Forums > Social Discussion > 'Stick it up their behinds' day

Login/Join to Participate

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
I only bothered posting this because I've gotten a dozen emails about it this week, 6 today, and it's getting old. Here is how the scheme goes:

"IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR BEHIND " DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY. THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

I realize that its a nice idea, us having power over the oil cartels, but it's a pipe dream, (no pun intended).

Firstly, only about 50% of what you pay for gas goes to the oil supplier. The other 50% is costs of refining, marketing, regulating and taxes. The costs of our gasoline has very little to do with what the middle east charges us. The recent jump has to do with a coupla things. Demand, like the demand created when you INVADE another country, and the regulations on gasoline additives. Ask your congressman about oxygenated fuel. You proabably didn't hear about it 'cause it was kept quiet in the media.

Secondly, even if they were making $4.6 billion a day in gas, (just from the US) that means they're missing out on $4.6 billion out of the $140 billion they'd be making this month. That's just a drop in the tank. And there's many other countries they export to. The middle eastern OPEC conglomerate makes a trillion dollars a day!

Thirdly, only about 1/3rd of our oil comes from the Middle East. Most of the rest is imported from Venezuela or comes via the Alaskan pipeline. It's our own oil! And on top of all that, the only real result one could expect from making the oil companies 'choke on their stockpiles' (which they don't have anyway) is that prices will increase. Trucking companies, businesses, etc. will still buy gas, because they can't afford not to. And whatever we rebels don't buy on May 19th will be made up the rest of the week. So it will accomplish absolutely nothing.

Now someone's probably crying about the reserves Pres. Bush is sitting on. There are reserves so that if a supplier were suddenly unavailable, we would not grind to a screeching halt. And most of that would be earmarked for transportation and national defense purposes. Even if we released them into our market, the price of gasoline would only drop by about 11 cents. Not worth it.

The only good thing about the rise in prices is that perhaps there will finally be such a public outcry about expensive gas that companies will have no choice but to start releasing reliable, alternative energy cars, electric, solar, alternative fuels, etc. They have them, but just won't mass-produce them. I've heard the statistic that if every car in America got at least 25 miles per gallon, we would no longer need OPEC oil to maintain our current usage. It's a much nicer dream, isn't it?

This concludes my rant for today. We now return you to your regularly scheduled tedium...

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Plus - if no-one bought it for a day, the next day twice as many people would - thus negating the whole affair

Silly Spam schemes frown

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
This, or rather something similar, has happened in the UK a couple times now with strikes by the distributors. Ultimately it leads to nothing. The only way people could make change would be to stop buying it all together and invest their money in wiser renewable energy sources to propel their asses along this planet we call Earth.

You could start a spam that says go buy a windmill, an electric car, get a bike and let your kids take themselves to school on their feet/bikes but would anyone be even slightly interested in it?!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah and.....

Quote:

The only good thing about the rise in prices is that perhaps there will finally be such a public outcry about expensive gas that companies will have no choice but to start releasing reliable, alternative energy cars, electric, solar, alternative fuels, etc. They have them, but just won't mass-produce them. I've heard the statistic that if every car in America got at least 25 miles per gallon, we would no longer need OPEC oil to maintain our current usage. It's a much nicer dream, isn't it?

We currently pay around 0.80p per liter for petrol. That's about $3 per US gallon. The tax in our juice is around 75% of the total price.

High bills make nothing happen. All you get is tiny cars big enough only if you happen to he 5 feet tall or less!

What's that you say about your cars getting 25 miles per gallon......don't they get that already??? Considering your gallons are smaller than ours I think we get about 30 MPG on average, improving up to 60-70 MPG for the efficient cars.....maybe there is something in higher prices afterall umm

The sooner we're all on renewable energy cars the better

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
I think it would serve to piss em off and might send a message but I am still game even if it dont work, seen as how I only buy gas once every 2 weeks I have 13/14 days that I can give to this cause.