LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
ello to all those experianced spinners and performers, i need some poi busking advice, i plan to get a couple of friends of mine together this summer to busk in an attempt to make money for upcoming trips to New Zealand and London, we`ve got some friends who have offered to play drums for us, but dont have much else established, were all okay, we havent got out of this world moves but we hope that by doing this all the time we can get alot better over the summer.Byn the way this will be during the day. So i need advice/answers:

What moves are appreciated the most by the average crowd?

What places are the best to do it in ?

Should we invest in costumes?

Any other advice would be much appreciated, thank you all>>luv

ubblove

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
Fire breathing seems to be popular, although if you don't have anyone who's well experienced with fire breathing I don't reccomend it.

Fire eatting/contact fire is easy to learn, fairly safer and seems to also be a crowd pleaser.

Im not speaking from a performers perspective but from an audience member who has paid attention to the audiences reactions.

As far as poi, behind the back impresses crowds, so does any sort of aerobatic/leaning over backwards really far sort of stuff. Crowds seem to like it when two spinners stand face to face and spin around each others bodies.

Also, spinning really fast in sync with music.

I think most importantly you need to have a smooth routine that flows together, make sure you connect with the audience with good eye contact and show lots of personality, when performing safety is also extreamly important, make sure you gear is always in good shape, inspect it for signs of wear&tear and possible breakage, always have a safety with a wet blanket and a fire extinguisher who is on the ball, a safety is no good if an accident happens and he stares in shock doing nothing.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
remember that if it's day time you'll want very brightly colours socks or very nice tail poi to make them stand out. Pinks/red are always a good colour to catch the eye on a bright day, as are yellows sunny

Don't forget to keep that smile on your face too!

I like robots suggestion of a set routine, if you can choreograph a routine for about 5 mins or so it gives you chance to build up a crowd and then stop after the finale to walk round with your hat out for cash! Ching ching!

Good music is always nice, and mix it up too. You could do the same routine to a dance song as you could to a rock songs and classical music yet different music will attract different people everytime you perform!

Good luck, I hope you get lots of sunshine and lots of money and make lots of people smile with your display! ubbrollsmile sunny hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think you'd get more responses if you titled this thread better. smile

I know there are people out there who'd love to discuss this topic who probably aren't clicking it.

That's MY advice. cool

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Really NYC?
I thought you would have picked up on the

Quote:

Also, spinning really fast in sync with music.

wink

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
wait what are you saying? audience love fast spinning if it isn't totally spastic. Ive never watched live poi where non-poi spinners didn't react exictedly to fast spinning, or seen a video where the audience didn't react excitedly.

Personally the only form of fast spinning I like is in butterfly weaves or acrobatic staff routines.

But.. im my personal opinions aren't represantative of a audience who doesn't list poi as one of their hobbies.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
He's just giving me crap.

For some reason UCOF has decided that my life is short one truckload of crap and he's hellbent on giving it to me a shovel full at a time. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
thank you all so much, NYC, i could of called it SEX!!!!!! and it would of got attention, but then people would just be disapointed, only joking, what do you suggest?

the advice is fantatic, ive got nice tailed poi, so thats good, but fire breathing is totally out of the question, and we wont be doing fire until later in the summer, sooooo

anyways, thank you, and one no ones answered yet, what kinds of places are the best to busk in? obviously busy ones, but what ese?

Much luv>

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

what kinds of places are the best

Apart fromthe obvoius busy town centres, how about on the grounds of well visited castles, outside museums or places of antural beauty? Generally places where people go to look at something nice and when they get there hey presto! They see something nice! And are in the right mood to give a little more. How about beeches if you want to be busy in the summer and coastal towns?

You don't say where you are, do you have nice places like that near(ish) to where you are?

Let's relight this forum ubblove

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
There's no beaches and certainly no castles where me n' Lyra are- namely, Ohio.

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

I know there are people out there who'd love to discuss this topic who probably aren't clicking it.

That's MY advice. cool

thank you all so much, NYC, i could of called it SEX!!!!!! and it would of got attention, but then people would just be disapointed, only joking, what do you suggest?

How about 'Poi busking advice'?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

robotfacemember
190 posts

Posted:
You can edit the topic still, just edit your first post and change the subject.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Heh... I don't know how it would happen, but if Dave and I ever worked on a project it'd be done exceptionally well, two days early, and grossly underbudget. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
Quote:

That's MY advice. cool

And then miss out on this wonderfully interesting and productive discussion about thread titles? Oh no, the horror.
hug

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."