NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Easier than I would have thought.

If you can do a 5 beat, just keep it in-time. You probably already know a 4 beat in time (When you do two circles on each side with each hand at the same time but switch which one is on top)... just balance it out to make it three circles...

For some reason it's symmetrical as all "even" beat weaves are symmetrical when done in-time. (*Edited from before when I was stupid*)

And since it's same time, it's pretty easy for me to get clean. Plus you can break it on the middle circle (the second out of three on any given side) and do flowers and such.

If you can't do a 5, then you've got no idea what I'm talking about and if you can, then you probably already knew... but it was fun for me to discover. smile

EDITED_BY: NYC (1084985304)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Sorry dude, I've not a clue what you're talking about.
What do you mean by "in-time"?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
I think he means clean ubblol good for you man. I still have massive trouble getting it clean (if thats what u ment) usually i end up wrapping just to give it a different effect (and cause my poi start to drift) Unless i go reallllllly fast wink

How u do that? Keep it clean and inline and on the right plane i mean.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Silly rabbits!

"In time" or "Same time" is the opposite of "Follow time" or "Split time"

"In time" is where both of the poi are in the same place at the same time. (Both pointing down at the exact same second rather than 180 degrees offset.)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I'm with you as far as the 4 beat parallel weave. Are you saying you can use the 2 5 beat movements in parallel to get a 6 beat.

If so, I hadn't thought of that thanks. cool Though I still can't visualise it so I could still be lost.

Quote:

Silly rabbits!

you been watching too much Cruel intentions? devil

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Silly rabbits!

trix are for kids wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:

Quote:

For some reason it's symmetrical (Unlike a 4 beat in time weave). Which seemed odd, but a two beat, same time weave is symmetrical too.

Why should a 4 beat in time be not symmetrical ?
Think about the planes your hands spin in . . .

nana
(sorry but had to use this gremlin at least once - and if i am wrong you can use footinmouth )

cheers and not to forget wink

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oops... damn, I'm having brain issues with the poi this week. I guess the better my hands are getting at spinning the worse my brain is.

I'll go fix that. You're right. 4 beat IN TIME is symmetrical. 4 beat SPLIT TIME is assymetrical. I think that's where I got confused.

confused

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

Silly rabbits!

you been watching too much Cruel intentions? devil

Cruel intentions got it from a popular cereal advertizement out here. "Silly Rabbit, Trix are for Kids!" as the rabbit in the commercial keeps wanting the Trix but the kids keep hoarding them all.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i have huge problems keeping any 'in time' weave type moves in time...

so i avoid doing them. id like to get good at it though...

cos when poperly 'in time' i reckon they look purdy, as apposed to a bit shite how i do emm.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
can someone explain to me how to do a in time weave? of any beat count?

do your hands still cross over each other like a weave? I don't see how you can't have some degree's of separation while doing a weave if your hands move like they normally do.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yes, your hands still do weave-like motions. Another name for this is a "parallel" weave. If you know what parallel moves are (chase the sun/moon) ya should be able to put that into weave form. Im sure a search on parallel weaves would shed more light if needed.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i have huge problems keeping any 'in time' weave type moves in time...

so i avoid doing them. id like to get good at it though...

cos when poperly 'in time' i reckon they look purdy, as apposed to a bit shite how i do emm.

They are very hard to keep in time!

I'm not keen on how normal parallel weaves look, but straight arm versions are very nice indeed smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
ok after thinking about it a bit harder I see how it's possible to keep them in same time while moving your hands like a weave.

although I have to ask what's the point? I can make the same pattern with my poi by putting my two hands together and not wasteing effort moving them like a weave, or I can put them both in one hand and do the same.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i might go away and play with straight arm ones...
dont think ive thought of them before.

and i think the point of doing them, is cos you can, which is a good enough reason for me to want to learn it, as i just play poi for the sake of playing poi. so anything to learn is good.

peace

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Quote:

although I have to ask what's the point? I can make the same pattern with my poi by putting my two hands together and not wasteing effort moving them like a weave, or I can put them both in one hand and do the same.

There is a big difference. First off, Id like to see ya do what you said and keep them untangled. Second, when you do it in weave formation, one poi always stays ahead of the other by just a little bit, just like in a normal weave theres the one poi that is always the start of the circle, and one that trails behind it. Theres also the fact that you can split the weave formation up to do parallel seperations, flowers, turns, behind the back, between the legs, etc, etc, etc.

Parallel is the often forgotten third family of moves. If you cant do everything you can do in chase and butterfly with parallel, youre missing out.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Quote:

when you do it in weave formation, one poi always stays ahead of the other by just a little bit

Not really - Can but does not have to - and in a clean parallel weave the Poi should be completely parallel. This is important if you want to "stay" for many beats on one side (which is possible with parallel weaves - Old Thread ) or if you want to do "inverse/reverse/againstthegrain/....." parallel weaves (the same movement backwards). Try a [Old link] first which is already hard enough.

Quote:

Parallel is the often forgotten third family of moves. If you cant do everything you can do in chase and butterfly with parallel, youre missing out.

so true . . . .

good luck

andy

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Parallel Thread the Needle? Huh? It looks like the link is talking about parallel weaves.

I see no reference to a parallel TTN and would like to find out what the heck you're talking about. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
TTN hand movements in parallel time, same direction. The opposite of a butterfly weave smile

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Color me confused.

So it's a butterfly weave but the poi are going in the same direction.

Wouldn't that be ... a weave?!?!

A butterfly weave with the poi going in the same direction is exactly a 4 beat parallel weave. Isn't it?!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
No no no.

You wanna do parallel but in wall plane with TTN-like hand movements.

Like, do a normal TTN in front of you. Stall one poi and make them go in the same direction but stay in wall plane. Do TTN but with the poi in parallel form.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Sorry for hijacking your thread but we are not talking about weaves anymore, the link refers to reels (or whatever you wanna call them) - you dont change sides. I just wanted to point out the theory which then leads to inverse parallel weaves.
TTN - Parallel is probably not the best description but one "could" compare em.

Example: Try to play both Poi in front parallel. First beat the left hand is on top. Next beat take the right hand on top. Then again the left and so on and so on.
You will find out that one beat is quite easy and the other one really hard (and still only 25% of a Full Plane-Twister biggrin)

@ Icon: Tried the BHB,BHH, Waistwrap variations of parallel TTN already?

have fun !

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Nope, havent really messed with any of that stuff yet. But I understand how it works and could prolly get it with a lil effort.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

KorinFoxGOLD Member
24 posts

Posted:
ohhhhh ever since I've learned 5 beat, maybe a little more than a year I've been doing same time. It's interesting how "easy it is" but from what I know, its a little tricky in the beginning, but only if your form in split-time is sloppy. Also after you learn same time, your 5 beat split time cleans up a lot! biggrin

Vagueness defines everything...