow the law right? I believe that you will find that many laws have been changed to reflect the changing of the times. Perhaps the Bible should get updated? biggrin
EDITED_BY: Valura (1085472525)

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
Denrassi, let me ask you a question. History books are filled with old knowllege, including laws. Some of these laws are not applicable today, does that mean they should not be in a history book? The Old Testiment is a very accurate, flawless infact, history book.

I me Burz, am not deciding what is relevent. Jesus you know the guy nailed to a cross for the forgivness of your sins, decided and who was he? Gee only God!

Those arnt opinions those a statuets of fact. Look at the US Constitution. Old laws and ideas are still part of the doccument even though they no longer apply, hence the need for an amendment. So as you can see the Bible isnt the only place where you find old stuff still part of the text.

Valura, I am not saying they are wrong I am saying they don't apply today. Did you know that it was a law in the US that you had to have someone walk infront of your car as a ground guide to prevent anyone from getting run over? It was a law and is still on most books, but has been amended. Wrong? Not at all, not needed... that is something differnt.

Jesus said, Love the Lord your God with all your heart soul mind body and streangth and to love your neighbor as yourself. Those are the laws He left us with. The laws previous are to be rememberd as history.

"If you repent of your sins, God is faithful and just and will forgive you of all unrightiousness." Therefore, the homosexuals, drunkerds, theives, and what not if they repent, they will go to heaven.

Just because you found one verse that says male prostitutes and not female does not mean a contradiction, it means that the author was directing his comments at a certain area. Kind of like modern law where (atleast in the US) if you go twice the speed limit you automatically get your vehicle towed, it doesnt mean that you wont get charged with speeding, it is just a law aimed at those going twice the speed limit or more.

Valura, live your life as you see fit. Be happy now, because it is my belief that you wont be for all eternity.

Lighting, yes I know people were having premerital sex. Actually, here is the question for you, did Adam and Eve get married before having sex? The Bible doesnt say to my knowlege, but perhaps from a certain point of view you are both right and wrong.

Marrage in the religious sence is a union of a man and woman before God. So, Adam and Eve were joined before God upon creation of Eve, so from a certain perspective they were married and thus did not have premerital sex. Of course there was no cerimony so in a sence they were not married. A very interesting debate could come from that biggrin

Valura the Bible doesnt change, so how could it be updated? Once again live how you want, in the end it is you who will live with the consiquences, not me.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Burzaruka, if you consider the Old Testament "a very accurate, flawless in fact, history book". Then that is an act of faith, not fact. Because history proves otherwise, and archaeologists and biblical scholars are now asserting that the Exodus of the Israelites from Egypt and their conquest of the Promised Land of Canaan simply never happened.

If the old rules don't apply today, then y do u consider homosexuality a sin? Wasn' it all about wasting seed and not going forth and multiplying?

Edit. Ooops need to check this one. Please explain which account of the Ten Commandments is correct
EDITED_BY: Stone (1085542827)

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Valura, live your life as you see fit. Be happy now, because it is my belief that you wont be for all eternity

It seems to me that now you are contradicting your beloved bible by judging me.. Just because my beliefs are different from yours doesnt mean for one moment that I shall not be happy for all eternity... Funnily enough I know this as I converse with angels every day of my life...

I wont let that type of closeminded attitude distract me from helping other people

As for your arguement that the passage I found for you conecrning the female and Male prostitues, that the passage was the "opinion of that particular author" well kinda shoots down the whole argument doesnt it? I point out a flaw and you try to brush it off... so it isnt as flawless as you try to make out...
If I remember rightly from my catholic school years the entire bible was written from authors views.. so therefor there is a huge amount of room for interpretation...what makes yours correct? Plus why should I take the opinion of other people as the truth for myself in my life now? The bible is outdated and you said your self that laws have been changed to bring about peace in todays life and times.. I firmly believe that the bible definatly needs to be updated... who knows without all the violence and sex and judging that the bible preaches against so much the bible would proberly be half its size... smile

I choose not to take this thread on board anymore because in my honest opinion this is a thinly veiled thread for preaching at people, and I would never push my reliegion on to you... I dont see why in a place I love dearly with so many open minded and accepting people I should be told that I am not going to be eternally happy...
I am a deeply spiritual person and you have no idea who I am, so your judgement on me is infact unfair and unfounded.
Love and light to you. angel

Page: