Forums > Help! > what is the best fuel to use for fire poi

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
zebradavidSILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
id like to find a fuel that has quite a long burning time, as ive found that parrafin just doesnt seem to last that long, all thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated thanx

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
Or try this for DIY catch cans peace
https://www.domorepoi.com/article_how_to_make_catch_cans.php?sid=376e96f5c553d15a2f9cfa75753a35e8

dont know how to do the whole link thing cus i'm a computer retard. redface

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

be careful to use a proper drum tap when accessing drums.
I've seen twirlers pour ShellSol out directly from the drum!
spilled solvents can righteously stain some surfaces.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Great to be promoting catch cans/spin off jars. I been pushing them for a while now and it is a seriously good practice.

I make them from cut down 2 or 3 litre fruit juice bottles, which are generally a squarish shape.

Much easier to work with than metal cans, and fits larger poi heads in.
Non-Https Image Link

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Zuzkastranger
4 posts

Posted:
Hi all smile

I am doing an indoor performence using fire ropes and since now I've been using lamp oil as a fuel. The problem is, that I need a longer burn for my ropes, so I wanted to ask you which fuel would be the best to use...

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I thought lamp oil was pretty long burning...i'd say kerosene but not for indoors....

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
Thread Bump*

So for overall long burn, would lamp oil be the best? Maybe a mix of white gas and lamp oil?

And Towel Wicks, are they still good to use? what are the goods and bads of them? I've been wanting to do longer burns for a while now.

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Mixing white gas would make the burn shorter. I've done it before and what it did do the was positive was make it really easy to light in the cold. I'm not sure how it affects the smoke, like if it make less or something. I might try it myself to see, but if anyone else knows, that would be even better.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
White gas burns hotter, brighter, and less smokey, so a mixture will be brighter, shorter, & cleaner than pure lamp oil, but longer than pure white gas. But remember that there are dangers to being hotter and easier to ignite...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

pepitaonfirethe hottest thing in the north to come out of the south
10 posts

Posted:
I've been looking into trying to find cleaner burning fuels than the ones we have available to us now. The cleanest burn you can get right now is probably white gas.

do folks have thoughts on alternative fuels or does anyone know of people who are experimenting to find more organic sources of fuel? clearly something like bio-diesel wont work for fire spinning. someone (who is not into fire arts) recommended Sterno - the stuff used to keep food warm when its in trays for buffets at weddings and such. it burns extremely clean, with no smoke at all, and is safe to use indoors. but! i imagine that the burn time if you used too much is ridiculous and that it may be harder to remove unless you burn it off completely. it is gelatinous in form, which makes it easier to control but again, i have no idea what that would look like when coupled with wicks.

do folks have any other ideas about alternate, more eco-friendly combustibles?

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".
--George Carlin

2,280 posts

Posted:
Umm, generally if it is flammable enough for fire poi, then it is toxic to some degree. I don't personally know anything environmentally friendly to burn. The best you could do is use a spin-off can so none sprays everywhere during spin-off.

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Sterno's would be bad news... I knocked one over when I was working at a restaurant, and it spilled flaming blue liquid all over the silk table cloth...

The gelatinous stuff their made out of melts as it burns. Bad idea for poi.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ecaSterno's would be bad news... I knocked one over when I was working at a restaurant, and it spilled flaming blue liquid all over the silk table cloth...

The gelatinous stuff their made out of melts as it burns. Bad idea for poi.
Indeed. When they get heated, they liquidize and then it's the vapor that burns clean. It's easy enough to light I think from memory, but having a jelly substance on your poi that turns into a liquid which *isn't* caught in the wicks could look cool, but would also be very dangerous for someone standing close.

Those things burn for a long time, and are hot enough to keep a roast piping hot... Imagine what would happen if you got some on someone. It's not just the toxicity of it for the spinner, it's the safety of it for the observers as well. smile

1,264 posts

Posted:
alright, but lamp oil burns longer? and what about towel wicks? are those safe/good to use?

2,280 posts

Posted:
I would definitely not use towel, because if not the first, then definitely a few uses would result in it falling apart, I think.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Yeah do not use towel.

If you are looking for longer burn times after changing to lamp oil the next thing you can do is look at the style and amount of wick you are using. Really thick tube wicks with less surface area burn longer but with smaller flame than cathedral which burn with bigger flames less burn time.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

1,264 posts

Posted:
alright lol. How bout monkey fists?

2,280 posts

Posted:
From what I've heard monkeyfists have a good burn time. Not sure how long though. You could always go for an Isis type wick. Lots and lots of rope in it, and I've heard multiple times that people only dip them for a few seconds or the burn just doesn't stop. Which I would love for practice. I warn you though the wick to make Isis heads will cost you about $60. Also, with all wick styles, the easy solution to a longer burn is make it bigger! grin

GrottbagsJust Say Neigh
36 posts

Posted:
I agree the shape does have an effect on burn time as does the size
I have some Cathedrals that were made for me, so are much larger than the standard cathedrals. These burn for much longer than my resevoir cylinder poi!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Are they made from wider wick or something? I know I'm making myself a wick using a tornado stitch, so I shall from here forward call them Tornado Poi grin Should be much larger than my cathedrals. Also I got my new chains and other things in. OMG! The NP Stainless steel 2mm chain is so amazing! So much thinner than I imagined! It seriously looks like it's about to snap though, even though I know it won't. The only problem is that it's quite harder for orbitals smirk

GrottbagsJust Say Neigh
36 posts

Posted:
Yeh there is wider wick and more folds in the cathedral to make them larger. Really nice big metal bolt through with a spot weld at the end. The only issue is that they have a fairly big drag factor, so you need to be careful with moves if you are moving from quicker smaller poi. I have come a cropper before and set my cotton jumper on fire!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Haha, my poi should be much larger and larger flame, so it should have significantly more drag.

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
I've come to the conclusion I'm not a big fan of Coleman fuel. It burns a lot hotter than kerosene which is annoying on spiral wraps and such. That and when the fuel is exhausted the flames die out pretty quick. The kerosene I had been using died off slower, giving me more time to properly extinguish the flame.

Does anybody know where one can purchase lamp oil in bulk here in the states? Sorry if I've missed where this was stated already.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I would say try www.lamplight.com that's the url on the back of my fuel bottle. I got a gallon for less than $10 (at K-mart), sure it's cheaper if you order directly from them.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I got my jug of lamp oil at a food service supply retailer; the kind of place that sells cans of beans as big as your torso, bulk packages of tablecloths, etc. The chain is Cash-n-Carry here, but I'm not sure what the equivalent would be anywhere outside WA.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I facepaged you a good sight, check your messages!

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Yay, giant can of beans! Om nom nom

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNoviceI facepaged you a good sight, check your messages!
Somewhat ironic, I had been getting my kero there, but never noticed the oil on the other side of the store. Thanks! smile

1,264 posts

Posted:
huh. so lamp oil sounds like longest

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yep. I've also heard before that ever once in a while do some burns with white gas to burn some soot off or something and it makes your burns a little longer again.

letitburnslacker of biblical proportions
44 posts

Posted:
i prefer to use a mix of camp fuel and lamp oil with the camp fuel its a brighter flame but also adding in the lamp oil it has a oily texture which stick to the kevlar better making a longer burn and no smell unlike kerosine which i have no problem with but camp fuel is transferable so u need to pay attention to your wicks

float like a butterfly and sting like when i pee

Page: