DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I read about this cult a good while ago and thought it was really interesting. It now seems like fighting in the name of God is starting even on this tiny island.... rolleyes
Da cult

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
I've heard of something similer to this before, though I don't remember where from. The whole waiting for the US military to come back type thing. If it wasn't this island, it was another and it wouldnt supprise me. WWII changed a lot of things around the world. It sucks that they think the US is comming back. What little stratigic importance that little island had is now gone, but the people don't understand this. Now they have this idea that thier god is an American. Sad in a way.

I don't think Fred is a very good prophet at all. To me it doesnt seem as if he is really qualified to go out and mission to other people. It really reflects poorly on Christianity in a whole when someone goes out and does something poorly then to see the results of ill-laid plans.

Quote:

The John Frum cult may be one of the most intriguing cultural movements in the South Pacific, but its days could be numbered.

The Christians may yet have the final say.

I wonder why the author said this. It is almost as if he is going to be writing another article soon so they want to leave you hanging. Building a little hype. It also makes it out to seem like the Christians are out to kill everyone that is in the John Frum cult. An unfair assesment unless they can proove this.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
it does seem that the christian villagers feel aloof in some way - calling the frumalites heathens and whatnot.

and the 'no peace for 1000 years' comment came from one of the newly converted too... sounds like fighting talk to me umm

it presents a worrying facet of christianity (and one that i personally can't stand) and that is that any believers automatically have the moral high ground above non-believers.

that non-believers need to be 'saved' (read 'converted' or 'made to conform' depending on your levek of cynicism) and if they are not saved, then they are immoral sinners who are sentenced to eternal damnation upon death.

love thy neighbour.

unless of course he likes john frum in which case, have the bastard wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You know, it's almost comical...

It sure does explain why some people think that Earth religions were started by alien visits.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Actually the book I first read it in was about how Aliens came to earth and started the human race. ubbrollsmile

Glich in the matrix...ooooo
*cue x-files moosic*

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
They're changing it... ubblol

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura